How do you install the T5 shifter cover?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How do you install the T5 shifter cover??

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

How do you install the T5 shifter cover??

I finished rebuilding the T5 yesterday and cannot get one of the last steps completed. I can't get the shifter cover to line up with everything. Both the 1-2 and 3-4 synchros are in the neutral position as well as the 5th-reverse lever. I can get the shift forks in the synchro hubs with no problem whatsoever. It's the 5th-reverse lever that i can't get whatever tab in the shifter cover to slip into.

I had it all sealed and bolted up when I realized that the roll pin hole wasn't completely vertical and wouldn't turn to the vertical position. I've been trying and trying ever since last night to get it right, and it won't go.

Any tips? The manual says the shift forks have to be in the neutral position as well, but doesn't explain or give any pics. I have no idea what the neutral position for the shifter cover/forks is.

1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Take a look at Hanlon's site, I have the DVD but never watched it, I will check it out when I get home, if you want the dvd, pm me

Tom

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Physically move the collars until nothing internal turns when you spin the input shaft. Then use the collars as a point of reference. Move the forks on the cover to match the collars as best you can using the "eyeball" method.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

I put both the collars are in the neutral position already. I can hold the output shaft still and turn the input shaft. The input shaft and countershaft are the only things spinning.

I can slip the cover on and even bolt it up, but the tab on the shift rail won't line up with any of the notches at the top of the shift forks to change gears. The roll pin hole is either angled to one side of the other, and it can't be turned vertical.
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I remember something about having to offset the cover to the driver side, then sliding it down and over at the same time, If your still having issues this afternoon, I will get back on after I re-watch the dvd

Tom

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

You have to offset it towards the passenger side (the fill plug side). At this rate, I'm sure I will still be having issues.
Unread 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Something is just not lining up with the shift forks under the lid. (not saying that they aren't going into the synchronizer collars, because they are). The horseshoe-shaped interlock plate moves and slides all around when I try to put the cover on. I think this may be preventing things from lining up, but I don't know how to stop it or how to get it lined up properly in the first place. I haven't read anywhere that anyone had trouble putting this on, so I don't know why I am.

Got the cover plate seated once again, but the roll pin hole was angled to one side. Sticking a nail through the hole, I still couldn't turn the shift rail or push it forward or backwards, so something is not lining up as it should. But what??
Unread 06-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

pm sent!

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Well, I just don't know what to do. This is the THIRD day of trying to get this cover lined up and it still won't work where the shift rail is actually oriented the correct way and will actually move and change gears.

Talked to Truck633 and Hanlon Motorsports today. Followed their directions on how to line everything up under the cover (the c-shaped interlock and shift tab). With the interlock pointed down, it STILL won't line up correctly. The cover will slide on and with everything seemingly in line, the cover is 1/2" forward of where the bolt holes should be. The synchronizer collars are in the neutral position.

I even took the mainshaft out to verify that all the gears and synchronizers were installed correctly, which they were.

I am at a loss and about ready to just throw up my hands.
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!! I just happened to stumble across a YouTube video of the inside of a T5, and it showed the underside of the top cover (all I could find so far was exploded diagrams which didn't help me). I was able to see the interlock plate and its position. Mine was COMPLETELY screwed up - don't know how it happened. So I fixed that, and everything slide into place so easily, with the roll pin completely vertical. What an ordeal!
Unread 06-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
CJ8Ted
1985 CJ8 

Good to hear, I've been reading this thread. I had the same problem but dint have a clue how I got mine back inline. IIRC mine would not even line up w/ the shift collers, so yours sounded a little different than mine.

Ted
Unread 01-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Larry007

1984Laredo did you happen to take a picture of the shifter plate position? I am struggling with the same problem.
Thanks Larry
Larry007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.