How do I lower the windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How do I lower the windshield?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 10-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
kcraw
2007 JK Wrangler 

How do I lower the windshield?

After a search on here and google, I can't find any directions for lowering the windshield, which leads me to believe it's obvious. I removed the two hand bolts on either side of the windshield, but it didn't want to move. Is there something else I have to undo?

Thanks

kcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you don't have any top hardware attached to the top of the windshield, those two bolts are all that holds it up. Cowl gasket is likely stuck and holding it. Just push gently at the top of the windshield frame forward.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

on the windshiel hinges, there is a small hole on top. wouldn't hurt to give them a squirt or two of wd40. gasket is stuck on cowl as stated above. put even pressure on each side of frame and slowly rock it. it will go.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
mmerlina
Underground Jeeps

1986 CJ7 

Please note that everyone is saying even pressure! The frame will easily twist and break the glass if you push too hard on one side.

Just go real slow and steady on the pressure.. I'd push at the top center to keep it from twisting.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
kcraw
2007 JK Wrangler 

Damn it. I just broke a hinge!

I did find some tweezer looking things under the windshield frame when I broke it. Still trying to figure that one out.
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcraw View Post
Damn it. I just broke a hinge!

I did find some tweezer looking things under the windshield frame when I broke it. Still trying to figure that one out.
Picture?

10char
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
LibertyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
kcraw
2007 JK Wrangler 

Of the hinge or the tweezers? If it's the hinge, you're a sadist! . If it's the tweezers, literally they are some sort of grooming implement. Being a guy, I'm just gonna call them tweezers.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
TBrock
1986 CJ7 

I got here late. Was going to warn you to put PB or something like that in there.

Once you get your new hinges, remember to keep them lubed with oil (WD dries out).

Tweezers? 4:20?
Default Jeeper #68
MilitaryJeeper.com
TBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
kcraw
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrock View Post
I got here late. Was going to warn you to put PB or something like that in there.

Once you get your new hinges, remember to keep them lubed with oil (WD dries out).

Tweezers? 4:20?
Haha! I bet you're right. Too bad it's just the tweezers.
Unread 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
TBrock
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcraw View Post
Haha! I bet you're right. Too bad it's just the tweezers.
I bought an old firebird back when I was in the AF. I was working on it at the base auto hobby shop and found a big bag (had to be 2oz) up in the dash. They called the cops and the only thing saving my butt was that it was so old it was white! I think my heart actualy stopped when it fell out on the floor!

Now, any used car I buy, I have the cops run a drug dog through it.
Default Jeeper #68
MilitaryJeeper.com
TBrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.