Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

how do i adjust my rockers

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  petey156 
#1 ·
Hey guys its me again this might be a stupid question but i will ask it anyways how do i adjust my rockers. If you guys have any pictures that would help me out a lot. Thanks again

#2 ·
It would be nice if you state what vehicle you have and some of its specifics, like engine, transmission, etc. Also, take the time to fill out your profile. That will help folks determine how to help... we need a frame of reference.

If you're talking about the valve rocker arms and you have a 258 I6, there's no adjustment. The lifters are hydraulic and take care of the tolerance issues.

#3 ·
If your engine has shaft-mounted rockers it will use hydraulic lifters and no adjustment is possible. There is an adjustment for hydraulic lifters & stud-mounted rockers, though, because the lifters need a certain preload. A service manual (Chilton, Haynes, Motor, Mitchell, factory, etc) will have the procedure if there is one for your vehicle. You can also register at www.autozone.com, enter your vehicle info, and access Alldata repair guides for free.

#4 ·
If you have a Siamezed (sp?) rocker set up on a 6 and it clacks, worn rockers/lifters are to blame, but I have carefully ground down the base of the rockers to take out the slack and get some quieter running from my 6 cyls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.