How difficult is it to .... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How difficult is it to ....

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-25-2001, 05:51 AM   #1
GRUB

How difficult is it to ....

How difficult is it to change the steering knuckles on an older CJ? A jeep buddy told me the ones on my 71 could stand to be replaced. The cost of the knuckles isn't too high, so unless a phd is required I think I'll change them.

"The Grub"
GRUB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2001, 09:54 AM   #2
Darko

Changing Knuckles is a lot of work. Everything can be done exept pressing in new Ball Joints. While your at it, I would change the U-Joint in the Axle shaft.
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:33 AM   #3
GRUB

Thanks for the warning DARKO. Mr. Chilton said a special tool was needed for the task. What is it and where can I get it, or is it one of those rent only items? And since it appears that your familiar with the subject, I've seen rebuilt steering gear boxes for other model CJ's that have the gear box up forward, but I've not seen one for mine, which has it just forward of the firewall. Any advice there? I've had the grub for a month now, biggest improvement to date was trashing the rochester 2g and installing a motorcraft 2150 2V. Solved a bunch of problems.
"The Grub"
GRUB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2001, 08:26 AM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can get a power steering kit from Advance Adapters . A ball joint press is handy to have and can be had from a pawn shop for 40.00 . That is what I paid for mine . Good luck on the knuckle swap .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.