How did you get started - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How did you get started

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-20-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

How did you get started

I got my first Jeep (the '45 Ford GPW in my signature) as a pile of parts and rolling chassis back in 1980 at the age of 14. Spent most of my time back then in the garage with my dad putting it together. The CJ-5 came in '86 while home for the summer from college. Done some fun/crazy stuff in both. I still have them both, plus a wife and kids, but the modifications never stop. Still looking for more but current garage space prevents me from buying. When did it happen for you?

Unread 01-20-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
Darko

I was planning on buying a Jeep and didn't like the YJ, it was too civilized fore me, I likeed the rugged CJ. I went into buying a Jeep blindly with no information, and If I could do it all over again I would definetely take another route. I bought my first Jeep last September, I skipped the first day of school to buy it (I was 16, no I'm 17). The guy went to Michigan state and had to sell it for college. In the winter he was in the Upper penninsula and rolled it, then dropped it off a 10 foot drop. He bent the frame up bad, but the driveline was left in good shape. From the looks of the engine it was healthy ran like a champ and was swapped in fora 4 cylinder about 10,000 miles ago. The owner said it was rebuilt. I took it for a test drive, the body and frame were shot, but the driveline was in great shape. I bought it for $800 and he dropped it off that night. I drove it around the neighborhood for about 15 min then the next day I started tearing it apart. I had no previous experience with cars and this was all new to me. I didn't even know how to do a tune up. I stipped it down to the frame and carelessly threw everything all over the place with out regards for anything. The frame was twisted up pretty good, so I found another Jeep for $500. It had no engine, but the owner swapped in a T-176 (I just found out a few weeks ago) And it had a good frame (or so I thought) I got it home then tore that apart. The frame was good, but the rear crossmember was shot and I had to replace it. I got the frame acid dipped and E-coated. Then I had my dad replaced the rear crossmember and fix the frame rails. It didn't turn out great so I'm going to find another frame one day and strenthen the hell out of it. After sandblasting so much My driveway looked like a beach the builup began. I am done with the chassi. I just bought a YJ tub a few days ago and am hoping that I will finish soon, I just want to drive my Jeep! I found a 1978 frame Front D44, Rear M20, 258, T-150,D20 for $400 that I will buy and build up another Jeep. This is where I am currently at in my restoration.

At this point I had 3 months of work into it, not bad for a 17 year old I think?
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:43 PM   #3
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Hey DarkO, Looks really good. Good luck with it. Let me know if you need any advice or information, I've been working on my 2 jeeps for years now. The '73 has been down to bare frame 4 times for mods and have had 2 engines and trans in it. All work done myself to include axle gears/lockers, transfer case gears and engine. I've got a pretty good Jeep reference library too.
Unread 01-24-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
Crash&Burn

In 1966 a guy owed me about $400, I keep bugging him for the money and finally he paid me with a Jeep, about a 42, and it was a Ford. I made a push truck for the local race tracks out of it,
Now 4 Jeeps later I'm still hooked on the darn things. The one I'm doing now is the first frame off, wow what a moneypit!!!

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:05 AM   #5
Bulletproofcj7

I started by helping my dad work on his scoutII out in the garage and by help i mean "gopher". go-fer the 3/8" ratchet or the B.F.H, and "hold this light"...."hold it where i can see what i'm doing"...."GET IT OUT OF MY EYES". I would occaisionally take a break after getting screamed at and go watch TV only to hear "JASON GET THE !@#$ OUT HERE..NOW!"and mom would say in a calm voice "i think your father is calling you" I was probably 12 years old and had other things on my mind than working on this rusty hunk of junk and getting yelled at.
One day he brought home a old international pick up, for "us" to fix up. it sat in the yard for a couple of years untouched, when my father realized my biggest facination with it was how much snow i could burie it under with the snow blower he decided to sell it for about half of what he payed for it for.
Once i turned 15 i realized i wasnt going to be able to get that bran new lamborghini for my first vehicle,and had to set my sights a little lower so dad and i found a `78 cj7 levis edition for $450. it ran good ,looked rough,and over the next few years dad showed me how not to fix things,like patching the steel body with fiberglass so in the winter it would pop out like a champagne cork. or fixing the power steering leak with tire fix -a-flat. (anyone want to buy a powersteering pump...cheap?)
Junior year in high school i landed a cool job working at a local shop repairing and restoring fine british cars like jags and healy's etc. learned to make repairs correctly, had all the right tools available and those lights that stay shinning where you want them.
I eventually found the need for jeep parts like a new transfer case to replace that chain driven quadtatrac boat anchor.
Dad found me another cj7 levi edition for $200. this had a 304 V8. ARGH ARGH ARGH!
I began rebuilding the motor by using those correct methods i learned at the jag shop. (boy is that expensive!)and sand blasting the frame, when i was done the rear cross member was missing! I soon became overwhelmed and there sat the frame for about 9 years rotting back into the ground, and the engine on the stand in the corner of the garage collecting dust.
One day last year one of my best friends bought a cj7 and brought it over to show me.
told me i need to get another jeep so we can go jeep'n (my old jeep had since turned into a big gumball gmc 1 ton.)
I showed him the frame that was growing out of the ground and the welding and fabrication that it needed, he looked at it and convinced me to fix it and build a credit card maxxing work of art by saying...
"That frame aint that bad"
So became my kevlar bodied,Edelbrock powered 304 V8, 4" lifted, 33" goodyear mtr mounted cj7 "BULLETPROOF"
That sits in my garage undergoing numerous upgrades that either werent available when i built the motor or couldnt afford at the time.
Now when i sit shivering in my cold house making payments on my (jeep)visa, because i cant afford the heating bill I cant help but remember my "buddies" words.." That frame aint that bad".
I"d do it all over again though!
Jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2002, 09:19 AM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I started about 2 weeks ago with my first Jeep CJ7. It's an 85 with IL 6, T5 tranny, and not much else. It has 114k miles on it and looks like it's never been apart. I don't want to turn it into a money pit - and I know how easy that could be. I admire some Jeeps that are head turners, but I admire the much used looking Jeeps more. Living in So. Calif., most people don't take em off road. They put flame paint jobs, big fancy wheels and tires and lift kits on em, and tool around town looking for ego boosts.

When I was 15, a friend of mine and I would go to 1000 Palms with his Willys Army jeep and tool around the desert. That was great fun. Now I need the Jeep because it seats 4 (I have wife and 2 kids), and we plan to tow it behind the motorhome. The Nissan 300zx has to go.

I need to fix some wiring problems, ignition lock, new drivers seat, dash knobs, window crank, (for wife), and fuel, temp gauges, battery tray hold down, battery, and new battery cables. I just want reliability. Nothing fancy. I won't mess with the oil leaks because I'm afraid that with as many miles as it has on it, I'd be opening a can of worms. If the motor, or trans ever needs to come apart, I'll fix em then. My wife loves it. She had a CJ5 some 10 years ago and doesn't know why she ever traded it in on a Suzuki Samari. Worse decision she ever made. She loved that CJ, and now she loves this CJ. She wants to get a license plate frame that says "I have more fun with my top off". And that IS the way she IS. She don't need no stinking top or doors. They come off as soon as the temp. rises a few more degrees here.

This BB is a great place to get advise and I'm glad to meet such a great bunch of enthusiasts.
Unread 01-25-2002, 08:16 PM   #7
hollywood

Bought my first jeep two years ago - an 83 cj7 with 2 1/2" springs, hard top & doors for $400. I "gave" it to my girlfriend for her birthday to justify bringing it home. I did a tub swap, and rewired it with an '82 harness. After the new paint, I only had $1500 invested. In the past 2 years I've owned 5 or 6 cj7's - some for parts, some good drivers. I just can't seem to pass one up. I'm starting a rebuild tomorrow on an '85 that I bought for $200 and gave to my brother for christmas. Who knows, it may be time to do mine over again, or there's always that half stripped '84 out behind the garage... ya know, come to think of it, the frame 'aint that bad...

Real jeeps don't have tops

- Jeff
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2002, 04:48 PM   #8
Mugzilla Pavelko

I "Started" with my jeep in 1985,.. when I was in 5th grade! My Dad and I started it with a 75 and a 73 CJ-5. He and I did all the hard work; rebuilt axles, motor (258), frame straightening, and the fiberglass tub bolted on. The project came to a halt in 89 when he lost interest.

Joined the Navy in 1995. Exited service in 2001. My dad screwed up and sold me the jeep and the piles of parts for a great price. Now that I have a job in the area, I divide my weekends between driving out to Purdue to see my girlfriend, or going home to work on the jeep. In one weekend, I bought and installed the hood. I already had the fenders, so I drilled and bolted those suckers on.

The point? I bought it so there will be no complaints as to where I drill holes, how I modify things, what color I paint it, etc...

Mugzilla!

RESTARTING a resto that BEGAN in 1985!

1975 CJ-5, 4WD fiberglass tub, 258,... TONS of extra parts!!!
Mugzilla Pavelko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2002, 07:18 PM   #9
Mugzilla Pavelko

DARKO, dont get burned out!!!

Like my Dad did. It has been so long that I have gained enough experience from helping to restore a 66 sunbeam tiger, and rebuilding a camaro and mustang while I was in Hawaii, that I have taken the project over!!!

Fiberglass is a pain in the ***!!! I would go for a willys overland body. If they are HALF as easy to install, it will be worth it...

mug
\

RESTARTING a resto that BEGAN in 1985!

1975 CJ-5, 4WD fiberglass tub, 258,... TONS of extra parts!!!
Mugzilla Pavelko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.