How did this happen, The Rebuild - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How did this happen, The Rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-21-2010, 06:37 AM   #31
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markso125 View Post
I will agree and I will disagree. Most of the sainless fasteners you buy from the store are a low grade stainless they have not been heat treated, they have not been stress relieved or anything like that.

If you look at most aircraft military commercial the majority of the hydraulic and pneumatic pistons and other high stress components ranging from landing gear to flight actuators are made from stainless steel. In most of the flight actuators we build utilize 15-5 PH or 13-8 PH stainless.
Most of the actuator units you see with the big 3-4" diamater pistons for landing gear and flight actuation utilize hollow stainless steel pistons for weight reduction with a wear resisitant coating like chome or ceramics like tungsten carbide or tribaloy. This dropps the weight of the piston from several hundred pounds to 70 or 80lbs. Doing this on all of the pistons in the plane can easily save several thousand pounds of weight and this is acheivable due to the tensile strength of the stainless steel.

But then again allot of people say stainless steel isnt magnetic either, but they sure do make allot of magnets out of it dont they?
I have seen some of the military contracts for hardware similiar to what you describe and yes they do use allot of stainless. It is a great material and I've wondered why more things aren't made from it. It forms and cuts the same as non stainless, if you get the right grade, and would last much longer.

Thanks for the info on the aircraft parts. Stuff like that is always good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Hey Jim, now all I need is for you to fab up some nice shock mounts and then I will truly be happy . Thanks for the comments guys.
PM sent.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #32
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Dude, SCORE on that rollbar for $100! I have been trying to find a YJ family bar with no luck. Everyone out here wants one.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #33
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Hey man nice find on the tub and frame! You'll have a mint jeep in no time! Now you should find a 360 and a T176. Then all you would have traded the trailer for is a good set of axles and wiring harness Where abouts in NY are you? Anywhere near Whitehall and Mettowee off road park?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #34
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where in New York are you?
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Im on Long Island.
Yeah that roll bar was a good Craigslist score if I dont say so myself. I just got back from a local jeep shop and I think I will drop off the frame and tub and have him weld up the new mounts and crossmember so it will fit right the first time. I did not want to spend the money but I think the welding is a little above my head.
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #36
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Thanks for the info on the aircraft parts. Stuff like that is always good to know.

No problem, you got a nice shop going for ya we got a Haas VF3 here at work I use every now and then. I do allot of tool and die work also, its getting to be an obsolete trade anymore, most companies just want button smashers that they can pay $12 an hour.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #37
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markso125 View Post
No problem, you got a nice shop going for ya we got a Haas VF3 here at work I use every now and then. I do allot of tool and die work also, its getting to be an obsolete trade anymore, most companies just want button smashers that they can pay $12 an hour.
Thanks Mark. You're right, the trade is fading. Seems that everything today is about the bottom line. I worked with a guy that started the trade back in the late 40's, he's 93 today, now there was a craftsman. Everytime he told me something I listened.

My build thread
Unread 10-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I decided to drop off the frame and tub to have the new body perches and rear crossmember welded on.

While I was moving stuff around I decided to take out my old project

And move it to the portable car tent and move the jeep up to the main garage.

Tomorrow I will clean up the garage and start on removing the engine.
Unread 10-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #39
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I yanked the motor out of the frame and it is now sitting on the garage floor. Tomorrow I will degrease it and set it aside until the new frame comes back and is painted. My u joints looked good but one got caught on something and it ripped the cap off and all the splines fell out. What u joints do you guys recommend? I guess I need to start putting some money away for my rubicon express lift, I have been drooling over it for a week now and want to order it asap. Maybe next week. pics soon
Unread 10-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #40
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Nice fox body... what year is it? I got a 89 GT with less thank 50k original miles on the body. In 1992 the PO replaced the motor with a Cobra motor with some goodies. It has FR Cobra disc brakes front and rear (the ones like on the 2003 mustangs) 5 lug swap and FR500 wheels like the new shelbys have. It's out of commision right now too since I need a new wheel and tire since some biatch ran me off the road

Looks like you got a great deal on everything! I was lucky and got a frame for a good price but I can't find a rust free tub for under $800 around here! I guess I'll be fixing my original tub, it's not that bad. I just want one of my play toys on the road again. Getting tired of driving the DD everywhere!
Unread 10-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #41
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

That Ford engine would sure look good in the Jeep.

Spicer u-joints. Might as well replace them all while you're at it, unless they're fairly new.

Great progress.

My build thread
Unread 10-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #42
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

Sad that all the cars up north get driven around is all that winter salt and rot to death ... but on the other hand, it's great to see enthusiasts bring some of these vehicles back to life.
Keep up the good work!
Unread 10-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #43
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamillyCJ7 View Post
Nice fox body... what year is it? I got a 89 GT with less thank 50k original miles on the body. In 1992 the PO replaced the motor with a Cobra motor with some goodies. It has FR Cobra disc brakes front and rear (the ones like on the 2003 mustangs) 5 lug swap and FR500 wheels like the new shelbys have. It's out of commision right now too since I need a new wheel and tire since some biatch ran me off the road

Looks like you got a great deal on everything! I was lucky and got a frame for a good price but I can't find a rust free tub for under $800 around here! I guess I'll be fixing my original tub, it's not that bad. I just want one of my play toys on the road again. Getting tired of driving the DD everywhere!
Thanks, the stang is a 83 with the newer nose and ground effects. It was built with the intentions of being a drag car but they closed down the track near me and now the closest is in New Jersey which is about 3 hours away. The motor is a 351w stroked to a 408 with AFR heads and the tranny is a C4 with reverse manual valve body and a 3000 stall. Have not made it to the track yet and have some odds and ends to finish on it but now with the jeep its on the back burner. Im going to stop by the shop where the frame is tomorrow and see how it is coming along and start degreasing the motor and tranny in the garage.
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #44
HVACCruiser
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Vert,

YOU WIN
WOW, and here I thought my chassis was rotted bad. Looks like your moving right along If you need a hand, give a shout I have lots of extras now that I have the the other rolling chassis in the back yard.
Give a call when you have a chance.

Bill
HVACCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #45
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Bill, glad you found the site. This place is great and filled with tons of jeep knowledge. Sorry I didnt get back to you but I will give you a call tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.