How did this happen, The Rebuild - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How did this happen, The Rebuild

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh......My...... Goodness! I feel for ya. But all in all, a Jeep for a trailer isn't a bad trade. Now if it was a BOAT for the Jeep, I'd be upset. This will be a great, great build. Stay motivated... with the new tub and frame you are halfway there.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

thats what my jeep looked like when i got it rust is a ***** and shes not a cheap date
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

Hey the way I look at buying anything used is I usually go through it and rebuild it anyways. People do some crappy half way work and if I rebuild then I know what I'm driving and feel safe. I don't think I've owned a used car that I haven't completely gone through.

I'm in the same boat as you, except for the body mine has some rot, like 4 spots so I'll be able to fix as I have a welder. My frame was in worst condition than yours though so I got one that was pretty mint.

All I can say is don't get discouraged, take lots of pictures that way you know as you take stuff off where they go. Label as much as you can. Also taking pictures of the rebuild can increase the value of the Jeep if you decide to sell because you can actually show the work that was done to the Jeep.
Unread 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I would look up Totally Stainless as well, they make full replacement bolt kits that replace every nut, bolt and washer that's on the thing. Would be easier and maybe cheaper than trying to get the bolts yourself. I know most of the bolts on mine need replacing so that's the route I'm going. I believe the whole kit you can get for $120 and each bag is labeled for what it replaces.
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Here are some pics of the frame with a coat of rustoleum being applied to the inside. I got the idea from another member and it seems to have worked out good, im just waiting for it to dry now. There is also a picture of all the rust and dirt that poured out of the frame when I stood it up and smacked it with a hammer.

This seems to be the theme of my build-RUST
Unread 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #21
Kostelnik
1978 CJ7 

Wow that really turned out to be a big project. Great deals on the tub and frame though. with those you're at least better off than you were with a tub of rust. Looks good so far, keep it up and keep us posted
Kostelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

that new frame and body just put you miles ahead, and I can't believe the price.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #23
sireland67

If you go the stainless route dont use stainless steel bolts for any structural component, like body to frame bolts etc. Stainless has approxiamatly 1/2 the strength of the same grade steel bolts.
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireland67 View Post
If you go the stainless route dont use stainless steel bolts for any structural component, like body to frame bolts etc. Stainless has approxiamatly 1/2 the strength of the same grade steel bolts.
Is this really true??
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #25
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

It is true that stainless steel fasteners are not as strong as alloy, or grade 8. Stainless is usually not heat treated as are grade 5 & 8. You can find load charts that show that stainless has less tensile strength than regular steel.

Well you started out pretty rough in what you bought but you've been blessed to find a great tub at a great price and a good frame. Glad you didn't go for trying to fix that frame. Keep us posted.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #26
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
It is true that stainless steel fasteners are not as strong as alloy, or grade 8. Stainless is usually not heat treated as are grade 5 & 8. You can find load charts that show that stainless has less tensile strength than regular steel.
I will agree and I will disagree. Most of the sainless fasteners you buy from the store are a low grade stainless they have not been heat treated, they have not been stress relieved or anything like that.

If you look at most aircraft military commercial the majority of the hydraulic and pneumatic pistons and other high stress components ranging from landing gear to flight actuators are made from stainless steel. In most of the flight actuators we build utilize 15-5 PH or 13-8 PH stainless.
Most of the actuator units you see with the big 3-4" diamater pistons for landing gear and flight actuation utilize hollow stainless steel pistons for weight reduction with a wear resisitant coating like chome or ceramics like tungsten carbide or tribaloy. This dropps the weight of the piston from several hundred pounds to 70 or 80lbs. Doing this on all of the pistons in the plane can easily save several thousand pounds of weight and this is acheivable due to the tensile strength of the stainless steel.

But then again allot of people say stainless steel isnt magnetic either, but they sure do make allot of magnets out of it dont they?
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #27
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Carpet - causing cancer since 1946
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #28
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

So if I was to ask the fastener store for air craft quality stainless, that would be sufficient for body mounts and such? What about shackle bolts and other suspension pieces??

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #29
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post

Well you started out pretty rough in what you bought but you've been blessed to find a great tub at a great price and a good frame. Glad you didn't go for trying to fix that frame. Keep us posted.
Hey Jim, now all I need is for you to fab up some nice shock mounts and then I will truly be happy . Thanks for the comments guys.
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #30
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
...The guy told me that it needed floors but otherwise it was good to go...
heh... those words about a NY Jeep don't compute. After seeing the photos now we see something more realistic

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.