How to determine best timing...? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to determine best timing...?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
Really 2X, roll eyes from the 258, Carburetor, ignition, TH400. What's this noise, expert. WTF! Bill
I don't know, Bill....

It wasn't me that got butthurt and deleted an hours worth of typing.

Seemed kinda selfish to me, for someone to put all that information out there only to delete it all...

Seems to happen every time I post a question.

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #32
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

This is my fault.

I knew Vince (2X) had the basics down. Hammer didn't.

I gave the consolidated version, knowing there are plenty of threads out there that give the thesis version. Hammer gave the thesis version, again, which I viewed as a waste of bandwidth, and I got snarky.

I regret that, and hope Hammer will accept my apologies.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Didn't know the posts were deleted, I don't go back and re-read unless I didn't understand the post, or I posted a incorrect answer to the question, to see if I read it wrong.

Keep the questions coming, for the most part, the OP isn't the only person who learns something.
Maybe were all getting pre cabin fever. He!!, I'm ready for summer.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #34
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Vince,

Sorry for the clash of egos on your thread.

Did you have any luck setting your timing?

Matt
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #35
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Sorry for the clash of egos on your thread.
Matt
Me too. Certain posts seem to draw out unnecessary junk from me that I have to go back and delete.

I'm glad the Hammer's back and in better shape.

Shawn
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #36
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

To be honest, I haven't touched it. I may get an hour or so in at the garage tomorrow.

Stupid question here, but I assume I set the specified 3000 rpm using the idle speed screw on the carb....correct?

As I've said before, this vehicle is the first I've owned that I've had to monkey with carbs or timing.... Not to mention, the nearest Jeepers I know are an hr away.
So, I apologize for asking to many requests for clarification.
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #37
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

2X,

I think you bought the same timing light I use, correct?

If so, what I do is is operate the throttle at the carb with my right hand and shoot the timing with my left. It takes a little practice, and some long arms, but it's doable.

If it doesn't work for you, then I'd use the idle screw. Hopefully you'll have enough adjustment to reach 3000 RPM.

Matt
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
2X, I think you bought the same timing light I use, correct?
I did.

But wouldn't that method would require a third hand to screw with the distributor?

I'm obviously missing something here...
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
I did.

But wouldn't that method would require a third hand to screw with the distributor?

I'm obviously missing something here...
Not necessarily. You're simply logging data at this point. You'll go back and tweak chit after you've had a chance look the data over.

Personally, I like the buddy system, assuming you have a warm body to help. Grab a note pad and make a line down the left labeled "rpm". Write 750, 1,000, 1,250, 1,500... etc. up to 3,000 rpm. NO, the centrifugal advance isn't all in at 1,200 like certain people would have you believe. And NO, the main jets don't flow anywhere near 800 rpm. Ok, enough of that. My bad

Have them sit in the cab with the notepad and rev the engine to the desired rpm. Watch the light and holler the number back to them. They write it down and rev to the next line, repeat. If you're a retard like me, PM the numbers to Matt so he can make a graph.

Be sure and plug the vacuum advance when you do this.

Shawn
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #40
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Now we're talking about plotting advance curves.....

All I want to do at this point is get the timing set so I can give the thing a decent test drive.
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #41
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Vince,

You tend to over-think things.

You should only be concerned about one timing number (30-35* at 3000). So, I work the throttle up to 3000 with my right hand and shoot the timing with my left. If it needs adjustment, I set my timing light down, make the necessary adjustment to the dizzy, then re-shoot the timing. It doesn't take three hands, but it does require a little dexterity.

That's about all I can help, short of doing it for you myself.

Matt
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Vince,

You tend to over-think things.

You should only be concerned about one timing number (30-35* at 3000). So, I work the throttle up to 3000 with my right hand and shoot the timing with my left. If it needs adjustment, I set my timing light down, make the necessary adjustment to the dizzy, then re-shoot the timing. It doesn't take three hands, but it does require a little dexterity.

That's about all I can help, short of doing it for you myself.

Matt
OK.

This is what I thought.

I hope to get to the garage today, so we'll see....
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #43
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Ha!! The personality must be common I the name! Vince, you'll get it. I was at the point that I thought these guys were cracking up after each of their posts while they watched me chase my tail. I couldn't see straight. But I kept repeating it over and over. Before I lot the whole damn thing on fire, one time it just dropped in where it needed to be. All smiles since!! Us guineas from NY are so perfect we expect everything else to be too!! What light did you and Matt use out if curiosity?
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #44
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Matt

My vino may have over-complicated things

Shawn
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #45
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs View Post
Ha!! The personality must be common I the name! Vince, you'll get it. I was at the point that I thought these guys were cracking up after each of their posts while they watched me chase my tail. I couldn't see straight. But I kept repeating it over and over. Before I lot the whole damn thing on fire, one time it just dropped in where it needed to be. All smiles since!! Us guineas from NY are so perfect we expect everything else to be too!! What light did you and Matt use out if curiosity?
Vinnyabs, this could very well be the case....

Matt's post on one of my previous threads:

Quote:
I've used this one for two years, most recently with my MSD ignition on the 360, and it works well.

The advance feature is nice, and it reads dead on with the timing tape. $99 at Autozone.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.