How to determine best timing...? - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to determine best timing...?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #151
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler
 
2Xtreme's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Oh, don't worry. You'll get to mess with the new one too

Shawn


2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #152
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler
 
2Xtreme's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
The listing makes no mention of what advance head is in the unit.
And Summit's customer service couldn't tell me.

The guy called tech support, but hey were busy. Said they would email me the information. But who knows when that will be.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #153
ASteve
Web Wheeler
 
ASteve's Avatar
1972 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nor-Cal, California
Posts: 1,479
Like Shawn said...you'll get to mess with new one too...

Not sure there is a standard on what comes in the heads of these dizzies...it's a crap shoot. Plug, play, time, curve and recurve to what YOUR engine needs...seems there is no one size fits all...

SC
__________________
http://www.astevecali.com
ASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #154
swatson454
Web Wheeler
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,527
I've thought about your curve a bit and to be honest, Vince, I'm not sure you'll gain much to write home about. Assuming your numbers are correct, the only reason you're able to get away with that aggressive curve is because of your automatic. Lowering it will likely do nothing more than take away some of your throttle response while it's in gear.

The 32* at the top end *may* show an improvement if increased a couple of degrees but I don't really see it being worth your time.

If this is something you're wanting to tackle this winter, I'd seriously look into the Stealth HEI mod and use an aftermarket module from either MSD or Performance Distributors along with ditching the resistor wire and running full battery voltage to an aftermarket, e-core coil or equivalent.

As much as I'm usually on board for a curve change, I'm not sure that I see it being worth your while.

Just my two cents...


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #155
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 11,252
I'd find a junkyard dizzy with the right advance weights on it.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #156
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler
 
2Xtreme's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
I've thought about your curve a bit and to be honest, Vince, I'm not sure you'll gain much to write home about. Assuming your numbers are correct, the only reason you're able to get away with that aggressive curve is because of your automatic. Lowering it will likely do nothing more than take away some of your throttle response while it's in gear.

The 32* at the top end *may* show an improvement if increased a couple of degrees but I don't really see it being worth your time.

If this is something you're wanting to tackle this winter, I'd seriously look into the Stealth HEI mod and use an aftermarket module from either MSD or Performance Distributors along with ditching the resistor wire and running full battery voltage to an aftermarket, e-core coil or equivalent.

As much as I'm usually on board for a curve change, I'm not sure that I see it being worth your while.

Just my two cents...


Shawn
I see your point and, honestly sort of felt the same way. But didn't want to let you guys down.

You just saved me 50 bucks.

I may do the HEI down the road. But considering I haven't driven thins thing in months I wouldn't mind running it the way it is for a while.

As with any other CJ, there is still plenty to do on it.
(Like figure out what the knock is and if it's worth worrying about)

Thank you all for the help on this.

2X
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #157
swatson454
Web Wheeler
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Last I had the CJ out, I noticed no knocking....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
As with any other CJ, there is still plenty to do on it.
(Like figure out what the knock is and if it's worth worrying about)

Thank you all for the help on this.

2X
Vince, you make me want to pull what's left of my hair out!
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #158
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler
 
2Xtreme's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Vince, you make me want to pull what's left of my hair out!
Sorry Shawn....

Let me clarify:
Last time I took it out for a test drive there was no IGNITION RELATED knock/ ping/ whatever....

There has been a knock in the bottom end since I installed it after getting it from BigJoe.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #159
vinnyabs
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 513
We don't have to end this. If I may. I am in the almost same position and apparently only got half way there. I am willing to change my springs and produce a curve on a t18 and that way futur searches can decide which is best for them
__________________
Earning an engineering degree one CJ7 hiccup at a time
vinnyabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #160
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler
 
2Xtreme's Avatar
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Schenectady, NY
Posts: 1,186
Temps here will only be in the 20's today. So I doubt I will be putting the things back together tonight.

The only heat I have in the garage is a propane salamander, so the fumes and lack of being able to hear the radio over the 'jet engine' makes it seem like a bit of a PITA to deal with, just to reassemble the dizzy.

I'll put it on hold till the temps are in the 30's and I have more to do.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #161
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 9,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Temps here will only be in the 20's today. So I doubt I will be putting the things back together tonight.

The only heat I have in the garage is a propane salamander, so the fumes and lack of being able to hear the radio over the 'jet engine' makes it seem like a bit of a PITA to deal with, just to reassemble the dizzy.

I'll put it on hold till the temps are in the 30's and I have more to do.
You can always find excuses, it's solutions that take a little effort.

Bring the damn dizzy indoors and put it back together. Should take about 5 minutes.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #162
swatson454
Web Wheeler
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,527
Hey, it's national procrastination week... but more on that later.

Here are the search results of something that may help: A Round Tuit

__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.