How to check if axle housing bent/warped ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How to check if axle housing bent/warped ?

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

How to check if axle housing bent/warped ?

Anybody know how to check if your axle housing is bent or warped ?

agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I thought I posted a reply to this thread but I don't see it.

A few years ago I found I had a warped 44 axle housing by setting the housing on jackstands and putting a torpedo level first on one axle tube then the other. My readings were different which caused me to do further checks which confirmed my readings with the level.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

You posted to my amc 20 rebuild thread. I'll try putting the level on the tubes don't know what else to try.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

The best way is to get a straight peice of round stock steel that is as close in diameter as possible to the splined end of your axle shafts. Remove the shafts and slide the steel rod through the housing so it protrudes from each exle flange (if you have a thrust block installed you'll have to take it out to be able to slide the rod through). Then take mesurements from the top and bottom of the rod to the bearing bore. If the measurements between top and bottom aren't equal on either tube then it's bent up or down relative to the centerline of the differential case.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The procedure with the level could be considered a rough check. I did a more detailed check once I found the discrepancy with the level. What I did was to turn 2 plexiglas (because that was the material I had) discs in a small lathe the same size as the wheel bearing bores. I then drilled a small hole in the center of each disc before removing it from the lathe. The hole size was just big enough to allow 20 lb. test fishing line to pass through. Then I installed each disc into the wheel bearing bores with a piece of 20 lb. test fishing line stretched the length of the housing between both discs. I attached the carrier bearing caps and measured the diff bearing bore location relative to the center line (fishing line). I found that the housing was off by 1/4". I worked in a calibration lab so I had a good assortment of tools and equipment at my disposal.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.