How To Change CJ7 Heater Core w/out Removing Dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How To Change CJ7 Heater Core w/out Removing Dash

Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
cjdriver79
1979 CJ7 

How To Change CJ7 Heater Core w/out Removing Dash

Hi all,
My heater core went out last summer so I just bipassed it. Now that winter is here it may be about time to replace it.

I drive a 1979 CJ7, I recently just installed a dual-battery tray and have the throw switch for the two wired to my glove box (including my fuse panels). It would be really nice to not have to rip out all that wiring to get to the heater core.

Any tips on the easiest way to change it? Or just a step-by-step on the process. Both of the manuals I have don't cover heater core changing so I'm walking in the dark on this one.

All help would be appreciated. Thanks!

cjdriver79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled mine out with the dash in place, just removed the glove box liner. That gives you just enough room to wiggle it out.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

One of the many recent threads on heater core removal...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ht=heater+core

Use the search function, you'll find plenty of help!
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
jeepmaniac
1976 CJ5 

I believe the only way to replace the heater core is to remove the heater box assembly from the interior. There are 5 or 6 nuts on the engine bay side of the firewall that must be removed to get the box out (spray the nuts with Deep Creep or something similar because these are studs welded to the heater box cover). There are several screws that attach the cover to the box (that are on the firewall side of the box - can't get at them without removing the box). The core is inside. I think you must disconnect the heater control cables and the defrost duct also. You may need to take the glove box out to have enough room to slide the box back and get it out.
jeepmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

There are 4 nuts on the inside of the firewall. Not sure how your wiring is done but I don't think I removed my glove box when I did my upgrade and replaced the heater core. And you do have to remove the whole black box assembly.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
cjdriver79
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittlecj View Post
One of the many recent threads on heater core removal...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ht=heater+core

Use the search function, you'll find plenty of help!
I tried searching "Heater Core" "Heater+Core" "Heatercore" and "heater" and had no luck finding anything that I could use, that's why I started the new post.

I found 4 1/4-20 bolts sticking out of the firewall and put some deep-penetrating oil on them. Hopefully tomorrow they'll free up enough to loosen. Looks like I will have to take out my switch (a.k.a glovebox) I'll try and post some photos of my process for everyone.

Thanks,
cjdriver79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

I tried to replace my heater core last winter but the nut that is behind the valve cover turned in place so i now have to cut that one off. So, be gentle
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
newjeepowner

I recently did the blower upgrade but didn't change the core. I didn't have to remove the dash or the glovebox.

Took out the battery and tray (you might not need to do this but it improves visibility), located the bolts and disconnected the hoses to the core from the engine side.

Inside, disconnected the heater box cables (3) and wiggled out the whole black heater case without too much difficulty but did have to finesse it a bit.

good luck!
newjeepowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
whittlecj
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdriver79 View Post
I tried searching "Heater Core" "Heater+Core" "Heatercore" and "heater" and had no luck finding anything that I could use, that's why I started the new post.

Thanks,
Funny, when I searched for heater core I came up with many on the first page that explain it, including the one I posted. I dunno if this works, but here are my search results. I just had this on my mind because winter weather has got quite a few posting about it over the past couple weeks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/searc...archid=3331621

Anyway, more pics and a better write up will always serve people better!
whittlecj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
86cjlaredo
1986 CJ7 

What is the blower motor upgrade for the cj7? I think or heard its from a Chevy blazer but not sure. If anyone has any idea please shoot me an email.
Thanks!
86cjlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cjlaredo View Post
What is the blower motor upgrade for the cj7? I think or heard its from a Chevy blazer but not sure. If anyone has any idea please shoot me an email.
Thanks!
If you Google "jeep cj heater blower motor upgrade" you'll get plenty of information.

The basic idea is that you can use the correct blower motor from a Blazer. This will move a lot more air than the stock motor, however you need to enarge the hole in the firewall.
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
DucST4

1984 CJ7 

I found it was easier to remove the heater box assembly with the passenger seat removed. Standing on the outside and leaning into the CJ and fighting with the box was hard on the back.
DucST4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
85cjowner

Smile Removing the heater box assy

You need to pull out the heater box assembly.

On the CJ7 there are 4 nuts on the firewall that will allow the unit to be pulled out. No fasteners located inside the passenger compartment.

One of the 4 nuts is directly behind the valve cover on the center of the firewall (4.2L) engine.
Disconnect the blower motor quick connect on the firewall below the battery tray.
Disconnect heater hoses (obvious)
Remove the 90 degree rubber overflow tube below battery shelf.
Disconnect the 3 linkages inside on passenger side. Removing the passenger seat is wise as it gives you more access.
Remove the glove box
I also removed the battery and tray and this made it easier.
Place the unit on you bench and remove the back plate to gain access to the core (about 10 hex head screws).
Replace the core and install back plate (be sure to align the 2 damper pivot shafts into the holes on the back plate).
85cjowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
CSP

Umm, I hope the OP got the job done, given this thread is almost seven years old!

Check the dates before replying newb.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Umm, I hope the OP got the job done, given this thread is almost seven years old!

Check the dates before replying newb.
85cjowner,

no big deal. I've done this myself as have many others. Easy to get wrapped up in the post without paying attention to the 'other' info displayed. Guys will respond to a trans thread assuming it's for a manual trans when the OP has an automatic, or post on a particular year when the OP has something different. Happens all the time. Welcome to the forum
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.