How can I tell what type / height of a suspension lift (leaf spring) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How can I tell what type / height of a suspension lift (leaf spring)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
tlhigh
1980 CJ7 

How can I tell what type / height of a suspension lift (leaf spring)

1980 Jeep CJ7

The jeep currently has 38x12.50x15 tires. It's got a 3" body lift. It also has a suspension lift (either 2 1/2 or 4 inches rough country) and a shackle lift. Wedge on the back springs...

The wheel wells have been trimmed and the front fenders cut and shaved to allow fit of the larger tires.

I want to drop the jeep back down to a 2 1/2 suspension lift and no body lift or at most a 1" body lift... and replace the front fenders back stock. Planning on running 31 or 32's instead of the 38 and if necessary I'll replace the rims as well to go to 15x8 instead of the 15x10...

How can I tell the size of the suspension lift and/or whether the pitman arms have been replaced or a transfer drop kit has been installed?

Any other information or parts I may need that I haven't thought of in order to drop the jeep?

Terry

tlhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #2
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

dpes the springs sit on top of the axle,or below? beings RC lifts tend to sag,I would venture to say you probably have a spring under 4'' with the body lift..

for the parts listed,look at the steering box where the drag link mounts and look for one of these

and for the tc drop,there will be a spacer of some sort between the frame and skid plate,so if theres a gap theres a drop
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
tlhigh
1980 CJ7 

Leafs sit below the axle... leafs, wedge, bracket, axle
I'll check for the steering arm pictured as well as the space between the frame and skid later today... Try to get some pics posted as well...

After reading some other posts, I think the shackles are providing about 2" of the lift (about 4 inch of shackle should give about 2 inch of lift)...

It may not even have a leaf lift. Could the lift just be provided by a 2" shackle lift and larger shocks? (wedge in rear to just reposition for the drive shaft?)
tlhigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.