How can I convert my DJ5F into 4x4? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How can I convert my DJ5F into 4x4?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
customdj5

How can I convert my DJ5F into 4x4?

What is the best loaner jeep to use? I am going to assume a CJ5? I have a 1978 Am Gen DJ5 that I cut off the whole top; looks kinda like a CJ5. It is currently 2wd RHD. I want to keep it RHD but get it to become a 4x4. I have a minimal budget I am looking to use, what is the most effective and cheapest way to go about this converison? I currently have 31's on the truck and cut the fenders so there is clearance. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in Advance. PLease PM me the info if possible.

customdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Well to convert you need a transfer case that will mate to your transmission and a complete front axle. The DJ5 will accept all the 4wd parts from the CJ5 as far as I know and the same shoudl be true of the CJ6, 7 & 8 so you have a lot of years to scavenge from.

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
customdj5

Thanks for the response, any one else have any ideas?
customdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Back in the mid 90s Four Wheeler did a JEEP FOR CHEAP article series where they did just that. In short, your 78 has a 2 WD TF727 so you will need a 4WD tailhousing or a novak adaptor for a t case like the Dana 300. New front and rear driveshafts will need to be made. The trans pan will need reworking to clear the front driveshaft. The front axle (from a narrow track CJ) will not fit under the engine cradle as is, so it will need to be chopped and reworked to allow clearance. Them theres shifters comming through the floor, etc, etc.
Honestly, dive it around as a fun convertible, but I would sink that time and money into a real CJ. JMO.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Last edited by only in a jeep cj; 09-15-2009 at 12:50 PM..
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.