How big of an air filter do I need? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How big of an air filter do I need?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

How big of an air filter do I need?

Running the Holley 390 on my 258 and right now I'm running a small holley air filter that is triangular in shape but I'm not sure how good it really is with the washable filter. Not alot of clearance for a large filter.

Thoughts on how much filter I need and what I might use?

Current filter and location can be seen in this pic:

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The bigger the better.

I've seen an offset air cleaner off some truck that fits the MC2100 and should fit your Holley. You could get an 90* adapter and make a separate box or performance air cleaner that you can tuck away someplace.

I've made my own before with some thick flat sheets of aluminum. I just laid a filter on top cut to fit and then cut an opening for the carb. It worked as an open filter but if you have any skill with a welder you could make it enclosed.

In fact, with all the talented fabricators on site, I'm surprised no has made a custom one to sell. Hint Hint...

Maybe something like this with the with the cold air intake on back or side to a intake on the side of the hood. Real easy to hook up a warm air connection also for winter.
air-cleaner-box.jpg  
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Those foam things are a fire hazard. I've seen more than a couple of engine fires caused by a back fire through the carb. They're really restrictive too.

I know you're tight on clearance with the brake booster but I think you can squeeze a 4 inch high x 8 inch diameter filter in there. There are also several cool-air enclosures you can purchase that will help a little on power. I think it was gojeepin that posted links to several of them a week or so ago.

I'd try to dig them up for you but I've got to get out the door. I'm serious about the fire hazard thing.

Shawn
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
. I'm serious about the fire hazard thing.

Shawn
Well that's no good at all! I'm starting to remember that when I picked this up from the PO he gave me a monster setup that he had made but not installed. I've got to find that box. Seems as if it had two of the "cone" typ filters on the end of some sort of tube.....my memory sucks.
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
WelderX
1985 CJ7 

I second that on those foam air cleaners. They are dangerous.
WelderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

Snuck home at lunch and found this system that the PO had installed. Had all the hardware and went right on....better than the other? Will it flow enough air?

Unread 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I've never seen a set up like that before. It'll flow plenty of air! No fire hazard, and it isn't pulling smokin' hot air from directly over the header. I'd say you're in business

Shawn
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82KansasCJ View Post
Running the Holley 390 on my 258 and right now I'm running a small holley air filter that is triangular in shape but I'm not sure how good it really is with the washable filter. Not alot of clearance for a large filter.

Thoughts on how much filter I need and what I might use?
We tested those on the dyno, they are about worthess.

What worked on the dyno,
Assuming a 12" in diameter air filter, you need an inch for about every 100 Cubic Inches of displacment.

You can use a LARGER DIAMETER filter for more surface area when you reduce the height, like those 14" filters Edelbrock & Holley are so fond of,

And you need extra filter above about 5,500 RPM since Reversion is going to be an issue and the turbulance inside the air cleaner.

The WORST thing you can have for a filter is what is shown in the picture you posted!

The second worst thing you can have is a 'Velocity Stack' with a little fiter inside it...

I don't use K&N any more, found dirt tracks inside the carb, and I won't have that.
If you oil a K&N enough it doesn't pass dirt, it's restrictive,
If you let up on the oil, it lets dirt pass,
So I don't use them.
-----------------------------------
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

JH, So the triangle one is worthless & the K&N style is crappy too?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.