How To Adress Cracked CJ5 Frame? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > How To Adress Cracked CJ5 Frame?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

How To Adress Cracked CJ5 Frame?

So on the last wheeling outing, I cracked my frame just foreward of the Front leaf Bracket on the Drivers Side Rear. I belive it was cracked before and welded up and just cracked along the weld. My question is how should I go about fixing it? Its cracked all the way from the very bottom of the "c" and up about 3/4 of the way up the frame.

Getting a new frame for me is out of the question, theres so many things welded onto the existing one and built off of it that would turn into a money pit.

The options Im looking at now are...

Sand down the area and lay a bead overtop of the crack on both sides of the frame.

Sand down the area and put a piece of 1/4" plate over it and weld/bolt it in.

Get a piece of L steel and shave one side so it doesnt protrude from the frame and weld it to the inside.

WWYD?

55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

What I have read on JF...
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the crack from "running".

What I have done on a similar fix on my 5 frame...
Grind out the crack to a shallow "V". Weld a good bead in the "V". Grind it smooth. Cover it with a piece of 3/16 steel to overlap 3"-4" and weld. 1/4" will work but is serious overkill.

Good luck. Post pics.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/

Last edited by Skerr; 07-24-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: add comment
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
What I have read on JF...
Drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop the crack from "running".

What I have done on a similar fix on my 5 frame...
Grind out the crack to a shallow "V". Weld a good bead in the "V". Grind it smooth. Cover it with a piece of 3/16 steel to overlap 3"-4" and weld. 1/4" will work but is serious overkill.

Good luck. Post pics.
I've also heard from an old guy who has done some frame work. When you cover the initial weld with the 3/16 steel. lay it over the weld diagonally(diamond shape). He says you don't want the weld on the patch plate running in the same direction as the initial (crack) weld ??
For what it's worth. I had one good size vertical crack on my CJ5 frame. I did do it this way. Time will tell.

My (or his) 2 cents worth.

Good luck.
Patter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I usually just grind a "V" and weld it up. Might want to really check the area well to make sure it's not cancer-ridden.

Had a Toyota guy pull up last weekend with a, "Hey, can you weld this little crack real quick?... should only take a minute."

Upon inspecting the area, I found that whole section of frame was rotten to the point of being able to "squeeze" it in by hand... like a beer can.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Make sure the frame isn't rotted, if it's still good grind the crack out and weld it. Then I would plate it too for some extra insurance.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
giddyupgo55
1977 CJ7 

Welding teacher form high school helped my brother to fix his frame. Grind it out and weld it up, then plated it on the outside and then the inside. Never had a problem after that, and little brother had a massive lead foot when it came to playing.
giddyupgo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
howelljeep
1979 CJ5 

If the frame is strong enough to have it fixed, clean it out like stated above and then put a "fish plate" over it and weld it in. It's basically a diamond shaped piece of steel that will help spread the stress from the crack to the rest of the frame.
1999 Dodge Durango
howelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
jalves3
propitius

1967 CJ5 

I make the plate rectangular with the corners cut off to only leave about 1/2 the height remaining as a vertical line. Then I weld everything but the vertical ends of the plate.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves3 View Post
I make the plate rectangular with the corners cut off to only leave about 1/2 the height remaining as a vertical line. Then I weld everything but the vertical ends of the plate.
thats the way i would do it. just finished my class on weld failure and repair, by leaving the ends that are in parallel to the crack unwelded you reduce the shear load on the crack you welded.

if i understand the crack you have correctly
1)"v" the crack to insure that the weld gets max penetration
2)get a piece of L about 2-3 inches on each side if you have room, 1/8 or 3/16 is thick enough
3)cut the L corners, leaving about 1/2 to 1 inch from the bend in the L
4)weld the L on all side except the 1/2 to 1 inch spot you left when cutting

a lot of work but shouldn't crack any time soon
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

Also dont use metal that is alot thicker than the frame because when you heat the two pieces when welding they will both expand and then contract at different rates. This will cause a huge amount of stress at those new welds and a possible future failure. Allways try to use the same thickness metal.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Darthteddy
1955 M-38 

Good tip on using the same thickness of metal. Didnt even think about that.

Hopefully Ill be able to get after this next weekend and post some pics. I stop drilled it to keep it from getting much worse. The frame was already repaired from a crack by one of the POs about 4 inches south of where this one is so I might put a plate over that one as well just to be safe.

When welding the plate one, do you think I should stitch weld it in or just run the whole bead. Im used to UniBodys where its gotta be. Not had too much experience welding onto these thin C frames on older jeeps yet tho.
55 Willy's M38a1 - 231v6, 33" Super Swampers, D44 Full Floater Rear, Locked Front and Rear, 5.38 Gears, Viair OBA, Bilsteen 5100 shocks, Dana 18, Turbo 350, S10 Power Steering, Tilt-wheel, Full Cage, Flat Fenders....
Darthteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Stitch it first then, when you're sure you're happy with it, weld it completely. Grind it smooth, prime and paint.

I would add that if it is not a large piece of metal, weld it up with one weld. If you end up with something bigger than discussed, you should weld it in sequences to avoid warping the frame. Also, if you have another cack in the same general area, be sure to inspect the frame a little more closely. Look for rot or deteriation, thinning of the metal etc. Sounds a little suspicious to me.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
T18A
1977 CJ5 

-

Last edited by T18A; 07-31-2010 at 11:59 AM..
T18A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

the frame in 1/8" so if your using a cheap 110v wire feeder they might get full penetration more than likely not. if you have a 135 amp 110v welder it will get good penetration into the metal but shouldn't burn though 1/8". so i would weld the hole thing in one shot.

Tags
crack , cracked frame , frame repair , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.