Hours to do a Frame-Off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hours to do a Frame-Off

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
CW81Scrambler

Hours to do a Frame-Off

Would you gentlemen please give me your best guess/estimate on the time it will take to do a frame-off on the ol' Scrambler?

New tub and fenders, some engine work, rebuild tranny, new suspension, brake and fuel lines, new hoses, rebuild carb, and anything else that will go with the job.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space, time, or all the tools to do this myself. A friend of my dad's will be doing the work in his shop when he has spare time.

Any input would be appreciated. There's a lot of experience on this forum. Thanks

CW81Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I guess it depends on what you expect when it is all done... I have done a few frame offs and I put 600+ hours into them, but I wanted things done a certain way... a lot of time back and forth to the stores and on the Internet looking things up and ordering stuff.

On the other hand, I know people that have done a tub swap in a weekend and call it a day with mismatched tub and body panels.

It is all what you expect when you are done.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

All and more than you have--
LG
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
CW81Scrambler

Most parts will be there for him to mess with right away. It's all going to be repainted but not by him.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

A lot depends on the current shape as well... if you can't get bolts out and disassemble it quick enough, that chews up a lot of time.

If you don't care about the existing tub, then a sawzall cuts your time considerably.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
CW81Scrambler

The existing tub is pretty much a POS,but I'm sure he'll keep it around for reference. Most bolts on the body are rusted together, so that's a small setback.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Budowski
1978 CJ7 

I've spent about 80 hours tearing my 7 down and documenting/labeling/learning. Another 80 getting tools and parts online or hardware store trips. Untold time reading and asking questions. I'm budgeting 450 hours and $8500 to get mine done.

Ive never rebuilt anything automotive before. Its a love hate relationship. Old jeeps get oil everywhere. Good luck!
Budowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Are you independently wealthy? Paying someone to do that kind of a job can add up to some serious coin.

Now if he is just going to take the torch to it and do a down and dirty removal of everything, that would likely be close to a days work stripping it.

With all the new parts on hand, a day for suspension and plumbing. A day for the tub and wiring. An hour to rebuild the carb. A day to get it running and for miss stuff.

Then for reality's sake double that..... Restores normally take twice what you figure for time and twice what you figure for money.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
CW81Scrambler

This guy owns his own shop. So he's a professional, gets most of the town's business. He will not be charging regular mechanic's wages.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW81Scrambler View Post
This guy owns his own shop. So he's a professional, gets most of the town's business. He will not be charging regular mechanic's wages.
Thats great.....but even at $20/hr you could easily hit $5000 in labour alone. Doing it yourself is one thing.....because your time is free. Having someone else do it for you is one of those things where you need to get a quote for what you'd like the final product to be.....then double it to be safe.

What is your budget for this build? if you don't have one, you need to figure that out before you (or he) even turn a wrench.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

Money is one thing, but time is another... you mentioned his "spare" time, so if that is afterhours, off the clock stuff, that could take a while... if it is a fit you in between other jobs, then it would be quicker, but still take some months I would imagine... space is another thing, to have all the parts that come off cataloged, etc. he needs to have a bunch of room and be willing to lose that room for the length of time it takes to do the job.

A Scrambler frame separated from its tub takes up a LOT of room... and a new tub as well there, it does tend to stack up.

I have a 24x22 workshop and when I work on the Scrambler it takes up the majority of it... rolling chassis on one side and the body on a cart on the other... plenty of room to work, but the parts are up in the loft and not in the way.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
CW81Scrambler

I'm thinking about 14-15K. As I said before, I'd do this all myself if I could. He's going to be doing most of the mechanical. He knows someone that will be opening a shop for the paint and will hopefully be willing to so things a little cheaper since he's just starting out. I'll do some of the little finishing things when the majority of things are done.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
CW81Scrambler

We've been talking and he's willing to do this. I don't expect it to be done quickly, even though that would be nice. He'll be working in between jobs and some after hours/weekend. He's currently doing an old Packard if I remember right.
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #14
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I torn mine apart in 1999 with the intentions of getting right at it. Very long story short ,the final reassembly,there was more than one, started in 2010; still took until early 2013 to get it done. Surprised I could even find virtually all the parts. Just found the overflow bottle stashed in a corner.

Unless he is committed, it could take a long time. Body man with "spare" time? Didn't know there was such a thing??

Good luck, l hope it goes well for him.....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #15
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Personally I'd make a list of everything you want to address and get the cost of all the required parts. Then highlight the things you will do yourself. Then take whats left of the list to him and get him to estimate the time required to complete the list. If you do that you will know the hard costs like the parts. If you add his estimate of time at the rate he is giving you that will tell you if your budget is within reason. If you find your estimate is within 25% of your budget I would either scale back the build or find more budget. Unless he is willing to give you a hard quote for what he is doing for you (which probably isn't likely given the reduced rate)
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.