Hot Wire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hot Wire

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Hot Wire

Started my CJ7 258 with nutter bypass after putting it together from PO. Don't know if wire colors are original but I'll try to explain. The wire that goes from the I terminal on the ignition relay to the solenoid also has a Red wire that goes to the constant "Run" power connection when Jeep is started. It connects to a group of yellow wires also. The problem is JUST this Red wire gets warm. NOT the wires that its connected to. Green wire off of relay and yellow wires that go to the fuse box and wire that goes to solenoid all stay cool. What's up with this??? Thanks for any help I could get.

Chlarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

sent pm..
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Good news, its normal and working properly.

It's the resistance wire to the coil that drops the power to the coil. Since its a resistance wire, it gets warm. If you put in a high output coil that had a lower resistance primary winding, then the wire gets hotter.

If you are running the stock ignition system, you need this wire or do a stealth HEI setup. If you are putting in an HEI style distributor, you can remove this wire and put in a regular wire.

Without this resistance wire, you will be burning up ICM's.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Should this be a special type of wire or do you use a regular wire? I don't know what the PO changed under the hood.
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

It's red with white tracer.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes it's a special type of wire.
It's a resistance wire.
About 1.34 ohms for that length.
You could use a ballast resistor in place of it.

it starts at this splice and goes to your coil

Unless your PO made some modifications.

If you use regular wire you could burn up your coil or ICM.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

That looks like it but the other wire going to the ignition module is a thinner green wire. What size wire should that be? The wire going to ignition switch is heavier but yellow. I'm assuming that's a regular wire also???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.