Hot Dip Galvanized Tub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hot Dip Galvanized Tub?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-03-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Hot Dip Galvanized Tub?

When I get my frame done for my CJ6 I am figuring on hot dip galvanizing it. Got to thinking, what about doing it to the entire tub prior to Bondo and paint. Figure if I replace all the metal and delete the wood in the support channels prior it should help the body hold up.

Has anybody else tried this before?

Unread 09-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

The temperature of the molten zinc will probably warp the heck out of the body panels.
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
EZCJ
1984 CJ7 

I purchased a replacement tub a few years back. The vendor suggested a spray on bed liner underneath the tube and inside the tub. The spray on liner looks like it is holding up quite well.
EZCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I fabricate allot of things that get hot dip galvanized and when it came time to do the frame off on my CJ I did get the frame done. It turned out fine. I would not consider the tub though. As Hack mentioned it will warp the sheet-metal. Another problem you'll have is in the process itself. The part is submerged in 5 different tanks throughout the process and each has to drain off when it's lifted out of the tank. There are places where the liquid will get trapped and taken to the next tank which will cause problems. Another thing that will happen is air will get trapped in pockets as it's lowered into the tanks so not all of the metal will get treated correctly. In theory it would be great but it's just not practical.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #5
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Well, at least it sounded like a good idea. That's why it is nice to have a place like this to bounce ideas around.
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Another problem you'll have is in the process itself. The part is submerged in 5 different tanks throughout the process and each has to drain off when it's lifted out of the tank. There are places where the liquid will get trapped and taken to the next tank which will cause problems. Another thing that will happen is air will get trapped in pockets as it's lowered into the tanks so not all of the metal will get treated correctly.
When I had my boat trailer dipped, the company gave me specific instruction on where to drill 1/2" or larger holes so that the various liquids could drain. They also warned that attempting to submerge an airtight frame into hot zinc would cause the air to expand and possible deform (bulge) the steel tubing. In addition they didn't want hot zinc getting blown all over when something came apart. I did what they said, and the trailer came out beautiful. Still looked good when I got rid of the boat/trailer seven years later.

Hot dipped parts aren't meant to be top coated either. The zinc is applied thicker than zinc that is electroplated. When I worked at the plating company most of the zinc plated parts went out either with a 'bright dip' (faux chrome) or a di-chromate (yellow) finish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.