Horsepower - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Horsepower

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #31
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Will it matter which of these or since it will be custom, I just need to call them and order?
If you do a good job porting the exhaust, you won't need near the exhaust duration split that they put on their shelf grinds.

That split is really stupid

Shawn

Unread 07-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454

If you do a good job porting the exhaust, you won't need near the exhaust duration split that they put on their shelf grinds.

That split is really stupid

Shawn
Can I use flat tappet mechanical lifters with that extreme energy cam or do I have to change to hydraulic lifters?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #33
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Can I use flat tappet mechanical lifters with that extreme energy cam or do I have to change to hydraulic lifters?
It's funny that you mention solid-flat cams. I was thinking yesterday of what you could do with solid lifters if you ditched the normal AMC rocker studs and went with an adjustable set-up.

One thing that guys often miss is that AMCs have .904 lifters and you can flat get with the program of getting the valve off its seat if you don't mind going to a solid.

If you go solid, we can do a much better job on the cam. Probably from Bullet.

I like the way you think

Shawn
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:

It's funny that you mention solid-flat cams. I was thinking yesterday of what you could do with solid lifters if you ditched the normal AMC rocker studs and went with an adjustable set-up.

One thing that guys often miss is that AMCs have .904 lifters and you can flat get with the program of getting the valve off its seat if you don't mind going to a solid.

I like the way you think

Shawn
Shawn after getting into this 360 I got it has been rebuilt recently...it's bored over .060, mechanical solid flat tappet lifters (brand new) and it seems the valves are oversized...the cam I pulled up seems stock cs-646...it actually looks very clean on the inside..

Sorry, posted twice
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #35
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:

I like the way you think

Shawn
Shawn after pulling this 360 apart, it has been rebuilt and is very clean in the inside...it has been bored .060, has mechanical flat tappets (I think) and the valves are oversized on what seems to be a stock cam (cs 646)....

What lifters?
image-3114073138.jpg

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #36
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Sweet. Yeah, ditch that old cam and you'll be a happy camper. I have a few lobes in mind but I'd need to talk to Mark or Tim at Bullet to make sure that you're safe. I can do that tomorrow, if you want.

Shawn
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Sweet. Yeah, ditch that old cam and you'll be a happy camper. I have a few lobes in mind but I'd need to talk to Mark or Tim at Bullet to make sure that you're safe. I can do that tomorrow, if you want.

Shawn
Yes please! My dad and I are trying to decide if they are definitely mechanical lifters. Can u tell by the pic?
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #38
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Can you push that plunger down? If so, it's a hydraulic cam. If that lifter is solid as a rock...

To be honest, I'd be surprised if it's a solid-lifter cam.

Shawn
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #39
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Can you push that plunger down? If so, it's a hydraulic cam. If that lifter is solid as a rock...

To be honest, I'd be surprised if it's a solid-lifter cam.

Shawn
No plunger pushing down at all...
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #40
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:

Shawn
So what do you have in mind?
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #41
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I just talked to Richard at Bullet Cams and the solid-flat profiles are just too aggressive for something that's going to be streeted and expected to ride around at lower rpm.

We need to know how far your valves can be opened before we pick out a lobe, too. He was talking about mid/high 260s to lower 270s on duration, 224ish at .050 and .530 something lift and that's a little more than I'd recommend on someone else's engine.

If you only want to go to 5,500 redline, the Comp lobes I mentioned are probably still the way to go.

Hope I didn't let you down too much. Better safe than sorry.

Shawn
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #42
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
I just talked to Richard at Bullet Cams and the solid-flat profiles are just too aggressive for something that's going to be streeted and expected to ride around at lower rpm.

We need to know how far your valves can be opened before we pick out a lobe, too. He was talking about mid/high 260s to lower 270s on duration, 224ish at .050 and .530 something lift and that's a little more than I'd recommend on someone else's engine.

If you only want to go to 5,500 redline, the Comp lobes I mentioned are probably still the way to go.

Hope I didn't let you down too much. Better safe than sorry.

Shawn
You definitely helped out with the direction!

I took the heads to a local shop and they are porting, changing the cam with a slightly larger lobe from comp and shaving about .0015 to get a better compression ratio...(and they aren't solid flats, they are hydraulic after all!)
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #43
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Cool. What are they doing with the cam?

Shawn
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #44
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:

Shawn
I left it in their hands...when he said "take it up, but not too far, have a good rumble but not lose it's power" it seemed to describe what I'm looking for. As far as specs? Will post em when I get em in "1 to 2 weeks"
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #45
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:

Shawn
Shawn if you are still around, I wound up with a 10-202-4 from comp cams...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.