Horsepower - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Horsepower

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
adman02
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 253
Here's one for $400, but it'll require some driving on your part (not my listing BTW)

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3908826397.html

adman02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
fuzz401
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lancaster, Pa.
Posts: 1,750
any full size jeep and just about any AMC car might will have a 360 - 401 a little harder but they are out there
__________________
1978 cj-7 had since 1979
401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
crower solid cam 292 dur .500/.510 lift
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 600
I found an amc 360 from a 80 wagoneer. Based on what I see the hp was restricted to 160 by all the emissions crap. Is there any way to remove anything to get it back to the early 70s hp numbers around 250hp without spending more than a grand?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
row684
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Logan, UT
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather
I found an amc 360 from a 80 wagoneer. Based on what I see the hp was restricted to 160 by all the emissions crap. Is there any way to remove anything to get it back to the early 70s hp numbers around 250hp without spending more than a grand?
My 360 out of a 79 wasn't anything to laugh at stock except for an Edelbrock Performer intake and Holly 2 barrel carb. Stock size tires would burn out till the tires blew or it ran out of gas (most likely out of gas lol) it was also very fast to 55 mph. Much faster to 55 than my 6.0 GMC 2500 or 6.6 Chevy 2500 were. My GPS unit would say "0" "20 something," 60" skipping everything in between.
__________________
Chrysler doesn't understand what a Jeep is supposed to be. They took the Jeep heritage and threw it out the window and started marketing to soccer moms.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 600
I have a 304 right now with 4 bbl Edelbrock and manifold and msd ignition setup...stock 304 is 150, stock 360 on an 80 is 160. I don't want to go backwards or sideways...I want to go up...100 hp
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
fuzz401
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lancaster, Pa.
Posts: 1,750
don't put a lot of faith in factory numbers they were there for the government

put a better cam in it u have a carb and intake already

from early 70's to the 80's were a larger chamber on the heads they went 50 cc to 58/60 cc pistons for compression and AMC dished there pistons to get to 8.5cr
__________________
1978 cj-7 had since 1979
401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
crower solid cam 292 dur .500/.510 lift
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
swatson454
Web Wheeler
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,505
Here's how I'd go about it.

Set yourself up with a little porting station. A dremel with a flexible wand and a handful of grinding cones works pretty well.



Then just spend some time smoothing the bowls out and getting a nice transition from the bowl to the valve seat. You can skinny the guide boss down a little, too. I'm guessing the exhaust ports are terrible like any other OEM casting so spend some time there as well. The dremel finish is fine but they don't make for pretty pictures. Hopefully your heads don't look as bad as these, lol. There should be an easy 30 hp just in minor porting work.



Then I'd have Comp grind a cam using lobes from their Xtreme Energy profiles.

Intake lobe #5442 Advertised duration 262. Duration at .050 is 218 with .493 valve lift.
Exhaust lobe #5232 Advertised duration 268. Duration at .050 is 218 with .456 valve lift.
Have them grind it on a 108 lobe separation angle with a 104 intake centerline. "108 +4"

I'd use a Performer RPM intake and 1 5/8, long-tube headers.

Pretty straight-forward deal that should make 1 hp per cubic inch pretty easily.


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz401
don't put a lot of faith in factory numbers they were there for the government

put a better cam in it u have a carb and intake already

from early 70's to the 80's were a larger chamber on the heads they went 50 cc to 58/60 cc pistons for compression and AMC dished there pistons to get to 8.5cr
So I need to get back around 50cc? I've read that cams were the biggest change...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Here's how I'd go about it.

Set yourself up with a little porting station. A dremel with a flexible wand and a handful of grinding cones works pretty well.



Then just spend some time smoothing the bowls out and getting a nice transition from the bowl to the valve seat. You can skinny the guide boss down a little, too. I'm guessing the exhaust ports are terrible like any other OEM casting so spend some time there as well. The dremel finish is fine but they don't make for pretty pictures. Hopefully your heads don't look as bad as these, lol. There should be an easy 30 hp just in minor porting work.



Then I'd have Comp grind a cam using lobes from their Xtreme Energy profiles.

Intake lobe #5442 Advertised duration 262. Duration at .050 is 218 with .493 valve lift.
Exhaust lobe #5232 Advertised duration 268. Duration at .050 is 218 with .456 valve lift.
Have them grind it on a 108 lobe separation angle with a 104 intake centerline. "108 +4"

I'd use a Performer RPM intake and 1 5/8, long-tube headers.

Pretty straight-forward deal that should make 1 hp per cubic inch pretty easily.

Shawn
Alright Shawn...perfect info, but you lost me on the lobe specs...that is all on one can correct? Just specs for them to machine all the lobes to?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
swatson454
Web Wheeler
 
swatson454's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dripping Springs, TX (soon)
Posts: 4,505
That's correct. Just say "intake lobe 5442, exhaust lobe 5232 on a 108 +4" and he'll know exactly what you want. I don't even think they charge more for a custom grind anymore.


Shawn
__________________
Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
fuzz401
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lancaster, Pa.
Posts: 1,750
when I had my 360 all I did was change the cam 268 comp hyd cam intake and 600 carb with wheel well headers and 58cc heads but I had the single stud heads instead of the bridged heads but they make roller rockers for bridged heads now
__________________
1978 cj-7 had since 1979
401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
crower solid cam 292 dur .500/.510 lift
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Elyx
Registered User
1982 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 5
In addition to the valve work, a quick and easy way to add a bit more is to port match the exhaust ports to the exhaust manifold/headers. most people don't realize that the fit between head and exhaust manifold isn't perfect, and often have ridges and offsets that impede flow.

1) use the gasket as a template for both (so they match each other) use a perm-marker or whatever will stand out and scribe the inside of the exhaust gasket for each port on both the head and the manifold (make sure you have the gasket lined up correctly with the bolt holes! )
2) use the markings as a guide and grind out a smooth transition in the head and the manifold. I usually start on the outside edge and widen it till it matches the gasket template outline, then work my way in smoothing the transition out.

Hope that explanation isn't too confusing! I don't have any pics of my previous projects, So I cant' show ya, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a few guides out there in the interwebz for it. also, I haven't done this yet with non-square ports (like the dog-leg ports in the later v8's) so tread carefully if you have those.

Edit: should have checked first. quick vid on it for some other car. Concept remains the same. He doesn't go as deep a I would...I prefer to not only match, but provide a smooth transition for the air into the plenum. jsut be careful when taking allot of material off of headers...some of the cheaper brands have thin walls...it's easy to take too much off and cause weak spots that later end up as cracks. enjoy!



Last edited by Elyx; 07-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: adding content
Elyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #28
Blutarsky
Member
 
Blutarsky's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
I found an amc 360 from a 80 wagoneer. Based on what I see the hp was restricted to 160 by all the emissions crap. Is there any way to remove anything to get it back to the early 70s hp numbers around 250hp without spending more than a grand?
Mine is from an '82 Cherokee, I am pulling all the smog stuff off, then again I am just listening to what people that know what they are doing tell me to.
__________________
'79 CJ-5 Project Thread
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
That's correct. Just say "intake lobe 5442, exhaust lobe 5232 on a 108 +4" and he'll know exactly what you want. I don't even think they charge more for a custom grind anymore.

Shawn
Will it matter which of these or since it will be custom, I just need to call them and order?
image-293654888.jpg

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #30
Jim1611
Web Wheeler
 
Jim1611's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,197
A couple of things on the porting and matching of runners. The intake side does not need to be as smooth as the exhaust side. In fact the intake ports work somewhat better it they don't have a real smooth finish. This helps keep the fuel and air mixed. Now in getting rid of the exhaust, the smoother the better. Here's another idea http://www.mgccars.com/grooved-head-information.html It's grooves cut in the head.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.