Horsepower - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Horsepower

I have a 78 cj5 with a 304 and a 600cfm Edelbrock...I want to beef up the hp but don't want to upgrade to the 360 or 401. What's the advice? It's just for fun, no racing...

LeePrather is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:41 PM
swatson454
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 6,335
I suppose the question is how far are you willing to go?

Most here will tell you to scrub the 304 but whose actually spent some time to work with what's already there?

Are you able to clean up the ports in the head? I don't mean a full-blown porting job but can you run a grinder or dremel with some skill?
Are you opposed to shelling out a few extra bucks for a cam that's ground for those little valves?
Machine work: Is this a full rebuild or a bolt on kind of deal?

What are your thoughts?


Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
I'm open to just about anything. I just bought this in march and it has a 304 that was original to this jeep. It's in great shape and was recently rebuilt. Buying a 360 would cost me 5 grand and a 401 8 grand. Since this is for playing, I'd be more interested in maximizing what I have. I haven't looked into anything yet, but I would like to get the most bang for my buck?
LeePrather is offline  
post #4 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 15,071
You can buy a used 360 for thousands less. Find an old truck with a 360 or 401 and maybe only pay $500 for the whole thing. If you can drive it home, you know you got a good engine that will give you more torque and hp than a 304 can make for $500.
John Strenk is online now  
post #5 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
You can buy a used 360 for thousands less. Find an old truck with a 360 or 401 and maybe only pay $500 for the whole thing. If you can drive it home, you know you got a good engine that will give you more torque and hp than a 304 can make for $500.
What vehicles should I be looking for to get those engines? Wagoneer?
LeePrather is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 15,071
John Strenk is online now  
post #7 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 05:13 PM
swatson454
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 6,335
Let me know if you want to pursue 304 mods or just swap out to a bigger engine.


Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Let me know if you want to pursue 304 mods or just swap out to a bigger engine.

Shawn
Help me out with 304 mods please! I'm looking for a steal on a 360 or 401, but I'm not finding anything...
LeePrather is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
iluvcowjuice
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Olney, MD
Posts: 513
You can also look at javelins
iluvcowjuice is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
swatson454
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 6,335
Well let's evaluate your current engine. How's the hot, idle oil pressure? Have you run a compression check?

If that checks out ok to good, you'll have to decide if you want to tramp it for a used engine or build up what you have.

Personally, I don't see any reason why you can't approach 1 hp per cubic inch without getting stupid. I've done more ported, OEM head/cam swap combos than I can remember. It's usually worth it, depending on what you really want.


Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454 is offline  
post #11 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Blutarsky
Member
 
Blutarsky's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lubbock
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
I'm open to just about anything. I just bought this in march and it has a 304 that was original to this jeep. It's in great shape and was recently rebuilt. Buying a 360 would cost me 5 grand and a 401 8 grand. Since this is for playing, I'd be more interested in maximizing what I have. I haven't looked into anything yet, but I would like to get the most bang for my buck?
Bought a 360 for $300. You don't have to pay that much.
Blutarsky is offline  
post #12 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Well let's evaluate your current engine. How's the hot, idle oil pressure? Have you run a compression check?

If that checks out ok to good, you'll have to decide if you want to tramp it for a used engine or build up what you have.

Personally, I don't see any reason why you can't approach 1 hp per cubic inch without getting stupid. I've done more ported, OEM head/cam swap combos than I can remember. It's usually worth it, depending on what you really want.

Shawn
Hot idle oil pressure ranges from 10-20 psi up to max 50 or 60 at high rpm. I would prefer to build what I have.
LeePrather is offline  
post #13 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
LeePrather
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jefferson
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutarsky

Bought a 360 for $300. You don't have to pay that much.
If I was gonna go up in size, I would probably like to go 401 just to make it worth it. Is the 360 really that much stronger than the 304?
LeePrather is offline  
post #14 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 PM
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
yes and I think J-20 trucks...
J 4000 as well.

1957 WILLYS pickup,
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ.
lucdog is offline  
post #15 of 51 Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM
big_o_tom
Registered User
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tazewell
Posts: 353
I swapped out the 304 in mine for a 401, and yes there is a big difference. If you already have a 4 barrell carb and intake then get a good set of plug wires and some headers with glass packs.
big_o_tom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome