Horn Button and Wiring 69 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Horn Button and Wiring 69 CJ5

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
DourRyland
1969 CJ5 

Horn Button and Wiring 69 CJ5

I posted this question on here a couple of weeks back and got a reply, but haven't been able to find the thread again. Anyway here goes again. I want to install a new horn button and wiring on my 69 CJ5, but haven't been able to figure out how the wiring is suppose to route out of the steering wheel and to the horn. The reply I got back a couple of weeks ago said his 72 (I believe) had a hole in the steering column near the turn signal control where the horn wiring was suppose to come out and then strap to outside of the column. My jeep was in shop having the steering box rebuilt at that time so I couldn't verify if mine had a hole there or not. It doesn't have a hole anywhere in the column I can find, and I don't think there is room for wiring inside the column since the stem from the steering wheel to the steering box take up most if not all available room there.

Does anyone have information on this, and also is a relay required in wiring to the horn? One diagram I have found doesn't show one.

DourRyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
DourRyland
1969 CJ5 

After checking into and talking with several folks that have knowledge of the older CJs it seems that the horn wiring is suppose to go down steering stem (hollow core) and out a hole in plug in bottom of Ross steering gear. My steering gear does not have a hole in the plug and the plug is fairly heavy gauge metal, and I couldn't determine if drilling a hole in it would cause lose of lubricant out of the steering gear (since I had just put it back on after getting it rebuilt I didn't want to experiment). So I mounted a horn button on side of column opposite turn signal and ran wire on out side. Not what I really wanted but it works and doesn't look to bad.
DourRyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
twmorgan
1957 CJ5 

That is correct, i used to own a 69 the wire goes right down the hallow steering column

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.