Hooking up a speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hooking up a speedometer

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
CJSAMM
1977 CJ5 

Hooking up a speedometer

I have a 77 CJ-5 that the speedometer doesn't work, is this something the average person can do? I am decent with tools, but by no means am I a mechanic! If someone can give me a idea of how to do it I would appreciate any help.

CJSAMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
cj71983
1983 CJ7 

First things first. Have you checked the speedometer cable? It shoud run from your t-case up into the dash and behind your speedometer cluster. Check to see if it is hooked up.
cj71983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
dhavard

Ok I have a question. My cable is installed but I notcied it isn't spinning when you go down the road. I am assuming the cable is my problem. I received a new speedometer for christmas and wondered how hard it's going to be to install that and the cable and if anyone knows of a good step by step.
dhavard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
bluwtrsurfr

ok if you have a new speedo and you get a new cable, this is a very easy thing to do. there is 4 nuts holding the insrument to the dash the bolts are attached to the dash, unscrew them and pull back on the speedo. it will come right out. disconnect the cables that run to the fuel and water and be sure to mark them accordingly. unscrew the speedo cable and then carefully pull the lights from the cluster. be sure to mark which hole they came from mainly for your break light and 4wd indicator....to put it in just reconnect everything...

As for the Speedo cable its relativly easy...unscrew both ends (speedo will already be done and from the transfer case)...you cant miss where it screws into....the hardest part will be pulling it from where its secured to the vehicle, and running the new one... If I had to rate this for difficulty, id say easy.... you shouldnt have any problems....just make sure your cat converter is cool cause on mine the speedo cable runs above it and can burn ya... good luck..

81 Jeep CJ5 4" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claw tires.
bluwtrsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.