Hood rattles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hood rattles

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-01-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
Russ T

Hood rattles

I have a 1981 CJ5. The hood rattles and knocks against the body when driving down bumpy roads. It's amazing how loud the knocks are. They sound like they are coming from below the Jeep but I have determined that it is the hood bouncing around. The only place I see play in the hood is at the hinges. Could this play be responsible for all the knocking? If the hinges are the problem would new ones help? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Russ T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2002, 03:50 PM   #2
Boggy Bottom

Russ, this made me laugh when I read it because EVERYTHING rattles on one of my Jeeps. Hheehee, its so funny to drive it, and I can't bear to change it. It's got that certain "junker apppeal."

Anyway, did you remove the hood and drive it, just to make sure? Fortunately for us Jeep owners, removal of almost anything on our rigs isnt too hard to accomplish.

If it is the hood, check to see if the rubber bumoers are all there, or if they are worn so badly you have metal to metal contact.

I knew a guy once who thought his front end was coming out from under him and the jack strapped to his rear bumper had come looose and was scraping on the ground and bouncing around!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.