Hood prop rod install question??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hood prop rod install question???

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave on AEM Intakes from XT!

Unread 01-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #1
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

Hood prop rod install question???

I recently purchased the kentrol hood prop kit for my 79 cj5. The kit is basically some screws, rod, a ball end fitting and a clip for the other end. My question is this.....I have a fiberglass hood, so the support under the hood that runs from left to right that the prop rod mounts to does not have any holes in it to except the ball end of the rod and the fitting that secures it. Do I just need to drill a hole in there so the ball can swivel or is there something else I should do? Pics of someone else's fiberglass hood and prop would be great....

oilsuckin_jk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

Anyone?
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
CSP

Pics of yours would help. I can't figure out what this looks like from the description given.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
little79cj

1979 CJ5 

I would assume so with the fiberglass hood. Usually you have to cut everything into em you want/need. If it were me I would drill out the holes and then attach it with nuts an bolts in the smaller holes. I wouldn't try to screw it into the fiberglass.
little79cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

I will go out to the garage to snap a pic of mine soon, but anyone have a pic of the ball end of there's? The side that stays attached to hood when you use the rod?
Unread 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

Here is what I'm working with
image-2002701224.jpg

image-1092548542.jpg

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
CSP

And the hood prop kit?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I found the pic below of the Kentrol hood prop.

For the end with the pivot ball, I'd either drill a hole in the hood to allow the ball to swivel, or I'd fab a spacer for the mounting plate.

Either way, I don't think it's all that critical. Heck, a lot of guys just us a stick, or flop their hoods back onto the windshield frame.

Matt
hoodprop.jpg

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

It's just the typical hood prop replacement. I believe it's the same as stock set up. But here is the kit.

I'm thinking I just need to drill it out to the size of the ball end so it can swivel enough.
image-2493284439.jpg

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
oilsuckin_jk
1979 CJ5 

Thanks Matt, I replied at the same time. I have been using a stick or just flipping it, but decided to mount what should be there to begin with. I may try to drill it just big enough for it to swivel. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.