hood locks for CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > hood locks for CJ7

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
fishlt2001
1983 CJ7 

hood locks for CJ7

I have an 83 CJ7 and I am trying to find a good hood locking system. I have seen the Rugged Ridge hood lock however it hasnt gotten very good reviews. Has anyone found a different version or way to secure the hood from thieves.

fishlt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Mine is a Crown and I'm happy with it...

It's about $20.

It's a Jeep. It's not the most secure vehicle built. The best you can hope for is to delay or discourage thieves. But if they want it and if they're any good at it, bye bye Jeep.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I don't bother... Something else to fail on the trail.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #4
fishlt2001
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. I have been working on this jeep for years and am finally almost done. It's a present for my son how is deployed right now. With all the work and expense I want to make sure I protect it.
fishlt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #5
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Theft of the hood or theft of the jeep?

They make a super minuature GPS tracker now that can hid almost anywhere and would take many many hours to find even if you knew it was there......

It is gunna cost more and take longer than you thought...plan ahead!
Unretarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #6
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unretarded View Post
Theft of the hood or theft of the jeep?

They make a super minuature GPS tracker now that can hid almost anywhere and would take many many hours to find even if you knew it was there......
Go on!
Group_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

This is gonna sound a bit odd but I made one from an old 4" (or so) church key bottle opener that worked great. Pound it flat and drill a hole thru each end. The holes are already started by the hooky things. You can just use a piece of 3/4" flat bar but you need a hack saw etc. Way too much work... There's a bolt on the grill in just the right place to secure one end. Drill a hole in the hood latch release lever and put a padlock thru it and the other end of the church key. It creates a strut and you can't move that latch with the lock in place. It works! I've seen the ones that they sell and anyone with a screwdriver can slip the latch past the "lock" lever.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkhaos View Post
This is gonna sound a bit odd but I made one from an old 4" (or so) church key bottle opener that worked great. Pound it flat and drill a hole thru each end. The holes are already started by the hooky things. You can just use a piece of 3/4" flat bar but you need a hack saw etc. Way too much work... There's a bolt on the grill in just the right place to secure one end. Drill a hole in the hood latch release lever and put a padlock thru it and the other end of the church key. It creates a strut and you can't move that latch with the lock in place. It works! I've seen the ones that they sell and anyone with a screwdriver can slip the latch past the "lock" lever.
Pictures Please
Unread 09-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

Here's a link for the bottle opener pic. I don't have the hood lock on my Jeep anymore but I used it for years. It's fairly obvious what you need to do once you have the bottle opener. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one of these in a while.

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F31BTVUVX80L._SY300_.jpg& imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FStainless-Steel-Church-Bottle-Opener%2Fdp%2FB00CAAEMPW&h=300&w=300&tbnid=oGQMhBI IK9-UNM%3A&zoom=1&docid=5tHbOd0cAj_jyM&ei=5_kIVMeRI8uv yASEwYLwBg&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CE8QMygnMCc &iact=rc&uact=3&dur=712&page=2&start=25&ndsp=30
Unread 09-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group_er View Post
Go on!
There are many out there, about half the size of a pack o smokes......it will even text you if the car moves.......and you can also listen to the thiefs via a mic in it.......there are many to choose from in the sub 100 dollar range.

I will be installing one in my Jeep........

Just do a search for mini gps locator on google....lots of options

Unread 09-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

I saw a church key on Amazon for 39 cents. And no disrespect intended but a text telling me my Jeep's been stolen or trying to find it later with GPS doesn't do it for me. I have a toggle switch up under the dash which kills the ignition but that's not really enough either. Here in Florida they like to use a wrecker and just tow it away. My neighbor told me he saw a Jeep steering wheel with "the club" still on it sitting in the road. After my stereo was stolen I got an alarm with a motion sensor and cats would set it off. It kept waking me up at night. I took it out. If they really want it then they'll get it. My Jeep was actually stolen back in the 80's. It used to be a 304 automatic. They got the engine, transmission, steering column and hard top. How long would that take? Just saying'...
Unread 09-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Unretarded

1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkhaos View Post
I saw a church key on Amazon for 39 cents. And no disrespect intended but a text telling me my Jeep's been stolen or trying to find it later with GPS doesn't do it for me.How long would that take? Just saying'...
None taken.

Phone lights up with text telling there is movement in under 30 seconds, about another 30 seconds for the app to load telling you in real time exactly where it is, how fast it moving etc, about another 30 seconds to call the law.

All from the phone that is on my side at all times.....

The law tends to respond pretty fast to a stolen car call when you can tell them exactly where it is at, what street it is on and at what speed it is moving......or even the thief`s name or destination if they happen to be talking in side the car .

Not saying your idea is bad, I think it is great, but for me, I want to know where my Jeep is, even if I am hundreds of miles away and for under 100 bucks it will give me peace of mind......nothing worse than wondering if your ride is safe and if it will be there when you get back.

Of course .....with 4 sticks on the hump, one out of overdrive, one in 4 wheel low and one in between 2 and 4 wheel drive....they are going no where fast in mine with 5.38 gears......even if they can figure out how all the sticks work it will definatley not be a high speed pursuit.....

Then there is no gas gauge, speedometer does not work ......more than likely after about 3 blocks they would ditch it anyway and just abandon it.....

I almost would feel sorry for them if they headed to the freeway in the state my Jeep is in now.... they would be doing 45 in the slow lane looking for the first place to abandon ship possible....

Unread 09-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #13
Jeepn-n-tx

1981 CJ7 

I think I'm going to have to look into one of those mini GPS units. Peace of mind ... Along with my .45 .... would help me sleep better

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - stock, in-line six 258, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, blazer heater upgrade, future plans ...Team Rush, headlight relay, 2.5" lift, MC 2100
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

If someone wants it, they'll probably get it.

Until then:

Unread 09-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

This only supports Iphones but Android should be coming soon pretty cool device.

www.thetileapp.com

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.