In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage
Update:
I got the wipers working, and the hazard switch was jammed in causing running light issues. They don't flash with the switch, but DO work with the turn signal stalk (should be good enough for inspection).

The parking and reverse lights are still constantly on. Is this likely a bad brake switch? How do reverse lights connect under-hood? I don't think I have anything run to the trans yet.

These should be my last issues to at least get the Jeep inspected. I need to sort out the Temp, Fuel, and Oil pressure gauges still.
Reverse lights ground to the tranny I believe. Maybe the wires to the tranny is pinched on something grounding it if you don't think the switch is hooked up yet?

I also have an issue with my headlight switch turning all my lights on with the dimmer switch after doing a "painless" harness. Pull the knob out and they wouldn't come on until I turned up the brightness of the dash lights! Lol I won't hijack your thread just something to try maybe?

row684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Revers lights are switched with the tranny, they do not go to ground. The reverse switch has tow terminals.

Has to be a short to some power circuit. or a badly miss wired PO feature. I would disconnect the plug at the driver door ans check the connections there to see if the problem is in the rear harness or forward harnes.

row684, what lights? Dash lights, Parking lights, headlights?
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Revers lights are switched with the tranny, they do not go to ground. The reverse switch has tow terminals.

Has to be a short to some power circuit. or a badly miss wired PO feature. I would disconnect the plug at the driver door ans check the connections there to see if the problem is in the rear harness or forward harnes.

row684, what lights? Dash lights, Parking lights, headlights?
Disconnect the rear harness? Won't that disconnect all rear lights, short or not? Where is the reverse switch?
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #19
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, that is to try to figure out if there is a short, were it is. You can check the plug near the driver door to see if there is power there when there should not be.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Yeah, that is to try to figure out if there is a short, were it is. You can check the plug near the driver door to see if there is power there when there should not be.

Disconnected the brake switch and lights are off. I think pedal throw is too tight with the fiberglass firewall and setting off the lights. Need to see if i can adjust the switch at all. I will work on reverse lights after this is sorted. Thanks
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Some switches just need to be pushed in farther to make contact when the pedal is at rest.

Yes, I had to increase the length of my pushrod withy fiberglass tub. It's nice to have the brake and clutch at the same height.

Unread 07-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Some switches just need to be pushed in farther to make contact when the pedal is at rest.

Yes, I had to increase the length of my pushrod withy fiberglass tub. It's nice to have the brake and clutch at the same height.

I had redrilled pedal hole to mount the push rod but perhaps not far enough. I will try to adjust the switch this weekend. Feels good to be moving forward.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Just to close a thread... tail lights are working (I had to adjust the switch and bend tab slightly), running lights are sorted, and reverse lights function. I have 1 headlight that the low beam isn't working on. I just bought new headlights, thinking it was an easy fix... but new bulb is doing the same. I'll have to try chasing down the wiring between lights, I don't know why only one would work.

Other option is to just attempt a rewire with relays.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Go with relays. Much brighter lights.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Go with relays. Much brighter lights.
You don't happen to have a preferred write up, do you? Or preferred relays? I can search tomorrow otherwise, but want parts by the weekend so i can wrap this up.
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
You don't happen to have a preferred write up, do you? Or preferred relays? I can search tomorrow otherwise, but want parts by the weekend so i can wrap this up.

I'm Lazy,
I'm going to buy this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-34263 $37.00!!
You just plug it into your old headlight plug and plug the new plugs onto your old Headlights. '

Real simple....

But you could look up Jeephammers post on making a harness with Circuit breakers and everything.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...t-mods-686559/
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #27
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm Lazy,
You just plug it into your old headlight plug and plug the new plugs onto your old Headlights. '

Real simple....

But you could look up Jeephammers post on making a harness with Circuit breakers and everything.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/he...t-mods-686559/
Too easy... I just ordered that harness. Thanks.

Maybe it will fix my issue of one low-beam out, maybe it won't. I'm assuming a contact in the left socket is corroded, but the only other thing I can think of is a wire is cut, which I didn't see.
Unread 07-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #28
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Let us know how it works out for you.
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #29
team-green
1985 CJ7 

A question about the signal flasher...

Quote:
86 should not have a turn signal flasher in the fuse box. Does the box even have terminals to hold the turn signal flasher in place? if it does then it's a fuse box earlier than 1984.
Hi John,

do you know the reason why the relay is no longer installed in the fuse box?
I thought it was a mistake by one of the previous owners and wanted to change the whole thing on my CJ7-1985.
Well I have not done it yet.
Greetings Jochim
team-green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #30
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm Lazy,

Real simple....

John this is nice. Im going to order one now too. Do you guys know if the courtesy lights just plug into the headlight switch? It looks like my Jeep never came with the courtesy lights. These below aren't mine, but I have the same ones I found used, Thx.

CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.