In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions

I'll start off with a recap... frame off project with new fiberglass tub. I bought the "Jeep" in pieces and never saw it together or running. It now runs, I can drive it around the block, and trying to wrap it up for registration and inspection.

What does not yet work:
-If the battery is connected, all parking lights, tail lights, and reverse lights are on
-Oil pressure, Temp, (and I think gas gauge) do not work
-Wipers don't work
-Horn does not work
-Signals aren't working (look like they are always lit up - could it be a bad turn signal switch?)

I have a ground bar on my firewall on the engine side that I'm running grounds to. I have another ground point in the rear of the Jeep that the Tails are grounded to. I grounded my grill and grounded the headlights to it as well, which work fine. I grounded the base of the horn to the grill ground as well since I have fiberglass fenders.

I have a new floor headlight switch since my project didn't come with one. I have a new Crown headlight dash switch as well, since I didn't find the original ones (yes, 2 both slightly different) that came with project until later. I have a few things grounded to the dash (heater blower works like this).

Here are some pics of things I need help with:

1) This looks like another Brake connection, but my brakes are already connected (in Red) - bonus question- what is the black and yellow wire set?


2) A few misc wires by the fuse block - I don't know what the single ground goes to, what the single orange goes to, or the 4 wire plug behind it.

Another shot of the fuse block to see if anything looks wrong. I dont know what year harness this is, my Jeep is an 86 though.


3) I haven't connected this yet, though I see the main plug in the engine bay. I have another diagram of how, but I don't know where the relay for manifold heater is or where the firewall connectors are. I assume this is why my gauges arent working.



4) Wiper motor was just installed in a new frame (older motor). I ran a ground from the 3rd bolt on the right that mounts to the vin plate to the dash ground, plugged in harness to the switch, and nothing. Dash is painted front and back, does the switch itself need exposed metal to ground?

5) Finally, what also plugs into the Steering column? (No pic) The plug side ON the column looks like to harnesses plug in, the large long one is connected, it looks like a 2nd 4 plug piece would fit as well.

REALLY appreciate help in getting this sorted.


1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
texasdave
Web Wheeler
 
texasdave's Avatar
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen
Posts: 1,312
You got a wiring diagram? PM me your e-mail and I will send you one. Its for a 1982 but most should be about the same.
texasdave is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 06-30-2013, 09:14 PM
BagusJeep
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 5,245
Your 1986 acquired some daft wiring for the ECU etc from 1982 but the general layout is very similair with similair colour coding of the circuits. Orange wres for instance suggest dash lighting crcuits.

Start from the fuse box and ignition switch and you will get a feel for what circuits these wires were from. The enclosed generic fuse box diagrams is from a similair era AMC Jeep but the schematic is for a 1984-1986 fuse box and ignition switch.
Attached Thumbnails
84-86_FuseBlock - Copy.jpg  
Attached Images
   

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Your 1986 acquired some daft wiring for the ECU etc from 1982 but the general layout is very similair with similair colour coding of the circuits. Orange wres for instance suggest dash lighting crcuits.

Start from the fuse box and ignition switch and you will get a feel for what circuits these wires were from. The enclosed generic fuse box diagrams is from a similair era AMC Jeep but the schematic is for a 1984-1986 fuse box and ignition switch.
Thanks Bagus. I've done some tracing and not seeing anything of question. I will add another ground to the dash, but stumped on wipers, horn, and most importantly why all lights are on all the time. Any suggestions on what to look at? I ordered new column signal switch last night.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
You got a wiring diagram? PM me your e-mail and I will send you one. Its for a 1982 but most should be about the same.
I have this diagram if it is the big color one. Printed out on many pieces of paper and taped together for easier use.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Any other input on where to start trouble shooting the parking lights, reverse lights, and signals staying on with battery connected? That is my first obstacle to getting this thing inspected and registered. I ordered a new column signal switch that should be here this week, as the turn signal feels loose and looks like there is a crack when I peak in the side of the column.

I grounded the tail lights to the frame, which made them a lot brighter when I first mounted them. It seems like I have a short somewhere keeping all lights on, but I don't know where to look as the reverse lights are on too. I guess I can try cleaning the fuse box, although not sure with what.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 15,256
86 should not have a turn signal flasher in the fuse box. Does the box even have terminals to hold the turn signal flasher in place? if it does then it's a fuse box earlier than 1984.
John Strenk is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 15,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Any other input on where to start trouble shooting the parking lights, reverse lights, and signals staying on with battery connected? That is my first obstacle to getting this thing inspected and registered. I ordered a new column signal switch that should be here this week, as the turn signal feels loose and looks like there is a crack when I peak in the side of the column.

I grounded the tail lights to the frame, which made them a lot brighter when I first mounted them. It seems like I have a short somewhere keeping all lights on, but I don't know where to look as the reverse lights are on too. I guess I can try cleaning the fuse box, although not sure with what.
Headlights work though, hmmm...

How about the dash lights? do they come on all the time?

There is a fuse for the parking lights, do they go out when the fuse is pulled?
John Strenk is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
dsemar
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: cleveland
Posts: 55
If ALL the lights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
dsemar is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemar View Post
If ALL theclights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
The turn signal flasher WASN'T there, and was in another harness I had (project came with duplicated and I didn't know which was best). It was super loose and a last ditch effort to see if it did anything (it is actually out now).

The high beam switch on the floor is brand new and works to toggle headlights high/lows.

Light switch is new, although I don't know if there are specific differences between years. I had disconnected the switch and the parking lights stayed on... The turn signal arrows are always on. Dash lights work and dim with the switch and are only on with the headlights.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemar View Post
If ALL the lights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
How do you ground the high beam switch? Does that need a separate ground?

How about the headlight switch? My dash is grounded, but the switch is not grounded besides mounting to the dash. I had "assumed" that this wasn't a problem since headlights work and the parking lights AND reverse lights were on with the headlight switch disconnected.

Wipers aren't working either, and are grounded to the dash. Maybe I'll try running a 2nd ground to it and see if anything improves.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 15,256
The only reason to ground the headlight switch is if you have a dome light or courtesy light. All other lights should work if switch is not grounded.
Dimmer switch does NOT need to be grounded.

If turnsignals indicator lights in speedo are on with headlights means the ground for the grill not connected with other ground point. However we don't know if there are any other problems with the turn signal switch. ( It can also mean the Hazard switch is pushed in and flasher not working).

Try grounding wiper to battery first.
if it's a new motor, they have been known to be missed wired.
John Strenk is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM
dsemar
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: cleveland
Posts: 55
What ^ said. Also if that still doesn't do it, i would grab some test leads, and start isolating each circuit and testing them the old school way. Basically pull the fuse on the circuit that handles the lights, then start checking out whether or not you have a dead short between the positive side of the circuit and the ground. Once that fuse is pulled it should read no continuity at all. If it's anything else then you're looking at a short somewhere, could be a bad switch, or a mis-wired ground wire. Basically running all the lights in a closed loop series instead of a parallel setup at that point. Possibly an easy way to figure that out would be to unplug all the lights from the harness one at a time and see if they shut off. If they do, whichever one shuts them off would be the one wired backwards.
dsemar is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
The only reason to ground the headlight switch is if you have a dome light or courtesy light. All other lights should work if switch is not grounded.
Dimmer switch does NOT need to be grounded.

If turnsignals indicator lights in speedo are on with headlights means the ground for the grill not connected with other ground point. However we don't know if there are any other problems with the turn signal switch. ( It can also mean the Hazard switch is pushed in and flasher not working).

Try grounding wiper to battery first.
if it's a new motor, they have been known to be missed wired.
Thanks for more info. The Turnsignal indicator (green arrows) stay lit when battery is connected, not just when headlights are on. I'll check the hazard switch again, it didn't seem to make any difference and they didnt flash. I am also at a loss why the reverse lights are on. I think the tails are full on, like the Brakes are on but can't be sure.

The wiper motor is not new and I can only assume it works since Jeep was apart when I bought it. Is there a certain pin in the plug I should connect to hot to test directly off battery? Grounding the motor itself should suffice?

Test leads and multimeter are next step, I just didn't even know where to start with EVERYTHING on and switch not seeming to matter. I'll also disconnect light by light to see what happens.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Jeeprage
Registered User
 
Jeeprage's Avatar
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Braintree
Posts: 684
Update:
I got the wipers working, and the hazard switch was jammed in causing running light issues. They don't flash with the switch, but DO work with the turn signal stalk (should be good enough for inspection).

The parking and reverse lights are still constantly on. Is this likely a bad brake switch? How do reverse lights connect under-hood? I don't think I have anything run to the trans yet.

These should be my last issues to at least get the Jeep inspected. I need to sort out the Temp, Fuel, and Oil pressure gauges still.

1986 CJ7
2015 JKU - 6m
Jeeprage is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome