In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

In the homestretch. Final electrical help and questions

I'll start off with a recap... frame off project with new fiberglass tub. I bought the "Jeep" in pieces and never saw it together or running. It now runs, I can drive it around the block, and trying to wrap it up for registration and inspection.

What does not yet work:
-If the battery is connected, all parking lights, tail lights, and reverse lights are on
-Oil pressure, Temp, (and I think gas gauge) do not work
-Wipers don't work
-Horn does not work
-Signals aren't working (look like they are always lit up - could it be a bad turn signal switch?)

I have a ground bar on my firewall on the engine side that I'm running grounds to. I have another ground point in the rear of the Jeep that the Tails are grounded to. I grounded my grill and grounded the headlights to it as well, which work fine. I grounded the base of the horn to the grill ground as well since I have fiberglass fenders.

I have a new floor headlight switch since my project didn't come with one. I have a new Crown headlight dash switch as well, since I didn't find the original ones (yes, 2 both slightly different) that came with project until later. I have a few things grounded to the dash (heater blower works like this).

Here are some pics of things I need help with:

1) This looks like another Brake connection, but my brakes are already connected (in Red) - bonus question- what is the black and yellow wire set?

2) A few misc wires by the fuse block - I don't know what the single ground goes to, what the single orange goes to, or the 4 wire plug behind it.

Another shot of the fuse block to see if anything looks wrong. I dont know what year harness this is, my Jeep is an 86 though.

3) I haven't connected this yet, though I see the main plug in the engine bay. I have another diagram of how, but I don't know where the relay for manifold heater is or where the firewall connectors are. I assume this is why my gauges arent working.

4) Wiper motor was just installed in a new frame (older motor). I ran a ground from the 3rd bolt on the right that mounts to the vin plate to the dash ground, plugged in harness to the switch, and nothing. Dash is painted front and back, does the switch itself need exposed metal to ground?

5) Finally, what also plugs into the Steering column? (No pic) The plug side ON the column looks like to harnesses plug in, the large long one is connected, it looks like a 2nd 4 plug piece would fit as well.

REALLY appreciate help in getting this sorted.

Unread 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

You got a wiring diagram? PM me your e-mail and I will send you one. Its for a 1982 but most should be about the same.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Your 1986 acquired some daft wiring for the ECU etc from 1982 but the general layout is very similair with similair colour coding of the circuits. Orange wres for instance suggest dash lighting crcuits.

Start from the fuse box and ignition switch and you will get a feel for what circuits these wires were from. The enclosed generic fuse box diagrams is from a similair era AMC Jeep but the schematic is for a 1984-1986 fuse box and ignition switch.
84-86_fuseblock-copy.jpg  
82fusebox.jpg

84-86fuseboxsch-copy.jpg

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Your 1986 acquired some daft wiring for the ECU etc from 1982 but the general layout is very similair with similair colour coding of the circuits. Orange wres for instance suggest dash lighting crcuits.

Start from the fuse box and ignition switch and you will get a feel for what circuits these wires were from. The enclosed generic fuse box diagrams is from a similair era AMC Jeep but the schematic is for a 1984-1986 fuse box and ignition switch.
Thanks Bagus. I've done some tracing and not seeing anything of question. I will add another ground to the dash, but stumped on wipers, horn, and most importantly why all lights are on all the time. Any suggestions on what to look at? I ordered new column signal switch last night.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
You got a wiring diagram? PM me your e-mail and I will send you one. Its for a 1982 but most should be about the same.
I have this diagram if it is the big color one. Printed out on many pieces of paper and taped together for easier use.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Any other input on where to start trouble shooting the parking lights, reverse lights, and signals staying on with battery connected? That is my first obstacle to getting this thing inspected and registered. I ordered a new column signal switch that should be here this week, as the turn signal feels loose and looks like there is a crack when I peak in the side of the column.

I grounded the tail lights to the frame, which made them a lot brighter when I first mounted them. It seems like I have a short somewhere keeping all lights on, but I don't know where to look as the reverse lights are on too. I guess I can try cleaning the fuse box, although not sure with what.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

86 should not have a turn signal flasher in the fuse box. Does the box even have terminals to hold the turn signal flasher in place? if it does then it's a fuse box earlier than 1984.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Any other input on where to start trouble shooting the parking lights, reverse lights, and signals staying on with battery connected? That is my first obstacle to getting this thing inspected and registered. I ordered a new column signal switch that should be here this week, as the turn signal feels loose and looks like there is a crack when I peak in the side of the column.

I grounded the tail lights to the frame, which made them a lot brighter when I first mounted them. It seems like I have a short somewhere keeping all lights on, but I don't know where to look as the reverse lights are on too. I guess I can try cleaning the fuse box, although not sure with what.
Headlights work though, hmmm...

How about the dash lights? do they come on all the time?

There is a fuse for the parking lights, do they go out when the fuse is pulled?
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

If ALL the lights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
dsemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemar View Post
If ALL theclights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
The turn signal flasher WASN'T there, and was in another harness I had (project came with duplicated and I didn't know which was best). It was super loose and a last ditch effort to see if it did anything (it is actually out now).

The high beam switch on the floor is brand new and works to toggle headlights high/lows.

Light switch is new, although I don't know if there are specific differences between years. I had disconnected the switch and the parking lights stayed on... The turn signal arrows are always on. Dash lights work and dim with the switch and are only on with the headlights.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemar View Post
If ALL the lights are coming on, i would check the wiring to the marker/headlight switch. Also the foot control switch for high beams. If that appears up to par, check the marker/headlight light switch and foot control switch itself. Make sure the switches are grounded properly also. I know there's a TON of grounding issues when going to fiberglass because almost EVERYTHING relies on the body ground to operate properly in these jeeps.
How do you ground the high beam switch? Does that need a separate ground?

How about the headlight switch? My dash is grounded, but the switch is not grounded besides mounting to the dash. I had "assumed" that this wasn't a problem since headlights work and the parking lights AND reverse lights were on with the headlight switch disconnected.

Wipers aren't working either, and are grounded to the dash. Maybe I'll try running a 2nd ground to it and see if anything improves.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The only reason to ground the headlight switch is if you have a dome light or courtesy light. All other lights should work if switch is not grounded.
Dimmer switch does NOT need to be grounded.

If turnsignals indicator lights in speedo are on with headlights means the ground for the grill not connected with other ground point. However we don't know if there are any other problems with the turn signal switch. ( It can also mean the Hazard switch is pushed in and flasher not working).

Try grounding wiper to battery first.
if it's a new motor, they have been known to be missed wired.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

What ^ said. Also if that still doesn't do it, i would grab some test leads, and start isolating each circuit and testing them the old school way. Basically pull the fuse on the circuit that handles the lights, then start checking out whether or not you have a dead short between the positive side of the circuit and the ground. Once that fuse is pulled it should read no continuity at all. If it's anything else then you're looking at a short somewhere, could be a bad switch, or a mis-wired ground wire. Basically running all the lights in a closed loop series instead of a parallel setup at that point. Possibly an easy way to figure that out would be to unplug all the lights from the harness one at a time and see if they shut off. If they do, whichever one shuts them off would be the one wired backwards.
dsemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
The only reason to ground the headlight switch is if you have a dome light or courtesy light. All other lights should work if switch is not grounded.
Dimmer switch does NOT need to be grounded.

If turnsignals indicator lights in speedo are on with headlights means the ground for the grill not connected with other ground point. However we don't know if there are any other problems with the turn signal switch. ( It can also mean the Hazard switch is pushed in and flasher not working).

Try grounding wiper to battery first.
if it's a new motor, they have been known to be missed wired.
Thanks for more info. The Turnsignal indicator (green arrows) stay lit when battery is connected, not just when headlights are on. I'll check the hazard switch again, it didn't seem to make any difference and they didnt flash. I am also at a loss why the reverse lights are on. I think the tails are full on, like the Brakes are on but can't be sure.

The wiper motor is not new and I can only assume it works since Jeep was apart when I bought it. Is there a certain pin in the plug I should connect to hot to test directly off battery? Grounding the motor itself should suffice?

Test leads and multimeter are next step, I just didn't even know where to start with EVERYTHING on and switch not seeming to matter. I'll also disconnect light by light to see what happens.
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Update:
I got the wipers working, and the hazard switch was jammed in causing running light issues. They don't flash with the switch, but DO work with the turn signal stalk (should be good enough for inspection).

The parking and reverse lights are still constantly on. Is this likely a bad brake switch? How do reverse lights connect under-hood? I don't think I have anything run to the trans yet.

These should be my last issues to at least get the Jeep inspected. I need to sort out the Temp, Fuel, and Oil pressure gauges still.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.