home made case spreader - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > home made case spreader

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I've never needed a spreader to remove a carrier. On installing, I use a plastic dead blow. I thought it might help to install the carrier, with the spreader. Especially with the preload and thin shims.

From what I remember reading somewhere, is it a fact, you can't have enough carrier bearing preload?

Bill
You can have too little or too much carrier bearing preload.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #17
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I made a crude one when working on my AMC 20 but only used it once. It worked well but found I really did not need it and pry bar removed carrier easily and plastic deadblow to put it back.
dscf0001.jpg  
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

With so many guys saying I won't need the tool, I've decided to do the job without. Thanks to all for helping. I'm starting to get comfortable with the idea of swapping the gear set. Waiting for the master set to arrive.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
CSP

With a D44 the shims are under the bearings, so you aren't going to damage them installing the carrier assembly.

I can see a spreader coming in handy on an AMC 20 or Ford 8.8, where the shims sit outside of the bearings.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
A machinist friend suggested I make one is why I ask. He said as many times as you add/remove shims, that it is not worth it to no have one handy. He mentioned .001" when spreading.

I suppose i could try to do the job without one, then I can make one if it proves too hard. I mean, I know I can force things, but don't want to damage anything either. I like having good tools...
You don't have to struggle with removing the case during your setup process. There is no need to preload the carrier bearings until you get to your final setup. During yor setup process, just set your diff carrier endplay at "zero". When everything looks good, then go ahead a preload the carrier bearings.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
You don't have to struggle with removing the case during your setup process. There is no need to preload the carrier bearings until you get to your final setup. During yor setup process, just set your diff carrier endplay at "zero". When everything looks good, then go ahead a preload the carrier bearings.
Good to know! Thanks for the tip.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
agear
1984 CJ7 

let me know if you still need those measurements
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Kieth460:
I would have been nervous to use the cover bolt holes, but obviously they work. What kind of a force would you estimate it takes to spread 1 mm?

Are we talking no big deal, or it was a lot, and nearly bent my home made tool?
Hardly any force, just enough to get the carrier in and out while swapping in shims. I used grade 8 bolts where it bolted to the pumpkin cover so they would not fatigue as much.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #24
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
With a D44 the shims are under the bearings, so you aren't going to damage them installing the carrier assembly.

I can see a spreader coming in handy on an AMC 20 or Ford 8.8, where the shims sit outside of the bearings.
On both AMC 20 and Ford 8.8, if you use the thick OEM style shims, it is easy to drive them ibetween the bearing cup and housing with a plastic mallet. Just got done doing an 8.8 which gets preloaded .012. No problems
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
KenK01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Having pulled/installed several carriers/ring/pinon sets in Dana 44s, I've never needed a case spreader.

Unless you're looking for something to do I wouldn't build one unless you get to the install and just can't get the carrier back in.

Stubborn carriers are easy to remove by stuffing a shop rag between the ring/pinion teeth and turning the pinion. No banging/prying necessary.
I can't believe how easily this method worked and thank you very much. after looking for spreaders and trying everything I knew trying to get the gear set out of very stubborn dana 44 , put the shop rag in there and it popped right out. highly suggest this method... doesn't hurt a thing and really works!
KenK01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #26
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK01

I can't believe how easily this method worked and thank you very much. after looking for spreaders and trying everything I knew trying to get the gear set out of very stubborn dana 44 , put the shop rag in there and it popped right out. highly suggest this method... doesn't hurt a thing and really works!
If you have a open diff a crowbar through the center section to keep it from spinning works good as well. I did that on the Dana 60 front axil of my cummins to change oil seals.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
CSP

That crowbar method sounds better. I just pulled the carrier out of the D60 going under my pickup and I had to insert the rag several times. It took a lot to get that carrier out and it chewed the rag to pieces. Oddly enough it went back in really easy after the new axleshaft seals were installed.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
That crowbar method sounds better. I just pulled the carrier out of the D60 going under my pickup and I had to insert the rag several times. It took a lot to get that carrier out and it chewed the rag to pieces. Oddly enough it went back in really easy after the new axleshaft seals were installed.
Heavy bugger ain't it?

No wonder my truck weighs 6300lbs.

I killed the drivers side seal by my own stupidity. I never cleaned the crud out of the tube, as well as coating the splines with grease to catch the dirt so the seal can wipe it clean.

I now have a dowel rod with half a soup can lid nailed to it to scrape out the junk. And the miller seal driver tool.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.