Holy inflation Batman! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holy inflation Batman!

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
ReconRabbit
1983 CJ7 

Holy inflation Batman!

I was going through a stack of reciepts from my CJ and had to share one of my interesting finds:

In 1996 I bought a bunch of parts from 4wd hardware, it's suprising to say the least what the prices were!

#5140701 Tigertop for a CJ5 $334.95 Today its on sale for $730.99, regular price of $811.99!

Wow! Inflation right? Well, there's more on that invoice and it makes a person really wonder.

#5450558 Headlight Switch $15.75 Now $20.99
#5461816 Dimmer Switch $4.95 Now $4.99
#57552813 Indicatior lamp $6.50 Now $5.99
#5752810 Headlight knop $5.90 Now $4.99

I wonder what prices will be in another 17 years!

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Jeepn-n-tx
I go by "Mike Honcho" ...

1981 CJ7 

Drives me nuts that most new, base line cars ... nothing special ... start around $20k+.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 - I6 258, 2.5" lift, 30x9.5 Dakota MTs, heater upgrade, MC 2100, headlight relays, future plans ... HEI, drag link flip, ...
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I still have a receipt for my factory replacement top from Whitco for the CJ-7 with steel doors. Cost me $244.89 in 1990. Now they are like $1000.00 if you can find one.!

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
RWise
1981 CJ5 

In 1973 I was paying $0.10 for regular and $0.12 for ethyl. Today I can't even get ethyl, and stuff called regular, is like drip gas,,,,
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When I bought my diesel truck in 95 diesel was cheeper then regular by 20 cents or so.

When I bought my house fuel oil cost 86 cents. 12 years later its now 3.26. My income has gone up but not enough to offset the prices everything has gone up.

My spendable income is less and less every year.

My house payment with escrow was 608.00 in 2001. It's now 790.00 thanks to higher taxes and the major insurance increase that seemed to happen to everyone around 2005.

I feel for the 20-28 year olds still trying to brake into the job market. They will be living with their parents a while yet.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

It's not just inflation, it's supply and demand. 80's CJs are in their thirties now, and that means parts, (particularly consumables or optionals) are getting harder to find. Fewer OEM in good condition floating around, and only a few suppliers manufacturing new parts. For stuff like Cowl Seals, and other low end consumables, it's not a bad idea to buy extra and just store ie safely somewhere for next time.
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
wm69

www.shadowstats.com.

In short, the govt is mis-stating inflation. They changed the rules because if they reported ACTUAL inflation they had to adjust Social Security benefits and Federal Pensions accordingly. Thank you slick willie and your "balanced budget".

If the average American had the capability of understanding how inflation robs every one of us a little every day, the scumbags in DC would have ALL been tarred and feathered years ago. As it is, we have bread, circuses, and big brother telling us "All is well!" so we just take our screwing and move on.

The founding fathers would already be shooting.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
www.shadowstats.com.

The founding fathers would already be shooting.
A long time ago too!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

I have a friend that restored a 1966 mustang. It took him 8 years. But anyway he bought some parts from a supplier at the beginning of the 8 years, and by the end of the resto he decided he didnt need them/wasnt going to use them. He took them back, got a lot more money for them.
tdagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
seabass1858
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
When I bought my diesel truck in 95 diesel was cheeper then regular by 20 cents or so.

When I bought my house fuel oil cost 86 cents. 12 years later its now 3.26. My income has gone up but not enough to offset the prices everything has gone up.

My spendable income is less and less every year.

My house payment with escrow was 608.00 in 2001. It's now 790.00 thanks to higher taxes and the major insurance increase that seemed to happen to everyone around 2005.

I feel for the 20-28 year olds still trying to brake into the job market. They will be living with their parents a while yet.
Im 24 and about to buy a 200k house that cost 115k in 2001. I also had my kids first and went to college while raising a family at 19 years old but I can thank the military for getting me to the point im at now and im about to make a big career move next summer so wish me luck.
seabass1858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
djrsml
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The rich want more and more, thus we have inflation.
Some blame it on pay for workers, but that hasn't changed much in 38 years.
djrsml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn-n-tx View Post
Drives me nuts that most new, base line cars ... nothing special ... start around $20k+.
You are paying for the IDIOT FACTOR.
I didn't know about the idiot factor until I started doing a manufacturing job, instead of just retail...

Manufacturers have to build in the cost of litigation when some idiot decides to use a screw driver as a pry bar or chisel and hurts himself.

You have to build in the cost of testing for every conceivable way some idiot can screw things up... Wouldn't drive up a telephone pole? Must have been a manufacturing defect, lets SUE!

There are still places in Europe you have to PROVE you can change a tire, change a water or fuel pump, you can read a map, follow traffic signs, ect.

In America, a drivers licence is a necessary form of ID to cash your welfare check at Wall-Mart,
Not that you are qualified to operate SAFELY, and obey traffic laws, signs, ect. and operate somewhere between 2 tons and 15 tons of steel at highway speeds...
You have to pay for anti-lock breaks, traction control, air bags, ect.

All that 'Safety' stuff that is required to keep the average highway going idiot alive when he/she ignores the basic principals of physics and can't keep even one eye on the road for the CD player, cell phone, text messages, ect.

Common sense tells you when a major winter storm blows through, KEEP YOUR BUTT OFF THE HIGHWAY UNTIL IT'S CLEARED...
Common sense isn't an 'App' on a cell phone, so most don't posess it.

They get out to see what the roads are 'Like'... When the TV and radio tell you they are LOUSY, STAY OFF THEM!
Then they get on the phone to call someone to tell them what the roads are like, Instead of DRIVING LIKE THEY HAVE ANY SENSE.

That's were the air bags, anti-lock breaks and traction control come in...

1/2" of ice, 7" of snow around here, and a 7 car pile up against the median wall... All because they couldn't grasp the fact a 2 to 6 ton vehicle at 60+ miles an hour can't stick to the road in a curve... WELL DUH!

With air bags, every one of the idiots survived. Now my insurance rates go up because of them, and they will be back out here next week in a new vehicle doing the same thing on the same cell phone...

For those of us that travel for a living, I do wish a drivers licence would REQUIRE YOU to have some common sense, and actually be able to operate a vehicle instead of just being an insulated passenger from one accident site to the next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrsml View Post
The rich want more and more, thus we have inflation.
Some blame it on pay for workers, but that hasn't changed much in 38 years.
Nope.
Republicans, big business and Ronald Reagan started busting unions in the 80's...
Wages haven't held pace with inflation since.

The 'Red States' complain about "Where did the middle class go?"
It went the way of the labor unions and collective bargaining, so it pretty much died with the labor unions...
Nothing like trying to make a living in a 'Right To Work' state...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass1858
Im 24 and about to buy a 200k house that cost 115k in 2001. I also had my kids first and went to college while raising a family at 19 years old but I can thank the military for getting me to the point im at now and im about to make a big career move next summer so wish me luck.
When I was in the NAVY as a E6 for a entire year I made a wopping 15,000. That included a extra 250 a month for being at sea for 4 consecutive years. If I would have been married I would have made about 23,000 and they would have made my house VHA payment.

Good for you. A officer has more options. Especially now.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
djrsml
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You got that right....I live in a right to work state. I made more 25 years ago than I do now!
djrsml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
www.shadowstats.com.

In short, the govt is mis-stating inflation. They changed the rules because if they reported ACTUAL inflation they had to adjust Social Security benefits and Federal Pensions accordingly. Thank you slick willie and your "balanced budget".
The misstating of government fiscal numbers started WAY before "slick willie", but people have short memories.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.