Holly VS Edelbrook - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holly VS Edelbrook

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #16
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post
You say your are in it for the performance, but you also say all your CJ's with stock carburetors sucked, sputtered, died and backfired...hmmmm.

...and now without fixing your jeeps manifold leaks, timing and carb tuning your just going to bolt it on

Just trying to figure out where you are coming from

OP...The Carb Shop in Ontario CA can build you a custom carb for your specific application. They will tune all the air bleeds, jet, power vavle and completely calibrate your fuel curve for your engine. I know Matt can vouch for National Carburetors as they do a fantastic job as well.

SC
For a time all my money and time went to my V8 in my maverick. The jeeps well they stayed muddy beat up and had 4 and 6 cyl motors and i know alot of guys like the 6er's but I dont really care unless its more than 300 cubes. If its only around a 100 hp stock Ive never bothered with investing in it. Time or money. I just wheeled it and beat it waiting on the day I put a proper engine in it. Now I got a 360 my blood is pumping again and things like hp apply to my jeeps.

Unread 02-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
Barry Grant, preferably speed demons. I dont think they have an off road specific carb. But all their carbs a easy to tune, have special features found on the high level carbs from the other guys. They have smoother bores/venturis for better airflow and better power. And finally they look like a crown jewel on top of your powerplant. Best of all they arent super expensive.

On my maverick I went from a misbehaving street avenger to a 750 eddy, picked up a lil power decent enough, but didnt really scream, then I went to a 650 Mighty Demon and it "felt" like 40 hp. It honestly made my engine feel rauchous.

When I do up my 360 with all the goodies itll be a demon sitting on top of it.
I don't think this is a good comparison. You went from an off road (not a straight line performance oriented) carb, to a carb that really isn't performance oriented either, to something that is actually built more for WOT performance. Kinda hard to compare the 3 on 1 setup that sounds like you were after straight line performance.
I would say the Holley. I have yet to meet anybody that has been happy with the performance in any fashion with their Edelbrock unit.
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Ahhh Im actually kinda done with this thread but that was a STREET avenger not a truck avenger. They are similar but the truck is modified further.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Understood, but you're still talking about 2 totally different carb setups. You're comparing a vacuum secondary choke tower body, against a mechanical secondary carb with a main body that does not have a choke horn.
Not trying to argue, but I don't think that is a good comparison, and I would hope the BG worked better for a straight line performance application.
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I cannot comment on the eldelbrock carb but I have the 670 truck avenger on my 360 and I am pleased with it. I purchased on of the first generation carbs at a swap meet and had all sorts of problems with it. Apparently this was a known issue an when I contacted Holley they said send it to them and they would end me a new one for $75. I am still running to rich but I have not taken the time to properly tune it and that is not the fault of the carb.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I've run Q-Jets, AFBs, Edelbrocks, Holleys, Webers and both BG Speed Demon and Mighty Demon carbs and I can tell you this for sure; "out-of-the-box" means nothing more than the carb was, at some point, in a box. Each one needs to be taken apart, cleaned and inspected and re-assembled and tuned to run on your engine.

If you get a Holley that ran better than an Edelbrock (same size and vice-versa) it's very likely that it was nothing more than the stock jet configuration fit your particular application better than the other one and that was more-likely due to market studies of who's buying their products to install on what engine than anything else. The point is, each carb needs to be set up to run with your exact combo and preferences. They each have their own upsides and downsides depending on what you're used to.

For the record, I'm a huge BG fan, even with the problems caused by Barry and his crew themselves. He appeared to be a little "messed up" by stress, perhaps. Their quality control sucked and their customer service was even worse. Having said that, he had some really innovative ideas and all of the old baggage is supposedly completely removed from the new owners and operations. I hope so and am looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

I also believe Holley has been in bankruptcy multiple times. I can't tell you squat on which one does best off-road though

To the OP: Edelbrocks can be set up pretty darn well with their tuning kits but it's trial and error without a good grasp on what you're seeing/feeling and and a/f monitor. Tuning the secondaries is a b*tch because you have to either add or remove weight from the counter weight on the air valve.

Holleys, on the other hand, can tune the secondaries, accelerator pump and main jets with relative ease but the transition circuit and air bleeds must be modified by drilling to correct anything.

Go custom and avoid all of that crap

Shawn

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.