Holly VS Edelbrook - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holly VS Edelbrook

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Blue2
1979 CJ7 

Holly VS Edelbrook

I am running a Chev 350 motor in my CJ. The Holly truck Avenger is well thought of but I see that Edelbrook offers a Thunder Series Off-Road. Anyone have any thoughts on a comparison between the two?

Blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

I don't know much about either personally but I'm doing a lot of research on them both now because I'm finishing up my 304. I'm leaning towards the Truck avenger simply because I read somewhere that the Edelbrock off road carb should only be used off road only. Not sure why and I just looked and I didn't see that on the Edelbrock site @ a quick glance. I drive to most of my wheeling outings so this puts the Edelbrock @ the bottom of the list for me.

Years ago the draw back on the Edelbrocks were they required a lot more to tune them. Lots of needles and screws to turn and adjust and many folks weren't that toned in carbs to make those modifications. Just looking over the Edel sites the last few nights and they seem to have come a long way from that for eased of tuning. So my only concern would be the off road used only thing...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
canaya
1982 CJ5 

I have the Holley truck avenger 470cfm on my Chevy 4.3L V6 and love it. The PO had an Edelbrock (non off road model) on my CJ and it would stall during off camber situations. The Holley TA has been easy to tune and is great on/off road IMHO
canaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Barry Grant, preferably speed demons. I dont think they have an off road specific carb. But all their carbs a easy to tune, have special features found on the high level carbs from the other guys. They have smoother bores/venturis for better airflow and better power. And finally they look like a crown jewel on top of your powerplant. Best of all they arent super expensive.

On my maverick I went from a misbehaving street avenger to a 750 eddy, picked up a lil power decent enough, but didnt really scream, then I went to a 650 Mighty Demon and it "felt" like 40 hp. It honestly made my engine feel rauchous.

When I do up my 360 with all the goodies itll be a demon sitting on top of it.
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Not to bash your Barry Grant, but will it run off camber? I've seen way to many vehicles run excellent in the garage, put them on an off-camber spot and they're dead. They get winched to the top!

I really doubt that Edely's are a off road only carb, not sure what would make them an off road only???
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Just started researching it. And BG as of 2010 was developing a off road carb, i dont know if they ever did though. I do know they build holleys too so I would imagine they would set up one for off road on request. Also someone in another forum mentioned race cars, like road course or circle track. Which both involve high Gs and cornering loads.
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

I could be wrong, well I'm wrong alot... But I have seen one too many rigs that won't run once they hit the dirt.
Unread 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter View Post
I could be wrong, well I'm wrong alot... But I have seen one too many rigs that won't run once they hit the dirt.
Funny thing.... almost all my jeeps with stock carbs have sucked, sputtered, died, and backfired on the street. But once in 4 in the mud holes and the big hills. They run like a boss.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Ok just talked to Barry Grant. They went through company restructuring a few years back and discontinued the off road line. He did say however that their new street demon has the same features as edelbrocks off road model and should be well suited to off road applications. I retails for under 300 if im not mistaken, and is a very simple carb, with smaller cfm options.

So they may not have a screamer for jeeps, but they have a simple, cheap, quality tool thats will make a jeep perform as it should.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
Ok just talked to Barry Grant. They went through company restructuring a few years back and discontinued the off road line.
Hmm...not exactly a glowing business report.

I tend to pass on "re-structured" companies. It usually means they've gone thru bankruptcy and have screwed every one of their suppliers along the way.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hmm...not exactly a glowing business report.

I usually pass on "re-structured" companies. It usually means they've gone thru bankruptcy and have screwed every one of their suppliers along the way.

Matt
Well you say that but it happened right after the market went to crap, around the time everybody was screaming for more hybrids, and so yes the smallest, although well respected, carburator company did have to go through bankruptcy. Unfortunatly the government spent all hot rod industries bailout money on banks.

Edelbrock has much more than carbs, holley could just go to the junkyard and rebuild a million cores to turn a profit, but Barry Grant a stalwart in the hot rodding community only sells carbs. They actually folded and closed their doors, many magazines wrote articles about this. And there was a massive consumer outcry, which led to them being able to find the capital to resume production. Minus a dedicated off road line.

They are a good company that makes good carbs. The fact that their tech department responded to an email in less than 30 minutes is a testament to that fact. Anyways take a look at a demon in person and you will see the quality for yourself.
Unread 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yes, I know about bankruptcy. I helped my father-in-law's manufacturing company avoid one during that same period.

Our reason for not gong the easy bankruptcy route was all of the smaller vendors and suppliers who would have been screwed. We just couldn't do that to those folks, many of them were friends, so we worked our way thru it and eventually got everybody paid.

I don't have a lot of respect for "restructured" companies. It's often not the owners, or corporate officers, who suffer in a company bankruptcy, it's the smaller suppliers, who they owe money to, who suffer.

Edit: Op, sorry for the momentary hijack.

Matt
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Im just in it for the performance man, I may not like a company for this that or another reason but if they make a superior product at a good price Im gonna bolt it on.

Well Ive given my vote on the carb debate BG on an Edelbrock manifold. Ive given my reasons and dont need to get into a social economic debate.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Maverick View Post
Im just in it for the performance man, I may not like a company for this that or another reason but if they make a superior product at a good price Im gonna bolt it on.

Well Ive given my vote on the carb debate BG on an Edelbrock manifold. Ive given my reasons and dont need to get into a social economic debate.
You say your are in it for the performance, but you also say all your CJ's with stock carburetors sucked, sputtered, died and backfired...hmmmm.

...and now without fixing your jeeps manifold leaks, timing and carb tuning your just going to bolt it on

Just trying to figure out where you are coming from

OP...The Carb Shop in Ontario CA can build you a custom carb for your specific application. They will tune all the air bleeds, jet, power vavle and completely calibrate your fuel curve for your engine. I know Matt can vouch for National Carburetors as they do a fantastic job as well.

SC
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'll add this for the OP's consideration....

There's a reason the Rochester Quadrajet was the most popular and widely used four-barrel carburetor in General Motors' history. It's also considered by many one of the best off-road carbs.

Just food for thought.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.