holley truck avenger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > holley truck avenger

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
petey156
1977 CJ5 

holley truck avenger

So I bought a brand new holley 670 Truck avenger,
I runs good but...

when i start a cold engine should it rev to around 1200 for a minute or so and then settle to 650?
I think that it should, but it I have to keep it runnung, by pumping the accelerator.
Its on a ford 351W with a t-176 . the choke wire is a iggnition controlled 12 volts.

what is out of adjustment? how do i fix it? I think it has to do with the high idle, and the and the choke, but i am not sure what to do with that.

thanks!!

petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey156 View Post
I think it has to do with the high idle, and the and the choke, but i am not sure what to do with that.
Sounds like it to me, here's the manual:
http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R10268-4.pdf
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
mud4me

I have the same carb.

It sounds to me like you have a stuck float in one of the two bowls.

If that's the case, you can try to tap on the bowls lightly with a wrench and hopefully it'll become un-stuck.

Or you'll have to remove the bowls and do a visual inspection and correct. Even though your carb is brand new, I find it best to have some new bowl gaskets on hand, as they sometimes tear when the bowl is pulled off the carb. And when you remove the bowls you need to be very careful that the needles are re-installed correctly.
Unread 04-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Stuck float seems less likely to me on these carbs, possible I guess, but not likely. Remember, externally adjustable floats are one of the major benefits of this carb, so no need to take the bowls off; just remove the sight plugs and see where the fuel level sits.

I guess I forgot to ask the obvious first, but did you turn the idle stop up? It's the screw on the throttle linkage side of the carb.
Unread 04-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
petey156
1977 CJ5 

i set the idle to 650 when everything was warm, by adjusting the idol stop on the linkage side. was that wrong..
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
mud4me

When my carb was new - the front float stuck and a simple tapping the bowl with a wrench fixed it.
Unread 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
alpinedog

The choke on mine works perfect if I don't gun it while initial fire up. So if you have the electric choke, take off the air cleaner, have someone pump it once while cold, turn the key, and you verify if the choke is working right. If not, the choke is stuck and just needs to be cleaned or oiled.
alpinedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.