Holley Truck Avenger 470 Cfm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley Truck Avenger 470 Cfm?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-19-2005, 11:02 PM   #1
77 renegade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holley Truck Avenger 470 Cfm?

I just read in a mag that Holley has come out with a 470 cfm truck avenger carb.I have been looking at the truck avenger line of carbs since I bought my 77 cj5.It had a 4 barrel holley 600 manual choke carb on it when I got it and was running like crap and leaking gas all over the place.I put on a 2 barrel carb and adapter until I got the rest of the problems with the jeep squared away( didnt have any brakes).Now I just ordered a set of hedman fenderwell headers and dynomax turbo mufflers today and I am ready to get the carb next .I was wondering if the 470 would be about right for the 304 ( it has a edelbrock alum intake ) or if I should run something a lil bigger or smaller? Please bare with me I grew up messin with late model 5.0 mustangs so carbs arent my fortay .I am more comfortable with fuel injection and may go that route later on if I swap in a 302 or 351w. Just wanted some opinions.It runs fine with the 2 barrel but looks kinda cheesey with that adapter up there on the edelbrock intake.Thanks!

Bill

Unread 02-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

I have the Truck Avenger 650. I have to say Holley did all right on this one. I haven't been a fan of Holley for off roading vehicles for a long time now, but when I couldn't tune my Edelbrock for emissions, I switched to Holley.
I had to install smaller jets for the elevation change and now it works great. Passed my emission test with no problems.
I can feel the difference in the low end and hi-way passing power.

On the 79' CJ5, 304 engine I had years ago, I installed a 500cfm Holley. It worked great, but it would never pass emission.

Go with the 650 cfm . Even more so because of the headers.
You don't want to under feed the fuel. Pings, spark knocks, burnt pistons, etc, etc.
Good luck with your project.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

A 304 will need app 450CFM at 5000RPM's(at 100% volumetric efficiency). The smaller carb will give you better throttle responce at lower RPM's.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2005, 04:52 PM   #4
knifeboy2

I agree to go with the 470 if you must go Holley. I'm still running the stock MC2100 and it works fantastically so I'm not biased against one aftermarket brand vs. another....but no matter which you pick you'll hear comments about how one person could never get it tuned right, etc. There is such a thing as too much fuel and then you're just wasting it.
Unread 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
77 renegade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Y eah I have been there before with too much carb for an engine I used to think bigger was better but that was in my younger days. I looked on Summit's website last night and the 470 cfm carb wont be available to ship until 3-10-05. I'm gonna run the 2 barrel til then .No complaints with the running just looks a lil cheesey to me lil 2 bbl with adapter on top of the edelbrock lol. Thanks for the replys!

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.