Holley Truck Avenger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley Truck Avenger

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Holley Truck Avenger

Anyone running a Holley Truck Avenger 670?

I think mine is running very rich. The Main jets are 68 and the secondary plate had size 89 jets in the metering plate.

Iwas going to drop this down to 64 primary with a 8.0 power valve and like a secondary plate with an 80 orifice.

ANYBODY????????????????

Unread 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I run one on the wife's CJ5 (AMC 360).. bolted it on right out of the box a year ago and haven't had a problem with it since. For a 670 those jet numbers sound pretty close. Not sure about the power valve number.. have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine to see what it's pulling? If it's lower than the power valve opening point, it's gonna open at idle and dump fuel.. Why do you believe it's running rich?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
moloss

not to hijack but I'm running one on my W/T and I have a hesitation right off idle..... if I stomp on it sometimes it will even kill the motor.....any ideas? does that mean it's running rich? thanks.
moloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Usually, if it stumbles off idle when you stab the throttle, it's due to a lean condition. However, engine timing plays just an important roll in full throttle performance as proper carb adjustment. Make sure your distributor's vacuum advance is working. You can pull the cap, suck on the vacuum hose and see if the distributor "guts" move. Make sure that advance hose is connected to a ported vacuum source too. That's a vacuum source that only sees vacuum when the throttle is opened. As for the carb, make sure the accelerator pump linkage doesn't have any slop in it and you're getting a "squirt" as soon as the throttle blades move. Also, there are 2 cam positions for the accelerator pump cam. Without looking, I think the number 1 position brings on a quicker pump shot right off idle and the number 2 position moves that up a little in the RPM range and makes for a longer pump shot..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #5
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Holley Truck Avenger

I think it's running rich for a few reasons:

1. Since I am running a cat converter it STINKS. The smell of the exhaust is a sign of running rich

2. It's a CJ 7 with a 360 and it EATS fuel.

3. The exhaust is full of black soot.

It's a 9 to 1 motor with a mild cam so I might be better off with a street avenger
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

i have that same problem with the truck avenger. the PO didnt do a thing to it. but i took it to a shop to see what was wrong with it and they said the accelerator pump was sticking in it. i said ok fix it and they did. it runs a lot better now but it still spits and sputters in 4 gear. i wanna down size the jets like you do but have no had time or the knowledge to do it. i need to get a book or something. anyone have a diagram of the TA?
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

Holley Truck Avenger

I think a better situation for me is to change to the Street Avenger. It is much more suited for daily driving. The Truck avenger is better suited for a more modified motor with like 10:1 compression, mid range cam ect.........

If you want to keep yours the jetting change is easy.

Take the carb off and put it on a clean table. There are 4 bowl screws on the front and 4 on the rear bowl. If you remove the lower ones first, the fuel will drain out. After removing the upper ones the bowl comes off. Behind the bowl is the metering block. Really you could leave it in place without damaging the gasket to the main carburetor casting. The jets are located in the lower area of the metering block. Use a large screw driver and remove them.

The Truck avenger comes with 68 main and 89 secondary jets. I would try like 64 primary and 84 secondary. the reason that the secondary is so much larger is because the primary side has a Power Valve that opens at a predetermined vacuum reading and richens the mixture.

When my Street Avenger comes in I will let you know how it works.
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I think the Street Avenger is almost identical to the Truck Avenger. The T/A is slightly more expensive because of a few additional offroad mods (which shouldn't really affect street driving at all). My T/A is running on an almost identical engine to what you described.. (360, mild cam, about 9 to 1..etc). It starts easily, idles very well and will lift the front tires off the ground from a standing stop.

Have you tried bolting the carb onto another engine? One thing that's nice is that I have a buddy with a similar setup. So when we have problems diagnosing something, we swap parts around to eliminate or verify the problem... maybe you could swap the carb onto a buddy's rig and see if it acts the same?...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
John N
1981 CJ8 

Don't buy another carb to avoid changing jets. Holley carbs are really easy to work with, give it a shot. Once you've done it one time, you can change Holley jets in 2-3 minutes...it's that easy. The gaskets are usually re-usable, but get some spares anyway.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
jhndrgrn

My Truck Avenger is running a little rich, but I have not wanted to go and experiment with it yet. I would rather run a little rich than lean on the carb. Plus, it maybe the next to best thing to fuel injection offroad wise.

Chvymn99
jhndrgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #11
Trigger
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My buddy is pretty much a master at these carbs and we're trying to get mine dialed in now. It's the 670 on a 304. Right now, I'm running 63 mains, but I'm going to be dropping down to 60 pretty soon and see what that does. Mine's doing the whole backfiring off the line trick too, but I think mine's a timing/ignition problem. Once I get it dialed in, I'll post what all we did to make it work.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

670 cfm is a pretty big carb for a 304... Holley makes a 470 cfm Truck Avenger now that is probably better suited to smaller displacement V8s and most 6 bangers..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 04-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
Trigger
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
670 cfm is a pretty big carb for a 304... Holley makes a 470 cfm Truck Avenger now that is probably better suited to smaller displacement V8s and most 6 bangers..
Yeah, I know. I got this one new in box for $150. I couldn't pass it up.
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.