Holley Pro-Jection and Premier Power Welder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley Pro-Jection and Premier Power Welder

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-17-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Holley Pro-Jection and Premier Power Welder

Hey all, I'm considering picking up a Premier Power Welder for the CJ. I recently installed Holley's Pro Jection on the 350. Question is.. if I weld on the Jeep's frame with the Premier Welder, will it damage the ECM for the fuel injection? The Holley manual says to disconnect the ECM when welding on the vehicle but obviously I can't do that with an onboard welder. I've already welded on the Jeep a few times without disconnecting the ECM (forgot to do it), but that was with my shop welder. Any thoughts?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:09 PM   #2
hamyscj

I think any electronic manufacturer will tell you that. I'm sure someone has blown out their ECM while welding. I doubt that Holley's is that much more sensitive than OEM ECM's. I would say that if you are welding in your shop to disconnect it. But like you said, how can you do that in the field? Maybe you'd want to carry a spare ECM, just in case. Oh the glories of fi. We didn't have to worry about this crap with carbs.

On another note, how close are you to VA Beach? A friend just moved down there and we were wondering where to go wheeling in that area? If you got any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear it.

Later, Hamy.
Unread 11-17-2002, 12:47 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I'm about 30 miles north of VA Beach. Your buddy should link up with Tidewater Fourwheelers Club. It's based down there where he's at and takes trips all over to wheel. Hmmm.. guess I'll either take along a spare ECM or maybe a carb.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
hamyscj

Thanks, Hamy.
Unread 11-17-2002, 10:42 PM   #5
JIM79CJ7

Re: Holley Pro-Jection and Premier Power Welder

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
Hey all, I'm considering picking up a Premier Power Welder for the CJ. I recently installed Holley's Pro Jection on the 350. Question is.. if I weld on the Jeep's frame with the Premier Welder, will it damage the ECM for the fuel injection? The Holley manual says to disconnect the ECM when welding on the vehicle but obviously I can't do that with an onboard welder. I've already welded on the Jeep a few times without disconnecting the ECM (forgot to do it), but that was with my shop welder. Any thoughts?
Seems to me the rule of thumb is welding on your own vehiocle you should reverse the polarity . if I recall correctly .

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 11:02 PM   #6
evilpsych

yeah i think it's electrode positive when welding on your own vehicle..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.