Holley Pro-Jection - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Dtray332

Holley Pro-Jection

I would like to try the Holley Pro-Jection, but my CJ-7 is a 1986. The book says that it is for 79 through 82, because of the computer ran carburetor. I have a different carb on my Jeep right now that is not ran by a computer. What else is ran by the computer that would stop me from using the Pro-Jection? If anything else is ran by it, is there a way around it? By the way, is there anyone out there that has used it? I don't know anyone that has, but everything I read on it is good.

Thanks, Dave

1986 Renegade CJ7, 258 straight 6, 4 inch Pro Comp lift, 33 inch Super Swampers (TSL Radial), Double Trail Master steering stabilizer, cool set of aircraft seat restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 08:54 AM
86lerado

Friend is running on his replaced the ignition modual with jacobs and cut all that ign.computer crap out.Pro inject has own brain so don't need it .Good Luck

J-just
E-empty
E-every
P=pocket
86 CJ-7 Laredo 4"lift 37"SSR's 30frt/44rear,3.31gears,258,auto/300t-case,caged,custom bumpers.
Wifes 92 YJ 2.5"springs,2"body,35"MTR's30f/35r,4.88gears,airlock front, locrite rear,4.0/5spd.,caged ,custom bumpers,6000'warn.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 10:38 AM
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks like a nice unit. What's the pricing?????????????

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...FI/501-12.html

2010 2 door JK Red Rubicon.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 10:49 AM
rcsutton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Pricey, do you hate the carb that much????????

HLY-501-12
$875.69

Vendor: Holley Performance Products, Inc.
Product Line: Holley Pro-Jection Fuel Injection Systems
Material: Aluminum
Finish: Bright

A stand alone fuel injection system for your carbureted car or truck.

Jeep: 1979-82 258, manual transmission, 2 barrel carburetor, 300 cfm Pro-Jection one barrel digital fuel injection system

This Pro-Jection system flows 300 cfm. It provides improved drivability, fantastic throttle response, greater fuel economy, and increased power over your OEM system. It is a complete stand-alone system.

Sold as a kit.

2010 2 door JK Red Rubicon.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 01:16 PM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Not sure how it works with the 258 but I run a ProJection unit on my 350 and love it. The throttle response is unreal. I have to adjust it a little with the changing of the seasons but it's not difficult. I might install the O2 sensor retrofit to keep the A/F ratio constant. The system was very complete and the directions were simple enough. If you can swap a carb you can install the ProJection. Good luck!

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old 02-28-2004, 02:59 PM
79cj360

from what ive read the the projection only flows enough for abotu 250 hp. holley has other kits that go form 300-500 that is abotu $1900. i price done yesterday from advanced autoparts.

the stock amc v8's only have about 200hp in stocktrim, maybe 225. if you want to add more power later on youll have to get a bigger kit. i say if your getting it find out how much power you want to run then go from there. do the cam and all at the same time

john
79 cj7
70 amx 360
turbo 350
12 inch lift
39.5's
np 208
re quick disconnects
rancho shocks
cutom driveshafts
snorkel
14 bolt rear
international dana 70 front w/closed knuckles

" damn modification bug bit me hard, so im bittin back!!"

"Go mud or go home"
post #7 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 07:41 AM
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I was kinda worried about that whole 275 hp thing but I haven't had any problems and I'm probably at the upper limit of that 275. I run a +.040 over 350 with flat top pistons, a Performer intake and cam, headers, and an Accel distributor. My CJ will break the rear 35" TSLs loose on dry pavement (had to try it at least once ). The ProJection unit I got from Summit can actually be set up for a small block or a big block so I think the 275 limit is on the conservative side..

'80 CJ5 w/AMC360, T176, D44 w/Detroit 4.56, RE 4" YJ lift and 35s..

post #8 of 8 Old 02-29-2004, 11:58 AM
jeepmor

Holley? I wouldn't and didn't...

I am glad to hear that someone out there has had good luck with Holley pro-jection. I personally have not met anyone pleased with this setup. I would stay away from Holley personally. I own a Howell jeep kit on my 258 and I love it. All GM stock parts with an 02 sensor control. There is an independent guy out there at the following website. This guy knows his stuff and puts together TBI systems for jeeps for $900 that are pretty much the same thing as a howell kit, but even better in my opinion.

www.customefis.com

Howell also makes a 4bbl TBI kit that uses a holley projection throttle body, but they control the system with all GM parts otherwise for simplicity and replaceability nearly anywhere in America. Not that the holley system is less reliable, but if it tanks on you in the middle of a trip, it could be quite a while to special order the parts needed. Whereas if you lose something on the GM part like your Idle Air Controller, coolant sensor, o2 sensor, Map sensor, throttle position sensor, most any parts store will have it, in stock. And all those parts are usually less and $40 bucks each. In the 6 years on my TBI, I had to replace the IAC due to a bad sealing gasket inside it.

Plus, lets face it, GM put millions if not billons into the development of these systems. Do you think Holley has that kind of budget?

Any system you choose, I would match that up to a new distributor like the GM HEI swap. This injection guy can give you instructions on how to utilize the spark advance control with a knock sensor on the GM system, which is something Howell does not have on the jeep system.

This was not an option when I put my injection on 6 years ago, and if I did not have to spend $400 more for a new harness to tap into the spark control, I would do it.

Other worthy systems to look at are made by Turbo City, but this customefis guy seems to have the best prices and is willing to share the knowledge of what it takes to make an injection system work.

jeepmor

Last edited by jeepmor; 02-29-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.