Holley Carb is whopping my butt - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley Carb is whopping my butt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

If gas is coming out the vent tube it is your float adjustment, needle not seating or too much fuel pressure pushing past the needle and flooding your engine.

SC

Unread 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #32
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You loosened up the flat blade screw then turned the needle assembly with a 5/8 inch wrench to adjust it. Take it off again and adjust the float 1/8 lower then it is not.

It's not hard adjusting the float height. I had issues back in the day cause I thought the screw did it.

Also you could start over with a new needle and seat. And try again.

Edit

Holley has a how too on YouTube on setting float height.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #33
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Turning the 5/8 nut clockwise while holding the locking screw in place will lower the float height.

If you pull the bowl off holding it upside down a good needle and seat test it trying to blow air through the fuel line. If you can with the float bowl inverted you need to replace the needle and seat.
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #34
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

86...that's how I checked mine a few weeks ago...

OP here's some good info...

http://holleytv.com/?cat=13

scroll down for float adjustment...

SC
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve

SC
I'm on my cell or I'd post a link to Holley's YouTube video.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #36
flshovelhead
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve View Post

SC
Thanks for the link. I watched Holley's instructions for setting the float adjustment on a running engine.

I pulled the inspection port screw on the side and gas came out of the carb; obviously the float level was set too high. I backed out the locking screw and turned the adjusting nut clockwise approximately 3/4 of a turn. I then reinstalled the inspection port screw on the side of the carb and attempted to start (with the choke plate partially closed).

Good news:
The carb didn't spew gas out the top like on every other occasion.

Bad news:
The engine ran very poorly and seemed like it was on the verge of stalling. I then blipped the throttle and the RPM went up to a very high setting. I attempted to actuate the choke linkage lever to open up the choke plate and drop the engine RPM. It didn't seem to have much of an effect on the RPM, but the engine cut off shortly there after.

To further confuse the issue, when I had attempted to start earlier and had the geyser of gas shooting out of the top of the carb the engine seemed to be running halfway decently. At one point I pulled the fuel inlet line and let the carburetor run with the just the gas in the float bowl and it seemed to run strong until it consumed all the available gasoline in the bowl. Other than dinking around with the float level adjustment nut I haven't changed any other settings.

I poked around in the HolleyTV video links, but all the tuning videos are predicated on a normal running carb with only minor fine tuning. So, is there an initial setting for the engine idle screw the carb should be at? What base line adjustment should I start with to get a "normal" setting to start with?
flshovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.