Holley Carb turned into a gas fountain? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley Carb turned into a gas fountain?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
specwarCJ
1982 CJ7 

Holley Carb turned into a gas fountain?

Ok this is some seriously weird stuff. I have been running this jeep for a month now and everything ran perfectly. The motor just purred without a miss or anything (350Chevy) (holley 600CFM-80475s) I did hookup the electric choke and ran it a couple of times and everything seemed fine.

Today I go out there and for whatever reason the engine was running very rough right out of the gate. I pulled the air cleaner in time to see a pencil size stream of gas coming out of the top of the carburator and basically getting all over everything. Basically it is drowning in its own fuel. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this? I just don't understand why fuel would shoot up through fuel bowl vents. Ha, I bet I am the only CJ with a aftermarket fountain installed.

specwarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
rokcrawler3203
1974 DJ 

I don't ever work on carbs, but could it be too much fuel pressure? Are you running a electric fuel pump to a regulator of any kind. I just don't know why it would happen all of a sudden.

"Of course I keep my dishwater clean, it just looks like chocolate milk and lettuce when I'm done" --Chance; A fellow employee
NITECREW #245
rokcrawler3203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
my-jeep-earl
1971 CJ5 

It sounds like a stuck float needle valve, check that first. Is it a dual feed or single and are the float valves accessable on the top of the bowls? Is the gas comming from the vent in the Primary (front) or the secondary (rear) brass vertical tube in the main body?
my-jeep-earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
specwarCJ
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokcrawler3203 View Post
I don't ever work on carbs, but could it be too much fuel pressure? Are you running a electric fuel pump to a regulator of any kind. I just don't know why it would happen all of a sudden.

I don't know. I am sure it is the original. Everything else on this 82 CJ7 besided the engine-trans-and transfer case-radiator is all original and rusted all to heck. I put a new fuel filter on a while back and it continued to run great. I don't have a fuel regulator on it. I will check to see if it is an automatic fuel pump. The only adjustment I have made on the carb was hooking up the automatic choke. A month ago I did adjust the fuel in the bowls so that they were just under the weep hole.
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
specwarCJ
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-jeep-earl View Post
It sounds like a stuck float needle valve, check that first. Is it a dual feed or single and are the float valves accessable on the top of the bowls? Is the gas comming from the vent in the Primary (front) or the secondary (rear) brass vertical tube in the main body?
The gas is periodically shooting out of the front most bowl vent (front meaning the closest to the front of the jeep). Here is a picture of it. http://1970mgr.org/Holley600.gif

And here is a great video of what it looks like except this is somebody elses carb and the fuel shoots higher out of mine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8G2KQmOZ-Q
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Fish4it

Sounds like a stuck float.
Fish4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Maybe the float is stuck down, which keeps the needle and seat open, and continually fills the bowl, which would eventually shoot out the vent?
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
specwarCJ
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Maybe the float is stuck down, which keeps the needle and seat open, and continually fills the bowl, which would eventually shoot out the vent?

That would explain why it is only coming ut of the front vent and not the back. Can and check and adjust without pulling the whole thing off?
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
xeroOTG
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the float to me. An old mechanic once told me to use a small block of wood and a hammer to break the float free. Put the block of wood up against the bowl, and give it a good smack or two. I didn't believe it would work, but my dad and I used it to break a stuck float in my sisters MC 2100 on her 360.

1975 Jeep CJ5 258 TBI EFI, T-18, D-20, D44 rear, 4.11.
1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, AW4, NP231 October 2009 - August 2012
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, AX15, NP231 - August 2012
xeroOTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by specwarCJ View Post
I pulled the air cleaner in time to see a pencil size stream of gas coming out of the top of the carburator and basically getting all over everything. Basically it is drowning in its own fuel. Does anybody have an idea what could cause this? I just don't understand why fuel would shoot up through fuel bowl vents. Ha, I bet I am the only CJ with a aftermarket fountain installed.
Classic signs of something holding the fuel 'Needle' valve off the seat.
Probably something in the lines got into the carb.

With the vehicle OFF,
You can LOOSEN the locking screw off the float level adjuster,
Then use the 'Nut' under the screw to remove the fuel inlet valve and clean it up, re-install it.

If you don't have an 'Avenger' type carb, this is a very good time to install the 'Off Road' needle and seat assembly,
LINK: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-6-513/

Be VERY careful or you will run the gaskets when you move/remove the adjuster and lock screw.

Take the line off the carb and flush the line (crank the engine) while you are doing the service work,

AND,
Install a proper fuel filter while you are there.

I didn't see any mention of new fuel pump,
But valves in the fuel pump can become inoperative if they are full of crap,
And new fuel pumps in particular can cause pressure problems since they can have bypass valves rust shut, ect.

Electronic pumps are prone to too much fuel without fuel pressure regulators,
So if you run electronic fuel pump, make sure the fuel pressure is below 7 PSI, and 4 or 5 PSI is better for off road vehicles.

Since only ONE of the bowls is spewing fuel, and there is an inlet valve in BOTH bowls, It's like I said,
THIS IS A CLASSIC SIGN OF SOMETHING IN THE FRONT FLOAT BOWL FUEL INLET NEEDLE AND SEAT VALVE.

Since I'm a factory trained Holley tech with over 30 years working on these things,
You just *MIGHT* want to check out what I'm saying...

Last edited by JeepHammer; 08-10-2009 at 06:28 AM..
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

The day I installed a new DUI HEI distributor, on my first attempt to start the engine, the carb (no air filter on) shot gas up about 3 feet, ran rough as a bugger for 5 seconds, then died.

I made a few changes, and tried it again. Same thing.

I called DUI, and they said to send them the distributor, so that they could test it. It ended up having a bad module, so they replaced it.

It's been fine ever since.

Do you have HEI ignition? If so, you could have a bad module.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
Cherokeester
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
The day I installed a new DUI HEI distributor, on my first attempt to start the engine, the carb (no air filter on) shot gas up about 3 feet, ran rough as a bugger for 5 seconds, then died.

I made a few changes, and tried it again. Same thing.

I called DUI, and they said to send them the distributor, so that they could test it. It ended up having a bad module, so they replaced it.

It's been fine ever since.

Do you have HEI ignition? If so, you could have a bad module.

Rich
Why would your dizzy have anything to do with a fuel delivery problem like that? Just curious.
Cherokeester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The dist being wonky can spark wrong, blow fuel back up through the intake.

As for Holley, it is a hole through which MUCH gas passes!

Electric fuel pumps are NOT stock on these Jeeps. Most run too high of pressure for a carb.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.