Holley carb-- is this too much? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley carb-- is this too much?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
way_of_life
1978 CJ7 

Holley carb-- is this too much?

Someody just gave me a lightly used (perfect condition) Holley 80555 (650 cfm). Is it way too big for a 304? I don't have any crazy engine mods or anything that would require tons of cfm but using a free carb is better than buying a new one and having a carb collection
-- I am aware that this wasn't made for the edelbrock r4b intake manifold- I'll get an adapter if I decide to use the carb

Here's what Holley says about it--
•Vacuum secondaries allow use on wide variety of vehicles
•Electric choke
•Single feed fuel inlet
•Q-Jet Replacement, spread bore bolt pattern
•Vacuum for: PCV,EGR, power brakes, distributor,air cleaner & canister
•Performance upgrade for stock to mildly modified vehicles
•Universal calibration for easy bolt-on performance

Holley Performance Products 650 CFM Four Barrel Street Carburetor*0-80555C

Unread 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
Military Jeeper
1979 CJ5 

For a 304, they recommend the 470 cfm..............some run the larger, but most run the 470. Do a search on Holley Avenger, and you'll see what I'm talking about. I just searched the other day and based on the searching I got the 470 cfm.

JeepForum.com - Search Results
Jason "MJ" - 79 CJ-5 | SOA/HI-STEER | 304/T18A/D20 w/3:1 TeraLow | Holley Avenger Carb | Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold | DUI Distributor | K&N Filter | Centerforce 2 Clutch | Waggy D44's | 4.11's | ARB's | Hydroboost | HAD Shafts | 35 Toyo MT's|
Military Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

On a bone stock a 650 might tiny bit big, but you could sure tune it for that motor.

Talk to Ricky, I think that was his name, at Holley tech support and he will tell you that the Holley web page is in error. As stated on the 470TA box, if you read all the small print, it is designed for use on a 258CI straight six.

That said still I bet there are lots of guys here that are very happy with a 470TA on a 304. Nice thing about a Holley, you can adjust it all day long.
Unread 01-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

I have a Holley 670TA on my bone stock 304. Came with it when I bought the jeep. Runs pretty good, took a little tuning and I get around 10 mpg with it, but works well. I changed the power valve and that seems to help a lot, think I need to re-jet it to a smaller size to dial it in further
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFireman View Post
I have a Holley 670TA on my bone stock 304. Came with it when I bought the jeep. Runs pretty good, took a little tuning and I get around 10 mpg with it, but works well. I changed the power valve and that seems to help a lot, think I need to re-jet it to a smaller size to dial it in further
TKFireman. . . .Do you happen to know a few more details about your carb set up. I just got my 304 back from the machine shop, full rebuild, balanced, torquer cam, performer intake, shorties, 40 over.

On your accelerator pump stuff, what size squirt nozzle you using, what accel pump cam and what color secondary spring. I live bit higher than you so my main jets will be different.

Your input will give me some rough ideas if mine is close or not.
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Everything is stock right now, except for the power valve, don't know anything about the rest of the parts, got to do more reading, pm me so we don't hijack this thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.