Holley carb and stock distributor question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley carb and stock distributor question

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Holley carb and stock distributor question

I have a 360(from a 91 Grand Wagoneer I was told by the PO) with an Edelbrock performer intake on it now, and I am looking at swapping the Edelbrock carb on there now with a Holley. The PO left the vacuum canister disconnected on the distributor, but obviously I want this hooked up. I've read posts in regard to "Ford Vacuum" signal in regards to guys hooking up HEI distributors. I'm not going HEI, I am keeping the stock dizzy but doing the team rush upgrade just so there is no confusion. My question is, will I need to do anything special in regards to recurving the distributor because I will be running a non-ford carburetor with a ford distributor?

Last edited by ElZorro; 01-23-2010 at 07:53 PM..
ElZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Also, anyone know where to get a vacuum cannister for the motorcraft dizzy for cheap? Everywhere I have looked they are $100+, but reman distributors with cannisters on them go for significantly less. I assume my best bet would just be to get a reman distributor and be done with it, unless there is a compelling reason to keep the original.
Unread 01-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I would do an HEI GM swap, BUT use the original gear on the dist you have now!

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Being that the signal produced in the spark port is simply a siphon draw from the venturi, I doubt that there will be any or very little difference. I think the difference lies in the spring tension of the vacuum canister. I've been wrong before though.

Performance Holley Carburetor Tuning
swatson454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

1984 Jeep Zoro,

Looks like you got it about right. The carb and DuraSpark Distributor will be just fine.

If you have a 84 computer distributor it will have 3 / 5 deg mechanical limit slots. The 1978-81 non computer distributors will have 13/18 mechanical limit slots. I woud look down the dist there is a small hole you can see the stamped metal plate and it will have #s by the slots. Look at what you have and then if need you can get a rebuilt dist from the autostores for $50 lifetime. Might have to look at a few to get the large slots but worth it and cheaper than 100 vac can. They also want a core but you can pull the springs mech advance and some of the little parts.

If you have computer distributor I would also take the old cap and cut a window on #1 and ck the rotar phase. The computer distributor have some funky things going on and very worth the ck.

I would match the 78/79 FSM ADvance Curve or slightly sooner. V8 is diff than I6 and so is the CJ vs the full size due to weight and also with auto/manual. So get the right chart. Ask if you do not know where they are we have posted them here on JeepForum
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
1984 Jeep Zoro,

Looks like you got it about right. The carb and DuraSpark Distributor will be just fine.

If you have a 84 computer distributor it will have 3 / 5 deg mechanical limit slots. The 1978-81 non computer distributors will have 13/18 mechanical limit slots. I woud look down the dist there is a small hole you can see the stamped metal plate and it will have #s by the slots. Look at what you have and then if need you can get a rebuilt dist from the autostores for $50 lifetime. Might have to look at a few to get the large slots but worth it and cheaper than 100 vac can. They also want a core but you can pull the springs mech advance and some of the little parts.

If you have computer distributor I would also take the old cap and cut a window on #1 and ck the rotar phase. The computer distributor have some funky things going on and very worth the ck.

I would match the 78/79 FSM ADvance Curve or slightly sooner. V8 is diff than I6 and so is the CJ vs the full size due to weight and also with auto/manual. So get the right chart. Ask if you do not know where they are we have posted them here on JeepForum
Nope no computer. The PO left the bare minimum behind when they did the engine swap along with some of the scariest splicing i have ever seen. If you can point me in the right direction for the chart that would be a big help. Thanks.
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZorro View Post
I have a 360(from a 91 Grand Wagoneer I was told by the PO) with an Edelbrock performer intake on it now, and I am looking at swapping the Edelbrock carb on there now with a Holley. The PO left the vacuum canister disconnected on the distributor, but obviously I want this hooked up. I've read posts in regard to "Ford Vacuum" signal in regards to guys hooking up HEI distributors. I'm not going HEI, I am keeping the stock dizzy but doing the team rush upgrade just so there is no confusion. My question is, will I need to do anything special in regards to recurving the distributor because I will be running a non-ford carburetor with a ford distributor?
IF you go Holley, there won't be an 'Issue' with the vacuum advance.

Check your vacuum advance and make sure the diaphragm isn't ruptured.
Just get a CLEAN vacuum line and connect it to the carb, suck on the line and see if you can get air to flow through the canister.
If so, time for a new distributor since the vacuum canister is virtually impossible to find and costs more than a Reman distributor (reman around $50)

With the cap off the distributor, you can see if the vacuum arm is moving when you 'suck'.
If it works, use it.

Edelbrock's version of the Carter AFB is set up for GM vehicles, and has a 'Weak' signal for the distributor vacuum canister.

Holley will be about perfect for what you are wanting.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElZorro View Post
Nope no computer. The PO left the bare minimum behind when they did the engine swap along with some of the scariest splicing i have ever seen. If you can point me in the right direction for the chart that would be a big help. Thanks.
You signage by your name says 1984 Jeep.

1984 is a computer vintage jeep. You most likely have the small mechanical limit slots and other issues. You distributor might have been changed or modified but not likely.

Hope that helps.
Unread 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
You signage by your name says 1984 Jeep.

1984 is a computer vintage jeep. You most likely have the small mechanical limit slots and other issues. You distributor might have been changed or modified but not likely.

Hope that helps.
I'm not at home right now so can't check but the engine is supposed to be out of a 91 GW so would be a computer distributor I would have to assume. I'll look for the tag when I get home.
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Ended up having to work all day yesterday so I'll check the distributor tonight and see what the plate says in regards to advance. What would be the ideal size carb for the 360? It's bone stock with the exception of the Edelbrock performer intake manifold. Various online carb calculators peg it at around 600-700cfm depending on which one you use, but most lean more towards 600-650cfm.
Unread 01-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Looked in the distributor today, and the only numbers I could see were a 6 and an 8,and they were on opposite sides of the distributor stamped on a plate. Am I not looking in the right place?

I also tried the vacuum hose and the arm is working and I didn't think there was any leak, so other than the can being coated in rust I guess it's ok then?

EDIT: Found this pic that shows where I saw the 8.
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Got your question.

Here are two threads on the DuraSpark Advance Tune. The first one has both v8 & I6 advance curves
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/team-rush-ignition-coil-connector-wiring-595104/

Prep for TeamRush 258 - Advance Curve Kit

The stamped numbers you discuss and show is a computer controlled distributor, the one with limitation in mech advance.

You can ck a vac can with hose and sucking on the end hard you will see the vac advance arm move a bit and put your tounge on the end of hose if it holds the vac level then no leak and it works. Not an easy thing to do with mouth suction but can be done. I would look for a pre computer distributor and they like a core trade.

If you trade in ck the rebuilts till you find larger slots and numbers. JH said to keep the springs and reluctor as spare parts and you might get away with the gear too??
Unread 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
gaffman
1981 CJ7 

I have a Holley 1850-3 600 cfm on my 360 (1981 CJ 7 3 speed). Performance is good on low end and high end. PO installed this so not sure on intake, set up etc.
gaffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

I checked the vacuum advance with a vacuum pump and gauge, and sure enough it was slowly leaking. Looks like I need to pick up the reman anyways. Looking at the links provided it looks like even if I can't find an older distributor(non-computer era) then at least I can gain 5 in advance if I flip the advance head. Not ideal but better than nothing.
Unread 01-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #15
ElZorro
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffman View Post
I have a Holley 1850-3 600 cfm on my 360 (1981 CJ 7 3 speed). Performance is good on low end and high end. PO installed this so not sure on intake, set up etc.
I don't know if I really want to know this, but what kind of mileage do you get?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.