Holley carb - Need air filter but clearance issues with brake booster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Holley carb - Need air filter but clearance issues with brake booster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Holley carb - Need air filter but clearance issues with brake booster

Previous owner had a Holley carb installed (and from my brief start up, runs well) but it won't clear the brake booster with filter installed. I don't know what he was running for brakes since I bought the Jeep in pieces, but the air filter won't fit.

Holley measures 5" opening for a filter but I'm not finding anything online. What are you guys using for Holley (or Motorcraft 2100 - I think I read similar dimensions) carbs with boosted brakes? I don't have a stock intake available.

2013-04-06-15.44.32.jpg  
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Time to get a smaller diameter universal air-filter.
Just tell the parts store you need it for a Ford/Holley.
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Do I need to run a vent line into the air cleaner housing? I'm assuming I can use a small standalone filter in place from the valve cover?
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Most aftermarket airfilter lowers had a boss stamped into it so you can drill it and plumb your crankcase to the bottom of the air filter.
If your not smog checking I wouldn't worry about it and just get a small filter that plugs into the bung on the valve cover.
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Thanks. Picked up a small Spectre last night at Autozone that seems to be doing the trick. I'll have to run a separate filter for engine valve cover.

Mass does have emissions, but testing is out for something this old. There still may be visual, but I'm not as worried.
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

Just Googled offset aircleaner and this is on of the hits. http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/tran...FYFxQgodknMATQ
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.