high pitch whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > high pitch whine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
rlewiscj5

high pitch whine

Hi all,

Occationally when my jeep is running I hear a high pitch whine. It is a little concerning. Any thoughts?

Rick

rlewiscj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

No thoughts here, not without a general idea of where you think the whine might be coming from anyway. Engine? Drivetrain? Stereo? Wife?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Check ALL of your driveline's oil levels, NOW!
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

when you push the clutch does the noise go away or change volume.

I had that type noise once years ago, it must have been the throw out bearing, but like many things on the old jeep over the years, it made less and less noise and now its been years since I have heard the noise.
clutch works fine.

(guess it tired of waiting for me to fixed the problem, so it fixed itself)

when you hear the noise, take the belts off and see if you still hear the noise, could be a water pump, alternator bearing, power steering bearing.

check all fluid levels front/rear differentials, transfer case, trans, motor oil levels

coolant level,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Walter1978
1982 CJ5 

I had a whistling whine coming from under the hood on a 1982 six cylinder. Found a suggestion somewhere on this forum that the next to the last intake manifold bolt would loosen and cause a whistling at speed. That single bolt on mine was slightly loose and the whistling went away with a little light wrenching.
Walter1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.