High Pinion Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > High Pinion Dana 44

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
UncleWally
1984 CJ7 

High Pinion Dana 44

I'm looking at upgrading the axles on my 7 to a 44 high pinion front and 60 rear. Does anyone know if there was ever a passenger side drop high pinion Dana 44 used by any OEM?

I know they put them in Bronco's, but other than that, I have no idea where they used them. If I have to, I will build my own axles up, that's not an issue. But a passenger side drop axle would be alot easier to start with.

Waldo

Unread 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
emahan01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have a high pinion 44 and 60 rear 79 f250 but its driver drop it was also in f250 and f150 pick ups f250s are only leaf sprung ones without cast in radius arms passender drop HP to my knowledge does not exist but passenger drop 44s do i believe they were in chevy pickups
Unread 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
ksheffer08
1981 CJ7 

only ford. you will have to have someone re-tube it for a CJ.

granted a high pinion is stronger and nets more clearance..well over rated is a strong word... but I think having a high pinion is.. well over rated. its not worth the cost of retubing and such. your money will be better spent elsewhere unless you can do it yourself
ksheffer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
CSP

High pinion is only stronger in a front axle application. In a rear application the power is being applied to the coast side of the gears instead of the drive side.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
UncleWally
1984 CJ7 

That's what I thought. If they do make one, it's probably some ultra rare axle I won't pay the extra for.

Retubing I can do without to much trouble. Was just trying to save myself some work.

Now - Next question - Will I have to machine the housing to accept the Spring Under?

I figured a Crane High Clearance setup for inner C's and knuckles, along with Hi Steer so the cross tie between the two tie rods would be higher above the springs (obviously to add some protection).

Waldo
Unread 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

They don't make one. As noted, they were only used by Ford, and Ford used a driver's side drop in the years they used them. I have one in my 78 F-150.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
ksheffer08
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
High pinion is only stronger in a front axle application. In a rear application the power is being applied to the coast side of the gears instead of the drive side.
Quote:
I'm looking at upgrading the axles on my 7 to a 44 high pinion front and 60 rear.
if you are using crane knuckles and such maybe you should be using a high pinion housing. have you looked into dedenbears? maybe even D60 kingpin knuckles
Unread 10-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
ksheffer08
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Now - Next question - Will I have to machine the housing to accept the Spring Under?
nope weld some perches on the new tubes.

BTW, keep us updated.. I like where this build is going
Unread 09-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Tom1store
1977 CJ5 

Hi Pinion 44 Project in process

Here is my budget recipe for a CJ 60"ish axle
79 hi pinion center section out of a Bronco
New tubes and welding perches to them
18.91" RH inner (Stock 79 F150 LH inner)
27.94 LH inner (Stock 77 Bronco RH Inner)
This gives a 47.16" upper ball joint to upper ball joint width. Using stock Dana 30 Jeep outers this makes 59.16" WMS to WMS
A close match to Scout D44 or a Ford 8.8 Explorer

Does this work out? I get the center section Monday.
Tom1store is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Please document this build and post a link here. I'm getting ready to build a set of 44 axles and this is what I'm looking for in the front. I don't really need hi pinion, but it sounds like I would expand my options for donors if I retube any available ones. I have the equipment to do the work myself.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just seems like an awful lot of work to go thru for a front D44... even a HP D44. The HP44 might be stronger in a front axle application (and allow for better driveshaft angle) but if you're breaking (or worried about breaking) any D44's ring/pinion, it's time to step up to a 60. Front Dana 60s have gotten a bit cheaper in the past couple years. Pretty easy to find them in the $600-$800 range around here. While that's still a good chunk of change, it's comparable to a D44 with alloy shafts and super joints... which still won't hold a candle to a 60.

I've seen a few front Dana 44 "failures" on the trail. In order of frequency, I'd say it goes hub, ujoint, axle shafts and then ring/pinion. So, unless you've upgraded to drive pucks, alloy shafts and some sort of super joint, the HP strength benefit doesn't even come into play in most cases.

Having said all that, I am running a low pinion D44 in my CJ5 with Warn hubs, Moser 4340 shafts (inner/outer) and Spicer ujoints and it's held up pretty well with 33s and 35s. However, if I were going any larger in tire size, I'd toss a D60 under the frontend.. and it just so happens I have a couple of GM 60s with 4.56 gears laying around the shop..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Tom1store
1977 CJ5 

D44 high pinion

On the subject of the Dana 60 vs Dana 44.
I am going the 44 way for the following reasons.
First is weight. I don't know what the 60 weighs - is it twice as much as a 44? I can lift a 44 myself without help. The jeep was 2100 lbs before I took it apart. Adding a fiberglass windshield frame to the mix and light weight seats - I hope to be closer to 2000 lbs when its done. Besides I won't be able to say "I should have built a 60 first" when I'm changing an axle shaft on the trail.
Second is ground clearance - I'm sure the 44 is smaller
Third - cost - sure the 44 I'm building is going to take a bit of work but cost wise I got the axle shafts (all four) used OEM for $50. Easy to carry spares at that price. The center section and carrier is free - I will post what I pay for the new tubes. I'm thinking 3/8 wall will be plenty. The biggest cost I can see is a new ring and pinion 3.73. I wish I could find a used set.
Fourth - I just hate the idea of outboarding the springs - I don't see how i could get a 60 under it without moving the springs. The layout I have on the 44 I believe will work with perches on the tubes and it could be built opposite for YJs with the same parts - kind of universal I think it matches scout 44 rears, explorer 8.8 rears, and wide track rears.
Fifth - I have a small block Ford 302 that makes horsepower from 4000 to 6000 RPM and a 6.33 first gear (t-19 out of a scout but that was a whole different project) The engine doesn't make enough torque to peel a grape the the 44 should be plenty.
I can - if I hit the lotto upgrade to one ton outters and beefy shafts in the future. Right now I'm looking at a bare frame with the rear end (scout D44 factory locker tracker rotors 98 mustang GT brake calipers with home made caliper brackets) I have a long way to go... and need to keep an eye on the budget or the wife will shut me down (being married to an accountant has its plus and minus). I plan to run 35" Dick Cepek Crushers - they will be the last piece I buy. I'll post pics of the axle as I go.
Unread 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1store View Post
Fifth - I have a small block Ford 302 that makes horsepower from 4000 to 6000 RPM and a 6.33 first gear (t-19 out of a scout but that was a whole different project) The engine doesn't make enough torque to peel a grape the the 44 should be plenty.

My neighbor broke the R&P on his F-150 with a Ford 8.8 rear end with a 302 and an automatic tranny, so I think a 302 could break a Dana 44 with a 6:1 manual tranny.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Good excuse to go SOA. I'm running a High Pinion Dana 44 front that was out of a older F-150. Retubing the axles was quite easy. I used a torch to blow out the plug welds between the housing and the axle tubes. I used 1/2" wall DOM for the tubes. They were machined to accept the inner axle oil seal, and turned down a couple thousands on the OD. I set the MIG welder to "Stun" and welded them in. The inner C's were air arc'd off the donor axle and prepped for assembly onto the new tubes. Once I got the spring pad set at the angle I wanted, I then set the Caster angle. Welded up the inner C's and the housing was done.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #15
Tom1store
1977 CJ5 

82JeepCJ7 - Can you post a pic of the axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Good excuse to go SOA. I'm running a High Pinion Dana 44 front that was out of a older F-150. Retubing the axles was quite easy. I used a torch to blow out the plug welds between the housing and the axle tubes. I used 1/2" wall DOM for the tubes. They were machined to accept the inner axle oil seal, and turned down a couple thousands on the OD. I set the MIG welder to "Stun" and welded them in. The inner C's were air arc'd off the donor axle and prepped for assembly onto the new tubes. Once I got the spring pad set at the angle I wanted, I then set the Caster angle. Welded up the inner C's and the housing was done.
I got the center section and started measuring today. It seams the tube is a bit under 3" maybe 0.025" is that about what you had turned off?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.