Hi All! I have Vin number woes. What Jeep is mine?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hi All! I have Vin number woes. What Jeep is mine??

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 03-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Hi All! I have Vin number woes. What Jeep is mine??

Hello All,

I just bought last month a '77 CJ7 with a 304 V8. I know the past owner, and he only had it a few months. The Jeep became too independable for him to use as a daily driver. It has a VIN number on the title, but nothing on the Jeep, except for a partial number (8 numbers, from what I can make out) on the rusty frame. My Jeep has been redone before, and the VIN plate is missing, along with all the other appropriate stickers and plates. I tried to decode the VIN number on the title, and the number points to a 6 cylinder CJ5, with a manual trans. My CJ is a CJ7 with a 304V8, and automatic transmission. I dont have the Quadratrac transfer case, I have a Dana 300 mated to the automatic trans. Is my Jeep newer than a '77? Dana 300's were from '80 and newer. I joined this forum to get answers, and tap into a great resource, and have some fun with fellow Jeep lovers. I tried those online VIN number searches, and they only research back to '81, when the VIN numbers changed to 17 characters, from 13, which what my tile has.

I want to make this Jeep right, if I can. I have my Jeep taken apart right now, and about to remove the rusted out tub. Any suggestions on what to do next in straightening out this VIN number delema? I know Jeeps change hands over and over, and being able to simply build your own Jeep is what makes them so great.

down-tub.jpg  

Last edited by skidplate77; 03-22-2008 at 12:36 PM..
skidplate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

The 1972 to 1980 page at the link below should get you what you need...

http://oljeep.com/gw/vin-index.html

EDIT: And I know how you feel - I searched for weeks to find an early VIN decoder for our '72 Commando before I found that site above.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Thanks for the link , but I have a similiar chart that I got out of a jeep service manual. I have a frame serial number, but I am not sure if it is a partial number, because I can only find 8 digits. Does the frame serial number only have 8 digits? And is it different than the VIN number? Thanks for any input...
vin-number-explaination1.jpg   vin-number-decoding-chart.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

The last 6 digits or so of the VIN are a serial number. Just cked my frame VIN stamp and I have 7 digits. I have a 1978 CJ7.

For Others I posted this in another Post:
The vin is also stamped on the top of the frame above the passenger rear axle. Look on top of frame, outermost widest part of the frame, for 1/4" tall letters and numbers and will be total of 2 inches long. May need to clean up with wire brush on grinder wheel and or remove the tire to see vin number. You may also get lucky and just need a flashlight and take a look over the tire to see vin#. Post your numbers and I can cross ref. the vin number for you.

There is also a engine block casting number on the drivers side low front of the engine. On the passenger side there is a stamped number twords the front and just below the head. The stamp block will tell the date of mfg for eng and the carb and cc it started with. This will be close to jeep dates but not exact since the engines were made seperatly. This will confirm the date of engine if you want to post it also. The head also has a casting number but the valve cover needs to be removed so I do not recommend getting this number. But if you ever remove the valve cover record the head casting number it is the center part of the head.

IF YOU STILL HAVE PROBLEMS you can post the VIN, block casting number, block date stamp, and I can break them down for you.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

My '77 CJ7 VIN number delema
By Skidplate77
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for responding to my post on the subject of decifering my VIN stamp on my frame. I copied what you said on an earlier post you had. I wire brushed my frame on the passenger side, on top of the frame at it's widest spot above the axle. I got a number, but I think it has 8 digits. Here they are:

J 2 7 9 3 7 7 8

The "2" may be a "9" and the numbers are so faint and very hard to read. The back curvature of both numbers, "2" and "9" look like a similiar style, but I figure it's a "2" because there is a bottom "-" straight line at the base of the second number. Also, the numbers are not exactly in a straight line. Looks like the numbers were stamped individually. Thanks for your help.

Dear Skidplate77,

A little confused why you sent the PM above. Your post above has all you need to break down the number. The offer for help was more for the engine than the vin. Also some of your numbers need to be letters and will refer to your post above.

Regards,
FRED
Unread 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Fred,

I know when the engine was made, and that was 1977. The engine still has a tag that is screwed into the passenger side valve cover, and I was able to decifer that... Sorry, I thought you were refering to helping me find my VIN number, maybe by decifering the frame serial number. I PM'd you because I wanted to see if you can decifer the frame serial number I had, without posting it on the board.

Thanks for your offer to help anyway, I appreciate it.

Last edited by skidplate77; 03-24-2008 at 08:36 PM..
skidplate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

with my apologies to Floridazed for stealing his excellent pic, here what the VIN stamp should look like on your frame

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
skidplate77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
with my apologies to Floridazed for stealing his excellent pic, here what the VIN stamp should look like on your frame.
Hoss
Thanks for the picture. My frame stamp is not that visible as that. I seem to have one extra digit. I'll post some pictures, I need to clean it up more.
Also can that serial number be decoded? has anyone done it?
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
HellsBells
1980 CJ7 

Not helpful but working on it.

Hi Guy's. I'm new to the forum. Recently bought a Cj7 and the title even has a shortage of numbers. The firewall plate is half rusted and the dash plate is missing. Deliberately cut off. What options do I have? I only have a few months to get it inspection ready and registered, or find a garage......
HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidplate77 View Post
Also can that serial number be decoded? has anyone done it?
What's to decode? All the serial number tells you is the sequential number of production for the model year. Alone it won't even tell you which model year. If there were one thousand Jeeps produced in 1978 (hypothetical example) the serial numbers would run from 0001 to 1,000. If you were certain of the model year you could get a ballpark estimate of the month of production by comparing to other known serial numbers (check Jeeps for sale on Ebay, which usually list the VIN), but that's all it will tell you, nothing about the drivetrain or options.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) 75-80 Jeep CJ

Character

1st

J

(Jeep Corp.)

Make

2nd

5 = 1975

6 = 1976
7 = 1977
8 = 1978
9 = 1979
0 = 1980

Year

3rd

A = Auto
F = 3 speed
M = 4 speed

Transmission

4th & 5th

83 = CJ-5

84 = CJ-6
93 = CJ-7

Model

6th

A = 3,750 lbs

E = 4,150 lbs

GVW

(Gross Vehicle Weight)

7th

A = 258ci, 1 bbl

C = 258ci, 2 bbl
E = 232ci, 1 bbl
H = 304ci, 2 bbl

Engine

8th - 13th

######

SSN

(Sequential Serial Number)

Sorry that is the best the cart will copy in. The Numbers are listed 1-13, desc, and then what they could be. The title, partial tag, and frame should help you get proof its correct. Hopefully. Good luck. The carb type will also be stamped on your engine date code, in that date code they list date of mfg & the carb type installed. The gross veh weight... the higher one was for hard tops. That should get you the proof and cross you need.
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Trying to follow along, but from what it sounds like you have a cj5 title but a cj7. The 304 is from a 77, but not the original titled cj5 as it was a 6 cyl.
So, from what I gather you have a useless cj5 title, and a cj7 with no title...
That being said you may have to go to the registry and see if they can "make" you a new title. Bring all of your paperwork with you. Or, try to register it with the tiltle you have and see what happens. It all depends how strict things are in your state.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #13
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJunk View Post
Trying to follow along, but from what it sounds like you have a cj5 title but a cj7. The 304 is from a 77, but not the original titled cj5 as it was a 6 cyl.
So, from what I gather you have a useless cj5 title, and a cj7 with no title...
That being said you may have to go to the registry and see if they can "make" you a new title. Bring all of your paperwork with you. Or, try to register it with the tiltle you have and see what happens. It all depends how strict things are in your state.
Well you have to notice it was a old thread... the new guy asked a question on the old thread. He has not mentioned his vins or what part he has. I hope he can use the partial vin plate, the frame stamp, and the motor stamp if the orginal. If he knows this and uses the pcs of puzzle he may get his title and prove its all concurrent.

I my not be corrrect but that is how I am reading it at this point.

good luck,
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
HellsBells
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
Well you have to notice it was a old thread... the new guy asked a question on the old thread. He has not mentioned his vins or what part he has. I hope he can use the partial vin plate, the frame stamp, and the motor stamp if the orginal. If he knows this and uses the pcs of puzzle he may get his title and prove its all concurrent.

I my not be corrrect but that is how I am reading it at this point.

good luck,
Hi Fred, Yes, sorry, I'm using the old thread to ask. Not used to forum edict. This seemed to be the best way.
See, the Jeep has new engine, carb, transmission, steering box, etc...
The quoted and pictured chassis VIN location is not visible. I don't have a frame lift. But Who would want to screw a Jeep up by doing that!?!? Also, It is coated really well.
From what you've said I need to carve out a few days and go to the DMV to solve this issue. Is that correct? Would you be so kind and tell me what I need to tell them to avoid delays? I don't have much free time working two jobs and trying to get this done. So far I have; Take the Jeep down there with the title.....Show them the Jeep. Tell them I'm not going to scrape down the frame to search for a few numbers....But, maybe I have too?
Really appreciate you guy's. You're all RockStars in my book!
Thanks\\

Chris
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
HellsBells
1980 CJ7 

Good start but...

Not sure why my previous response didn't post.

Fred,
I have a new engine, carb, transmission, steering box etc...
The chassis is coated thickly. Is this the only way I can prove the jeep and get a title? Based on your response I need to grind down where the serial number is. Take the title and the Jeep to the DMV and get it approved? Do you have any tips on what to say when I get there? I don't have a ton of free time.

I'm pretty sure this is a common issue with old jeeps. Just new to me
"Thanks" to all you guy's and your great help!

*Double post, Sorry. I waited over an hour and sent again. Even emailed the webmaster. Again, "Sorry"

Last edited by HellsBells; 01-10-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.