Hey fellas, How do you install the rod links kit clutch linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hey fellas, How do you install the rod links kit clutch linkage

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
agear
1984 CJ7 

Hey fellas, How do you install the rod links kit clutch linkage

I bought the ROD LINKS clutch rod and linkage kit ( with the heim joints you know). I got the rod installed okay. But have no idea how the clutch linkage is supposed to install. It just has a heim joint on one end and the other end is threaded. Was it supposed to come with a bell crank bracket or something or how does this thing go on ? I imagine the heim joint gets attached to the bell crank with a bolt. But I'm sure the threaded end of the linkage does not just go into the clutch fork so I tried to transfer over my end from my old clutch linkage but now it's too long to fit.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have the same setup on my 84.

Use a bolt, preferably a Shoulder Bolt, through the Heim Joint or Rod End and attach it with a locknut. The threaded end of the Rod End should be 3/8-24 fine thread. You can use a piece of all-thread to screw into the Rod End and lock in place with a 3/8-24 nut. Screw on another 3/8-24 nut, followed by the OEM hex adjuster. The other nut will lock and hold the adjuster in place after you adjusted for proper clutch pedal "free play". It's a good idea to install a small rubber piece at the end of the hex adjuster to prevent noise from the clutch linkage being pushed in and out. The factory installed one is seen in the photo below. A short piece of vacuum hose works good.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
agear
1984 CJ7 

Okay so I may have to remove the piece of all thread from the rod links linkage and get a shorter piece because its too long............
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Just use a hacksaw and cut it down to size
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
agear
1984 CJ7 

Should the kit have come with a bell crank ? Because my old linkage has a notch in it for a ball on the bell crank
Unread 03-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

No bell crank with kit, that's a separate item.

The ball studs should fit into a plastic bushing in the bell crank, held in place by a wire clip.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
agear
1984 CJ7 

I see what the problem was. There was a ball stud thing that bolted to the bell crank and went in the socket of the linkage. I just have to loosen that off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.