Herc'ing in the winter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Herc'ing in the winter

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

Herc'ing in the winter

Ok, so it's winter in Georgia. Trying to get the nerve up to herc my Jeep, and this weekend looks like 57 degrees with a chance of afternoon showers. Am I better off waiting for it to warm up a few more degrees?

Herc site claims between 32 and 95 degrees as optimal.

sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Bard
1985 CJ7 

A couple of things to consider. if all your prep is done and you have a heated garage which will maintain the same temp for 48hrs to cure, I would say you are good to go.
If you are going to do it outside, I would wait until you have some good consistent temp within a 10 degree variable, when you start dropping hardening time, it take longer to cure and having the possiblity it could not the way you want it to.
No sense in doing it and having it not set up correctly IMO.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
TexasGuns
1977 CJ7 

I Herculined mine this winter and it wasn't a good idea. It still looks OK and works perfectly, but it would have been a LOT easier and gone on smoother had I done it when it was warmer. I'd wait if I were you.

By the way, I think the temps I did mine at were in the low/mid 30s.
TexasGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Matusel3
1977 CJ5 

I have not used herculiner yet, but my biggest concern with doing it in the winter is the smell from what I hear.

How bad is the smell of herculiner? If I were to do it in a small garage with a space heater, would it be possible - or would the smell be too much? I would assume you need plenty of ventilation, how important is that?
-Dana 44 Rear Axel
Matusel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Beer man
1983 CJ7 

I did mine a couple weeks ago, it was about 55 degrees. I did it in my garage. It turned out great. I didn't think the smell was to overpowering. It was strong when you had your head down in the tub getting to the tight spots. I managed not get any on my body. I've heard some bad stories.
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
TexasGuns
1977 CJ7 

Nah, the smell isn't bad at all unless you stick some of it up your nose. I have a harder time with canned spray paint.

You've read it before I'm sure, but WEAR GLOVES, WEAR GLOVES, WEAR GLOVES. Did I mention wear gloves?

You'll never forgive yourself when this stuff gets on your skin. I didn't take the posts seriously and I lined my jeep without gloves. BIG MESSY mistake. Wear gloves.

Have a can of Acetone (it's fingernail polish for jeeps) ready in case you get it on the paint or your skin.
TexasGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

Hey Beerman, did you spray or roll on? How did it turn out? Weather has now been forecast at 64 degrees on Sat, and the rain is supposed to hold off till Sunday some time, so I may have the window I was looking for. Just need to finish the prep work and some taping, and go buy some refill cartridges for my respirator.
Unread 02-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Beer man
1983 CJ7 

I rolled it on and used a 2 in brush for the tight spots. I was really impressed how it turned out. After seeing the finished product I don't think I would pay to have a truck bed done or a tub. My brother and I didn't even use respirators. Garage door was open all day. The next morning the smell wasn't bad at all.
Beer man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

You guys are crazy spraying anything without respirators.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

If you can spray it, spray it. It'll turn out much more uniform. I shot some Herc into a tub that had been LineX'd. You can't even distinguish where the Herculiner ends and the LineX begins.

I used a $20 "Textured Paint" spray gun from Harbor Freight.

I've shot Herc in the 40s and 50s with no problem. I think Humidity affects drying/curing more than the temperatue.

That Herculiner is some nasty stuff on skin. Once it dries, only time will take it off... imagine what it would be like coating the inside of your lungs.
Brushing it on wouldn't be bad but I would never shoot it without a respirator.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #11
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

OK Beerman, I don't know how you survived without a respirator. God graced Atlanta with a 69 degree day, so after prepping all week I finally got the herc laid down doing the roller / brush method. From the first brush on I was instantly impressed. This stuff rocks! Can't wait to get everything bolted back in. If you have been hesitant to go the herc route because you fear doing it yourself, don't be. With the right prep this was no problem. Actually, the only thing I would do different is the tape job. Bought the 3m 2inch Painters tape, but saw an upgraded version for like 7 bucks a roll, super gentle or some crap. When removing the standard painters tape I lost about a 4 inch section of paint. Looks like I'll need to take the herc over the rail now!
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbookie View Post
Actually, the only thing I would do different is the tape job. Bought the 3m 2inch Painters tape, but saw an upgraded version for like 7 bucks a roll, super gentle or some crap. When removing the standard painters tape I lost about a 4 inch section of paint.
Oh hell no! That sucks. I just got my fresh paint home today, I'll be Herc'n the underside as well as the inside of the tub before I do anything else.

Have the surfaces POR-15'd right now. Will be scuffing / sanding them and spraying a coat of POR "Tri-Coat Primer" and then spraying the Herculiner.

Unread 02-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
sgtbookie
1982 CJ5 

I'd try the upgraded tape, wasn't but 2.50 more. My paint job is still in pretty good shape, kind of surprised it did that. I'll post some picks of my herc job once the wife gets home with the camera on Monday. I am really pleased!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.