Help wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help wont start

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
snowshoehunter
1977 CJ5 

Help wont start

I have a 1977 cj 5 with a amc 360. I had it running last couple summers but didn't get to run it much, it is a work in progress right now. Last fall I went to start after sitting for a couple months so I could put it in the garage for the winter and it wouldn't start just was clicking, so had to push it in. Sounded like the soloniod wouldn't hold in. This summer I finally have time to tinker on it, I charged the battery and tried starting it again with the same result. I then tried jumping the soloniod a few times as well as tapping on the starter and soloniod and got nothing. So I replaced the soloniod just because and took the starter out. hooked it up directly to a battery and it hummed for a second and then slowly spun, so I replaced the starter too. Now when I go to start it, still get nothing, the gauges on the dash and lights come on an work until I turn the key all the way to start then everything dies until I turn the key off and disconnect and reconnect the battery. I took a wire brush to all the battery connections and terminals as well as the one on the starter and the ground to the engine block. I did get it to turn over when I hooked it up to my truck battery but it wouldn't stop until I unhooked the jumper cables even with the key off. Im thinking my jeep battery might be on its way out so if have been trying to get it to start hooking up to my truck battery. The last few times I have tried the lights have been coming on a lot brighter, but go out when I turn the switch all the way to start and it wont turn over. Not sure what to try next, was thinking maybe ignition box or switch in the column maybe.

snowshoehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
90lsturbo
scratches add character..

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoehunter View Post
I have a 1977 cj 5 with a amc 360. I had it running last couple summers but didn't get to run it much, it is a work in progress right now. Last fall I went to start after sitting for a couple months so I could put it in the garage for the winter and it wouldn't start just was clicking, so had to push it in. Sounded like the soloniod wouldn't hold in. This summer I finally have time to tinker on it, I charged the battery and tried starting it again with the same result. I then tried jumping the soloniod a few times as well as tapping on the starter and soloniod and got nothing. So I replaced the soloniod just because and took the starter out. hooked it up directly to a battery and it hummed for a second and then slowly spun, so I replaced the starter too. Now when I go to start it, still get nothing, the gauges on the dash and lights come on an work until I turn the key all the way to start then everything dies until I turn the key off and disconnect and reconnect the battery. I took a wire brush to all the battery connections and terminals as well as the one on the starter and the ground to the engine block. I did get it to turn over when I hooked it up to my truck battery but it wouldn't stop until I unhooked the jumper cables even with the key off. Im thinking my jeep battery might be on its way out so if have been trying to get it to start hooking up to my truck battery. The last few times I have tried the lights have been coming on a lot brighter, but go out when I turn the switch all the way to start and it wont turn over. Not sure what to try next, was thinking maybe ignition box or switch in the column maybe.
I believe you should have one relay on the back of the firewall flick it and see what it does, my old 80 cj5 had that problem and it ended up being a relay just a thought
1984 cj7- new rig and no rust lol

#89 UJC
"Real men dont let their friends drive prius's"
90lsturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You still have s bad connection failing under load. Don't forget battery cables have 2 ends that need cleaning. You also might have a dead battery sucking down the boost for some of that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mike is right, it is probably not the components but the cabling.

The cables can corrode internally and the ends lose their connection. Even a cable that looks good on the outside can be toast inside.

I have a set of jumper cables and if in doubt I hook them to the battery and then the negative to the block and positive to the solenoid.

Alternatively it could be your battery. You can have it tested or put it when fully charged under heavy load for 15 seconds and see if it still registers more than 10.5 Volts.

Either way it is easy to misdiagnose cable and batterty problems as solenoid and/or starter issues.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
delirious1
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoehunter View Post
I did get it to turn over when I hooked it up to my truck battery but it wouldn't stop until I unhooked the jumper cables even with the key off.
I agree with everyone else about the ground. Next time, put your battery from your truck negative to chasis. Positive to side of solenoid not connected to starter and then run an alligater clip to the S terminal to activate the solenoid and once it's started, remove the clip.
delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
snowshoehunter
1977 CJ5 

Thanks for all the info. This afternoon I hooked jumper cables from the battery side of the solenoid to the positive on my truck battery and the negative from the battery to the engine block on the jeep. turn the key and it turned over strong but wont stop turning over even after the key is turned all the way back to the off position. I guess I am going to replace the negative from the engine block to the battery, it was melted a little from being close to my headers, and a different battery to start with. Not sure why it wouldn't stop turning over after the key was off maybe the switch is bad? I believe all the gauges and lights on the dash turned off with the key though just the engine kept going.
Unread 07-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The fender solenoid has been burned from arcing with that low battery, you will need a new one. If there isn't enough power to the coil in the solenoid, it doesn't pull the plunger up hard enough and it arcs out and welds the contact together. If it releases, it is still a burned spot.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
snowshoehunter
1977 CJ5 

I think it does release after a few seconds now that you mention it. I can hear it click about 10 sec after I pull the positive cable, looks like I will have to get another one lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.