HELP! Trying to install new wiper motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > HELP! Trying to install new wiper motor

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
kalaika63
1982 CJ7 

HELP! Trying to install new wiper motor

I have a 82 CJ7 and just bought a new wiper motor. I removed the old one by taking the 3 bolts off the motor and the nut and washer off the small bracket on the end of the motor shaft. For the life of me I can't figure out how it was installed in the first place, it was hard enough trying to get the nut off. Does anyone know if there is a video or illustration out there that shws how to install the new motor?
Thanks, Craig

kalaika63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

So you really should not have to take the nut off of the motor shaft (it's very important that crank arm be in the correct position when everything is back together or you can break linkage). The new motor should already have a new crank arm on it, so you shouldn't have to transfer from the old motor to the new.

The way you're supposed to take the motor off is to remove the 3 bolts that hold it to the windshield frame (like you already did). Then pop the oval shaped plastic cover out of the windshield frame (the one close to the driver side). Behind the plastic cover you will find the pivot mechanism and linkage connection to the driver side wiper arm (take careful note of how that is all assembled as it is important to get it back together exactly the same way). On the pivot arm there is a little clip (kind of a u-shape c-clip thing). slide the clip off and the linkage can be removed from the wiper pivot. Then you can remove the motor with the short linkage arm attached. Another clip holds the linkage to the motor crank (similar to the one you just removed from the wiper pivot). Pop the clip off to get the linkage arm from the motor and install it on the new wiper motor. Put it all back together in the opposite order that you took it apart.

Be sure to put a little fresh grease on the linkage connectors while you're at it.

PS- you didn't ask, so I assume you found the wiring connector behind the dash..
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
kalaika63
1982 CJ7 

I have another problem, I thought I had to remove the small arm from the motor. Now I don't know the exact orientation it was in. I looked at pics of new ones online but I'm getting varied results. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Luck or prayer depending on your religious beliefs...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Doesn't the new motor have the crank arm already on it?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
kalaika63
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8
Doesn't the new motor have the crank arm already on it?
Stupid me took it off
Unread 01-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
jammer1

You're best bet is to find someone around you or one at a bone yard. If you can take yours with you, you can match it. Theirs no groove or mark so you have to mark it with them side by side.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Bolt the motor up and wire it up. Turn it on, and then turn it back off. The motor will now be in the park position. Now put the arm on so it is in the correct position for the wipers.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #9
87MJTim
1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Bolt the motor up and wire it up. Turn it on, and then turn it back off. The motor will now be in the park position. Now put the arm on so it is in the correct position for the wipers.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
FYI - the wiper's resting position is to the passenger's side. If you positions them to the driver's side, the will sweep on to the hood.

87 Comanche, 4.0, BA10/5, D44
84 CJ7, 4.2, AX15 (Formerly T5)
87MJTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #10
kalaika63
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I can handle it now, probably have to do it by trial and error but I'll be an expert by the time I'm finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.