Help with timing and setting up a distributor - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Help with timing and setting up a distributor

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
There isn't any difference.

Some 'Points' coils have built in resistor (internally resisted) and others need an external ignition resistor.
Since he's got a coil from Prestolite unit, it will work OK, just needs to add an ignition resistor.
JH,
You start off saying there isn't any difference. Then you say points coils have a built in resistor and the others don't.

That seems like a huge difference to me!

So, if a person happens to have a resistance wire, AND uses an internally resisted coil then they would have a double resisted ignition system. Reason for my question is wondering what would happen to the voltage?

See where I'm going?

06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i had to change points so often on my karmann ghia, i could do it by the light of a cig lighter.
Me too man, lol.

I had a '64 Baja back in high school. I can remember 'parking' on C-Hill and I'd have to jump out of the bug, mid-smooche, and run back to unplug the smokin'-hot coil because I had the stereo on for an hour. No 'acc'.

Ahhh, the good old days.

Shawn
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
JH,
You start off saying there isn't any difference. Then you say points coils have a built in resistor and the others don't.

That seems like a huge difference to me!

So, if a person happens to have a resistance wire, AND uses an internally resisted coil then they would have a double resisted ignition system. Reason for my question is wondering what would happen to the voltage?

See where I'm going?

Not really,
You can buy 'Internally Resisted' coils,
Or you can buy coils where you need an external resistor.

They usually have 'Internal Resistor' or 'Do NOT USE WITH ELECTRONIC IGNITION' printed right on the side of them...

And you have to remember,
There hasn't been much made since '75 that had an serious internal resistor built into it from the factory,
So you REALLY have a hard time tracking down an internally resisted coil these days for the farm equipment that used them...

You have to remember,
MOST of the internally resisted coils were for farm equipment that sat for two or three seasons every year,
Since most farm equipment didn't use 'Resistor Wires' (and I don't know why),
The ceramic block type resistors were use...

So they got wet, rained in , frozen, rusted, ect.
The ceramic block type resistors didn't live in farm equipment because of moisture, lack of use, weather, farm chemicals, ect.

SO 'SOME' farm equipment used internally resisted coils, it got the resistor out of the weather ....

IF you run in to one these days, go play the lottery since you are on a lucky streak!

---------------------------

It's like mentioning CJs used a closed knuckle Dana 25 or 27 in the past,
And you MIGHT see one someday,
But you shouldn't run into one from about 1970 forward to present day...

Low production number and attrition have pretty much taken all the old closed knuckle CJ diffs,
The rest people don't notice the difference,
So if someone finally DOES notice one, they have a ton of questions...

---------------------------

Chrysler is the only CAR company I know of that used internally resisted coils in any numbers, and that was only for like two years before they dropped it...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.